Infinite Eyes | Teen Ink

Infinite Eyes

By citrea BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
citrea BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don’t always like." -Lemony Snicket

Your eyes met mine. Your pupils bowed and smiled- pulled out my chair and invited me to stay for dinner. A true gentleman. Your eyelids fluttered and we laughed. Our sing song voices echoed as we exchanged life stories. We held hands. You asked to go out again sometime. I gladly agreed. We met up again that week- ecstatic and electric. My eyelashes waved in greeting. We went on a walk. Simply talked. I stared into your irises and saw imaginary numbers- perplexing and mysterious. We walked further and I realized you were a risk worth taking.
We were in love with each other. The whites of my eyes were brighter than ever. I woke up happy and my heart was dancing with the indescribable joy of seeing you. Before I knew it we were traveling and trusting and doing all of those things that you never thought you’d be ready to do. Time ceased for a small infinity. Our eyes were hooded with the bliss of adoration. Life was grand but mostly because I was spending it with you.
You blinked. I blinked. There was a period where our gazes became distant and wavering. There were too many infinities between our love sick glances and fantasies. We were older and there was no time for aimlessly walking. There was always a place to be and things to see and quite frankly we didn’t always feel a need to be together. Our eyes dilated to the newfound darkness. I felt lonely and didn’t adjust as quickly. Your pupils seemed to be just fine.
One day I glanced up to find your eyes were already meeting someone else’s. I felt betrayed and wandered a separate path alone. I made myself believe your eyes weren’t worth my gaze anyway.
A month or two passed. I wore sunglasses to block out the stares of others. I was trudging up a hill I had no intent of overcoming. I thought I deserved the struggle that was my blinded life. I spent lifetimes missing our love. I missed the golden days that were your laughs and smiles. Finally, I decided I couldn’t go on like this.
I knocked on your door after a long walk alone. You answered and finally our paths intertwined. We laughed. We cried. Your eyes met mine. Your pupils bowed and smiled- pulled out my chair and invited me to stay for dinner.

This piece was inspired by the song Tonight You Belong To Me (written by Elvis Presley but covered by Eddie Vedder.) I was also listening to Norah Jones- specifically Don't Know Why- while I was writing. I wanted to incorporate a story of love, but also take the reader on a journey over a significant period of time.