The Other Side of the Fence | Teen Ink

The Other Side of the Fence

By seipele20 SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
seipele20 SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

The early spring sun coats my tanned arms.as I grip the bat hanging to my side. I'm up. I carefully make my way over to home base, smoothing over each patch of dewy grass under my cleats. As I stand there, building up my momentum, I glaze my eyes over the crowd. Through the sparsely populated bleachers it's not hard to spot her. I quickly looked back to the pitcher before her eyes met mine. The image of her dark billowy hair and fair skin burn in my mind as I hit the ball. It soars over the field and I take off.

~
The slick metal bench chills my legs through my leggings. I stare blankly at my grass stained converse, trying to avoid any attention. The saturday baseball games are my only means of escape from the raging havoc of my life. Getting to see him is a bonus. Somewhere between staring at the ground and the field I finally see him walk up to bat. He moves with such ease and confidence. He knows he's good, but he never brags… he just smiles. A genuine smile. I look away.

~
My cleats ricashade off the thin dirt as I stride closer to the first base. My feet seem to move faster than my harsh rapid breaths. I grin as my feet collide with the white square of success, one down three to go. I pass every base with ease. As I sprint to home my gaze shifts to the girl behind the fence. Her shimmering eyes meet mine and it makes my stride lengthen and my pace quicken. The crowd roars once I reach home base but I never take my eyes of her.

~
I watch as he sprints straight through every base. I can’t take my eyes off him, and the weird thing is it seems he too can’t look away. He wins us the game. The celebrating is immense, even with the fairly medium sized crowd. I wait for everything to settle down as people start to head home. Father’s pat their sons on the back, students chatter loudly with their friends, and kids walk out of the stands with toothy grins. But I don’t move. I don’t move because he doesn’t move. He just looks out at me and smiles. He starts to walk towards the now empty bleachers. Hesitantly, I pry myself away from the stone cold bleachers. And now I am smiling, as I make my way to the other side of the fence.

~
The crowd leaves in a gust of excitement and all I can think of is her. I slowly make my way over as a magnet pulls her to me and me to her. This is when I realize how much more beautiful she looks, on the other side of the fence.