Where They Met | Teen Ink

Where They Met

March 15, 2016
By theonlyedith SILVER, Lake Forest, Illinois
theonlyedith SILVER, Lake Forest, Illinois
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To love is to act." -Victor Hugo


The D.C rain felt a lot like Chinese water torture. It was steady, constant, and showed no signs of stopping. Aubrey surveyed the upscale restaurant, looking nervously about at the unfamiliar faces surrounding her. “C’mon Aubrey, lighten up. Have a drink,” said her friend, shoving some red-tinted c***tail near her face. She took a fortifying sip. “You’ve been here, what? Three weeks? Have you met anyone new yet? Any guys?” Lauren asked, giving her doe-eyes over the top of her glass.
“I have to use the bathroom,” Aubrey excused herself, clutching her purse to her chest. She walked quickly across the restaurant and took refuge behind the orange-painted door with a sketched toilet on it. She leaned back against the door, once inside, heart beating fast. The last twenty minutes of interrogation on her new life, new home, new job drove her insane. She’d come to D.C. to escape the questions and the people, and her plans had been foiled by Lauren, an old family friend who insisted on taking her out twice a week. Tonight’s location was actually quite lovely, full of colorful decor and topped with delicious Spanish tapas, but the conversation made everything seem bitter.
Taking deep breaths, she peeled herself off of the door and took a step toward a stall. The door suddenly flew open, taking her by surprise. A man stood in the doorway, a tall man with dark, dark hair and chocolatey eyes that bore into her. She squeaked and ran into a stall, slamming the door behind her. “This is the ladies!” she whispered loudly. He laughed.
“Yes, it is,” his voice rumbled. “But it’s also the guy’s.” She looked, panicked, at the graffiti covering the walls around her, trying to gather her courage.
“What?” she replied, in a small voice. “It’s both,” he said, laughing. “It’s co-ed.”
“Oh,” she muttered, looking at the feet standing near her stall. They were clad in dark leather with lighter lacings, and covered blue socks with pool balls on them. “Nice socks,” she said, with more volume.
“Well, thank you. So… bathroom girl, what’s your name?”
“Aubrey,” she responded, back at a whisper.
“Oh cool, I have a cousin named Audrey. I’m Cole,”
Aubrey, she thought. My name is Aubrey.
“Are you going to come out any time soon, or am I going to have to wait her while my dinner gets cold?”
Slowly, she opened the door, and peered out. Cole stood there, as handsome as her first glance, grinning sheepishly. “Can I walk you back to your table?” he asked, offering her an arm.
The bathroom completely forgotten, Aubrey nodded and linked her arm with his, biting her lip to hide her smile. Cole escorted her back into the busy confines of the restaurant. “Where to?” he asked. She pointed to her seat, and to her surprise, he pulled out her chair for her. Chagrined, she sat down, thanking him quietly. He pulled out another chair behind hers and sat down facing the opposite direction, quickly engaging in conversation with the man across from him. All this time, she thought. He’s been right here and I couldn’t even see him. She peeked over her shoulder only to see him turning around quickly, knocking his water glass over. He grinned at her again as he mopped the table with his napkin. Stifling her giggles, she turned back to the astonished stare of Lauren.
“Well, who is this hunk you’ve found?” she said, raising her eyebrows and tipping her glass in Cole’s direction.
“A friend. Cole,” replied Aubrey.
“Where can I get one?” Lauren inquired, hiding her engagement ring under the table.
“Oh, knock it off Laur. You know you’re way happier with Jeff than anyone else,”
“Oh, I know. But I am a connoisseur of eye candy,” Leaning across the table, Lauren, in a loud whisper, said “Hi Cole!”
Cole jumped and turned around. “Hi there,” he replied, introducing himself and shaking Lauren’s hand. “Hi Audrey,” he said, giving her eyebrows.
“Well, Cole, I think you need something before you leave,” Lauren started, taking a pen out of her purse and scribbling something on her drink napkin. “Here, “ she said, handing it to him. “Aubrey’s number,”
“Wait, wait, wait, Laur, I--”
“Thanks,” said Cole, cutting off Aubrey’s concerned ramblings. “See you soon,” squeezing her shoulder as he and his companion walked out.
