My Sunshine | Teen Ink

My Sunshine

April 23, 2016
By Writeupmyalley SILVER, Mena, Arkansas
Writeupmyalley SILVER, Mena, Arkansas
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"What about second breakfast?" - Pippin from Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
"Broken isn't the same as unfixable." - Jacin from the Lunar Chronicles


Bree swirled her wine in her glass, watching the couples dance. Glancing at Tristan she knew how lucky the others were. Not knowing what’s coming. Not having the weight of guilt on their shoulders during their final breaths. Tristan finally met her gaze, and she knew he was thinking the same thing.

“Will you dance with me, one last time my love?” Tristan whispered, raising his hand to her. With a sad smile she accepted his hand. The song playing was a happy tune, with You Are My Sunshine mingling with the notes of another song. It was a unique piece, and it almost lifted her spirits. Tristan pulled her closer, and nuzzled his face in her hair. If she listened carefully she could make out his words.
“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.” As the first explosion went off, Bree could hear the people screaming, and the other couples run off the dance floor. Tears swam in her eyes, begging to be released. Instead she held on tighter to Tristan, and listened to his last promise; his last vow to her.
“You make me happy when skies are gray.” The second explosion went off, closer than the last one.
“You never know dear, how much I love you.” Third bomb, close enough to rattle the floor beneath their feet, but still they swayed to the song, holding on to each other.
“Please don’t take my…” The last bomb went off, silencing the music.


The author's comments:

I know it will sound weird, but I actually got the inspiration for this short story from Pinterest. I found a pin that was talking about imagining your favorite OTP dancing during the end of the world. Instead of writing a fan fiction I made up my own characters and back story. I hope you all enjoy it, and that it helps you see that anybody can be a writer.