The Mystery Man | Teen Ink

The Mystery Man

By HayleyG. SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
HayleyG. SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I was currently in the presence of the most handsome man in the world. His big, blue eyes wandered the room, searching for something to do. Maybe he was here alone, or maybe he had been roped into coming to this party just like me.
I had been sitting on a couch in the corner of the room, watching the party like some sort of supervisor even though I was just as old, if not younger, than everyone else in the room. I was never the party type, but my friend, Jackie, had told me I would know “everyone there”. She turned out to be 100% wrong and I ended up with the options of either third wheeling with Jackie and her boyfriend, or sitting alone in the corner. It was not a hard decision.
So anyway, I’m sitting here in the corner people-watching when all of a sudden I spot him standing in the opposite corner of the room- the most handsome man in the world. My mouth gapes open in astonishment. I quickly realize I look like some sort of complete idiot and regain my composer. His eyes were bluer than blue and he had a kind and friendly look in them. His hair was a soft brown, and styled in a way that made him look professional and mature, unlike my dull dirty blonde that stood straight as a pencil in it’s boring and uncharismatic way. I had never thought of myself as an outgoing person, and honestly I was ok with that. I liked going with the flow and following the crowd. But upon seeing this man whom I’d never talked to, I suddenly felt self-conscious of how uninteresting I was. I couldn’t help but notice that he seemed like one of those completely interesting people who has a mountain and a beach home and skydives on the weekends. I’ve always had a sense for what people’s personalities were, even before saying one word to them. If someone was off, I’d know to stay away from them. This, on the other hand was the complete opposite. I had to meet this man.
I got up and found my way to the snack bar. I grabbed a drink and headed over to where he had been standing, only, when I got there he was nowhere to be found. I looked around, but could not find him. Maybe I was just hallucinating, I thought. After all, it had been a pretty tiring night.
So I retreated to my couch and sat back down with my drink. I took and few sips and began my people-watch once again. I looked around and found Jackie and her boyfriend talking to another couple, probably having a brag-off about which couple was the best. I rolled my eyes because this whole thing was totally her fault and looked back to where my dream man had been standing. I did a double take when I found him back in his spot in the corner where I had just been.
Knowing that he was real, I made my way straight for that corner. But I stopped when I was about half way there because, once again, mystery man had moved. I turned around to go back and smacked straight into someone.
“I’m so sorry,” I apologized rubbing my head.
“Me too,” a deep voice replied, “I had just been going to see someone... ”
He stopped. I looked up, and there he was, his ocean blue eyes staring deep into my mine.
“Yeah, me too,” I slowly replied, trying to hide the smile that was forming on my face.
“See, I had seen this gorgeous girl sitting over there in the corner,” he said, pointing to where I had been sitting before flashing me a perfect smile.
“Did you?” I said. I pointed to his corner. “Well I happened to see a very handsome man over in that corner.”
“Did you now? Well you know what they say,” mystery man said curiously. “Opposites attract.”