“You’re welcome,” Lauren smirked.
Aubrey held her head in her hands, sighing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following Tuesday, Lauren complacently made plans for dinner at the same restaurant at the same time, much to Aubrey’s dismay.
“He called me,” she argued into her phone. “And I picked up, and, and I just couldn’t say anything! I was silent until he hung up! I can’t see him!”
Lauren just laughed. “You’re coming to dinner,” and hung up.
Aubrey harrumphed in dissatisfaction and kicked her feet up onto a table in her modest apartment, grumbling to herself about the perils of friendship. Lauren had no right to decide what was good for me, she thought, rubbing her patterned socks across the wooden surface of the table. Her toe circled a particular woodgrain as she pictured Cole, feeling guilty about his failed phone call. She looked at the clock on her phone. 5:48. Grumbling again, she lugged herself off the couch to get ready for her impending dinner date.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Walking into the restaurant, Aubrey tugged down the end of her black dress that just didn’t seem to want to stay put. It serves me right for trying, she murmured. He’s probably not even here. On a whim that Cole would be in the same seat as last week, Aubrey had dolled herself up a bit--and even put on heels--to look her best. She planned to apologize for the awkward phone call and try to gather her courage and ask him out.
She eyed the room, scanning the pleased faces that sipped their colored c***tails, laughing and speaking only of  the politest of topics.
“Looking for someone?” Lauren’s smooth yet seemingly irritating voice whispered in her ear. Aubrey rolled her eyes, shook her head and dragged Lauren toward their table. She exhaled as she tried to mask her disappointment with exhaustion. “You look different tonight,” Lauren smirked knowingly.
“I just...felt like dressing up for once,” she said casually.
“And the heels?” Lauren asked smugly.
“I had to find some way of expelling the dust on them. It’s lonely in the back of my closet,” Aubrey joked. Lauren’s giggle echoed in the glass of her martini.
“Are you sure you weren’t expecting to see someone?” Lauren probed, fiddling with the umbrella in her drink. Lauren was relentless when it came to questioning. There was no stopping her from entering a full-on interrogation.
“Perhaps I dressed like this for you, Laur,” Aubrey smiled sweetly.
Lauren’s laugh sounded louder this time as she threw her head back. “While I would be flattered if that were the case, I am no fool, Aubrey. Is ‘pretty boy’ supposed to be here?”
Aubrey’s cheeks flushed as she shook her head. “No! Not that I know of anyway…” She bit her tongue to keep from rambling. Why would he come back to the same restaurant exactly a week later? The tapas were good here but maybe not good enough to merit a weekly visit., her subconscious murmured.
Lauren’s smile faded as she examined Aubrey’s face. “You like him, hmm?” Aubrey’s expression was enough of an answer. “Waiter? Two more appletinis, please. And make one of them a double.”
Two hours and six drinks later, Aubrey was ready to leave. She followed Lauren out of the restaurant as Lauren hailed a cab. Drunken giggling was heard as her blonde-headed friend slid into the taxi. As Aubrey stuck one heel into the car, she saw a familiar face pass her. A pretty, familiar face. Was it possible? Aubrey hesitated, her fingers flying to push the hair from her face. She inhaled and pivoted her feet, marching back into the restaurant. Cole’s casual laugh, which merited a heart-flutter, could be heard across the room. Aubrey commanded her leaden feet to carry her toward his table as the alcohol sang in her veins. “You!” she hailed, pointing her finger in his direction, staggering slightly. Cole looked up abruptly, his eyes wide and alarmed. His startled expression began to fade as a smile tugged on his lips.  “Audrey?” he queried.
“It’s AUBREY, pretty boy, Au-Breeeee…” she slurred. “And you,” she paused, giggling, “owe me a date.”
“I thought you didn’t-- you didn’t answer my call,” Cole responded, standing up.
“Nah, you’re pretty. I’m kinda pretty. We’d have pretty kids, pretty boy,”
She looked to a couple sitting at a nearby table with their child in a highchair.
“Like them!” she exclaimed, pointing again. He laughed and walked over to her.
“So… pretty boy, wanna go on a date?”
“When?” he asked, smiling.
“Right now!” she laughed, jumping up and down. “We can go dance!”
“Mmhm, dance,” Cole replied, nodding to his brother across the room. He nodded back.
“C’mon, Aubrey, let’s go,” he said, a little more forcefully. She followed him out of the restaurant, courage beginning to die as realization replaced her audacity.
“I...I am so sorry,” she gushed, biting down hard on her bottom lip. She looked around at the censorious faces which seemed to watch her through the window as though she were a wild, untamed beast who had escaped it’s rusty confines. She swallowed the dry lump in her throat as she rushed towards the door, stumbling through on her heels. She tripped slightly, a loud laugh echoing into the street. “Taxi!” She shouted.
“Aubrey, wait,” Cole demanded softly, following her closely.
“N-no, I have to go,” she said breathlessly. She approached the impending taxi. Cole eyed the driver.
“I don’t think so.”
“What?” Aubrey asked as she felt him grab ahold of her wrist.
“You’re not getting into that taxi. You’re drunk and beautiful. It’s not safe,” he explained gently. Aubrey began to protest as he slid into the taxi beside her. “Just let me make sure you get home safely,” he whispered with a warm smile.
“You don’t-”
“Aubrey, I’m doing this. Now cough up your address,” he smiled. Aubrey began to grin as she examined him. She nodded slightly as the words ran off her tongue.
______________________________________________________________

“C’mon Champ, you’re doing great,” Cole coaxed, gently leading her through the door.
“Welcome to my humble abode!” she exhaled, twirling around. Cole’s deep laugh sounded through the room. “May I offer you a drink?” She questioned, skipping over to the fridge.
“No, no thank you, though,” he said with a small smile.
She pouted, tilting a bottle of red wine back in forth. “But I don’t want to drink alone.”
“I think you’ve had enough for tonight, don’t you?” he asked. Aubrey hummed, furrowing her brow as she contemplated his question.
She lifted a shoulder slightly. “No…?” she tried.
“Wrong answer,” he said, scolding her playfully. He slipped the bottle from her finger tips and set it on the counter.
“But-”
“Hey, you wanted to dance, right?” A grin replaced Aubrey’s pout as she nodded shyly. Cole half-smiled. “Music?” he questioned. Aubrey pointed at a radio behind him, biting her bottom lip once again. He ambled towards the radio and flipped the switch as the chorus of  “Pour Some Sugar on Me” filled the room.
Aubrey wrinkled her nose in disgust. “I hate this song,” she mumbled.
“I love this song,” he said, laughing. He gestured for her to come closer. Aubrey approached him apprehensively, tucking her hair behind her ears. Cole smiled reassuringly as he took her hand in his. To her utter dismay, he started singing along in a gravelly voice, twirling her.
“You actually like this?” she asked breathlessly.
“Oh baby,” he replied and returned to his horrific singing. Aubrey tried to keep a straight face, wobbling on her heels, but couldn’t manage it when he started air-guitaring at “crazy little woman in a one man show.” She snorted, and he got more into it, sliding onto his knees and throwing his head back, tossing his hair. Finally she doubled over, laughing uncontrollably, and fell on top of him. He held her up, and when she’d recovered, Aubrey looked up at his face. Taking a deep breath, she leaned in a little closer, but he just pulled her aside and kissed her forehead.
“Time for bed!” he said with forced cheer.
“But--” Aubrey protested, but Cole picked her up off of her feet and slung her over his shoulder. “Hey!” she shouted, but he didn’t stop in his trek to her room. Pulling her torturous heels off of her feet and putting her gently down onto her bed. Like a nervous mother hen, he tucked the covers all around her and thoroughly plumped her pillow several times. She giggled. He gave her a funny look and she tried to hide her grin. Giving her shoulder a final squeeze, he made to leave the room.
“Wait!” she said hurriedly. He stopped and turned around.
“Can you stay?”
Cole smiled and turned off the lights. He crossed back to her, kissed her cheek.
“I’ll be right in the other room. I’m a couch man.”
Aubrey smiled to herself and drifted off to sleep.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aubrey crawled out of bed, head pounding. She trudged into the kitchen, wiping the sleep from her eyes and started, realizing that there was a man on her couch. It took a few seconds for it to sink in that it was Cole, and that he had spent the night gentlemanly on her couch. Groaning, she headed for the coffee maker, tossing grinds into the machine. The luscious smell of coffee warmed her senses. The beep from the machine woke Cole, who also started, and dragged himself--zombie-like--toward the welcoming beacon of coffee.
“Good morning,” he said in a rumbly, just-woken man voice that sent shivers down her spine. She offered a shy smile. He returned it with a confident one as he approached her.
“How’s the head?” He asked.
“I feel like a million nails are being hammered into my brain all at once,” she groaned. He moved a piece of hair from her face. In a way, it comforted her.
“I should probably take a shower,” she said softly.
“Yeah. I’ll join you,” he said bluntly.
“What? I...you-”
“I’m kidding, Aubrey,” he grinned, taking the cup of coffee from her hand and walking back towards the couch. He took a seat, chuckling over the rim of the cup as he took a sip. Aubrey laughed in relief as she headed towards the bathroom. “Unless of course…”
“No!” She squeaked. Cole’s laughed echoed as she saw him kick his feet up onto the coffee table. She smiled to herself and grabbed a towel. She jumped slightly as a loud pounding resounded against the door. Before she could move, Cole had gotten up to get it. She heard the door swing open slowly.
“What the hell is wrong with you?” A voice boomed. Aubrey froze in place as she dropped the towel she’d grabbed. She silently stepped towards the door and peered around the side of it. Cole stood in front of a familiar man, running his hands through his hair. “You stayed the night? And here you are, sipping coffee. I should have known,” the voice spat, venom dripping from his tone.
“Matthew,” Cole warned. It was Matthew, Cole’s brother. Aubrey relaxed but only slightly.
“Don’t you remember what happened last time? Don’t let this happen again, Cole,” he said.
“Matthew, I promise you that history isn’t repeating itself,” Cole said calmly.
“You’re damn right it’s not because we’re leaving. Now,” his brother demanded.
“Listen, I appreciate your concern, brother,” Cole said through his teeth. “But I can take care of myself.”
“When you texted me where you were last night, I thought to myself, it’ll be fine, Cole is a big boy. He’s smart. But then you stayed the night and did who the hell knows what. Did your last incident not teach you a lesson?” Matthew shouted.
“Why do you think I’m here in D.C, Matthew? Of course I learned my lesson! I’m not a fool.”
“No, you’re not a fool. So stop acting like one and let me drive you home,” Matthew scowled.
“No.”
“Cole…” he warned.
“Not now. I’ll meet you at the car in ten, okay?”
His brother nodded stiffly, and turned away, shutting the door swiftly behind him. Aubrey shook a little, hiding behind the bathroom door, her skin beginning to crawl. 
“Aubrey?” Cole called, in a much sweeter tone than he had used with his brother.
“In the bathroom!” she squeaked, trying to rid herself of the shivers.
“Can I come in?” he asked, knocking lightly.
“I guess,” she replied, picking up a towel to give her hands something to do.
Cole entered the tiny room and smiled her way. She tried to return it, but it came out as a grimace. “You feeling okay, Champ?” he asked.
“Actually, no. I think I had too much coffee and not enough food.”
“Ah… So, uh, I don’t know if you overheard but--”
“I think it’d be a good idea if you left.”
“Oh,” he replied, a little startled. “Sure… So I’ll see you soon?”
She nodded. He leaned in, but she turned her head to the side so his kiss landed on her cheek. Still taken aback, he smiled half-heartedly, thanked her, and left.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fourteen days. Fourteen days of simply existing. Aubrey had gone through the motions day by day. She’d avoided Lauren’s interrogation while also ignoring Cole’s calls. Except this time, Aubrey had failed. In the midst of her exhaustion, she’d half-heartedly agreed to a dinner with Lauren. She attempted to get out of it but Lauren wasn’t allowing it.
“Lauren, why do you keep dragging me here? You know how I feel about this. Something is clearly wrong.”
“Yeah, it’s no wonder he’s so radio-silent,” Lauren snarkily replied, indicating the two missed calls on Aubrey’s phone. “C’mon. If you really wanted to avoid him, you wouldn’t keep saying yes.”
“It’s not like I have a choice,” Aubrey grumbled. Lauren snorted, but said no more, swirling her drink in front of her.
“Why are you so nervous, miss tappy-feet?” Aubrey inquired, kicking her friend’s busy legs under the table. “If anything, it should be me.”
“Yeah, it should be,” muttered Lauren, pointedly glancing at the door.
“You didn’t--” Aubrey started, but Lauren just smiled. “What did you tell him?” she said in an angry whisper, face growing pale as she saw who had just walked in the door.
“Just that you were ready to listen.” Lauren crossed her arms and nodded to Cole, who trudged over.
“Well I’m not,” Aubrey said, also crossing her arms.
“Shame.”
Cole arrived at their table. “Hi Cole!” Lauren gushed, squeezing his arm. Aubrey rolled her eyes.
“I’m beginning to think I was mislead,” Cole said nervously, rubbing the back of his neck. Aubrey wrinkled her nose, swinging her foot back and forth to the beat of her racing heart.
“Have a seat, Cole.” Lauren attempted to pull him into a chair, but he cut her off.
“Actually, I was hoping I could talk to Aubrey alone. Outside, maybe.”
“Oh, no, no, that won’t be necessary,” Aubrey replied. “Anything you have to say to me, you should be able to say in front of everyone. If it’s the truth, at least.”
Cole just stood there for a moment, a little dumbstruck.
“Aubrey,” he strained. Cole’s brother strided inside the restaurant with a frown.
“No!” She said, standing from her seat. “Tell me here. In front of everyone so you can’t lie.”
Cole’s face was red as he swallowed his embarrassment and stepped back. He glanced around at the people staring at him with judgmental glares. Aubrey began to nod in understanding as she pushed past him.
“Aubrey, wait,” Cole mumbled. He took a deep breath. “I loved her.”
“What?”
“I thought she loved me but she didn’t,” he choked.  “She was just using me. She filmed us….and she circulated it. I had no idea but she’d published it under my name,” he said breathlessly. He took another shaky breath. “I should have told you but...it was so embarrassing, I…”
Aubrey abruptly headed to the strange co-ed bathroom that she had grown all-too familiar with.
“Aubrey!” Cole called.
She continued to the bathroom, inhaling sharply. She’d been wrong. He didn’t do anything wrong or make any mistakes, it was the girl who’d wronged him.
Aubrey slammed the door shut behind her, her breathing quickening. She looked at her flushed face in the mirror, and drummed her fingers on the edge of the sink. The fluorescents made her looked haunted, gaunt and sickly. She pinched her cheeks, trying to look a little more alive, but the epiphany that had just been thrust upon her had drained her of all life and color.
What… the hell… am I gonna do? she wondered, looking for answers in her reflection. She shook her head and paced. I just don’t know, I don’t know, I dunno, I. Don’t. Know. “I’m so stupid!” she groaned, kicking the stall door open in front of her. She walked in and pushed it shut, feeling lethargic and depressed. The poor guy did nothing wrong. Stupid assumptions. Stupid phone. Stupid me. Stupid--
Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a stall closing beside her. She peered under stall and saw familiar feet, clad in dark leather with lighter lacings, and covered black socks with champagne glasses on them. Elation flooding her veins as she smiled.
“This is the ladies,” she said.
“Yeah...but it’s also the guy’s.”


The author's comments:

My friend, Mary, and I have very similar writing styles, and we decided to co-author a story. The inspiration behind "where they met" is a restaurant in Washington D.C. called Jaleo--a Spanish tapas place. We hope that our story makes you smile a little and gives a little hope to us single, hopeless romantics. Enjoy!