The cliff | Teen Ink

The cliff

February 4, 2016
By SimranKD. SILVER, Coral Springs, Florida
SimranKD. SILVER, Coral Springs, Florida
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It had been two days since Roslyn had gone missing, and all she left me was a note with one word. Goodbye. The moment I understood what that word meant, I discovered a new kind of pain. I thought I had known them all, but this kind you would have to experience to understand. At first, I thought she just left me. She broke up with me because she reached her breaking point. But when she called me on her phone the next day, the relief I felt to hear her voice was tempered by her cries. Her claims to jump off of that cliff carved their way into my brain and I wanted nothing more to find her and comfort her. I wanted to see her face as I reassured her that everything would be okay. Instead, I was forced to listen as she cried harder, while I told her to step away from the edge.
    I begged her to listen to me. There were tears streaming down my face, but I tried to make sure she didn't know. She was telling herself that she caused others pain, and my crying would just encourage her suicide. At first, I was stunned to hear these words, surely she knew she changed others for the better. But as she
    At this point I had started driving in her direction and the speed limit and traffic lights became insignificant. All that mattered was her and her safety. I knew exactly where she was and told her I was on my way. Suddenly, her cries were cut off by the sound of a car horn, screeching tires, and breaking glass. The car hit mine from the side, and I immediately felt the impact. Time seemed to go in slow motion as my car flipped and landed on the sidewalk. I couldn’t move. I wanted to reach for my phone, hear Roslyn’s voice, tell her I was okay even though I wasn’t.
    I didn’t know how long it would be until someone called the police. I had no idea what position my car was in, I had not idea if I would survive or not. The only thing I was sure of was that my blood was spreading throughout the car, and I was so close to Roslyn. I could walk there in five minutes from here. I willed myself to move, again and again, and finally, I was able unbuckle my seatbelt. I climbed out of the window, grunting because of the pain, and started limping towards her. 
    My head was spinning and deep red blood was soaking the grass as I headed toward the cliff. My vision was wavering and my body threatened to give up. I pushed myself to continue, I had to reach her. I didn’t even know if she was still alive, but I wouldn’t allow myself to give up for the possibility that I could still stop her. If I found that she wasn’t alive… well, I would take the take path she had.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    I reached the clearing between the trees, the one that lead to the cliff, and was relieved to see Roslyn hadn’t jumped. My relief was short lived when I discovered she was standing near the edge. I called her name three times before she finally turned around. The tears running down her face broke me more than any crash could have. She dropped to her knees in front of me and started to sob. I lowered down to her level to comforted her as she expressed her worry for me. She had heard the crash and thought I was gone. I held her as she stopped crying, and we held each other as we tried to fix ourselves.
***
    One person can only take so much before they reach their breaking point. After so many lies and so much betrayal from the man I loved, I felt as if he didn’t love me back. I believed that for so long and I caused myself so much unnecessary pain. When I look back now, I feel so foolish for wasting my time being miserable when I could have been happy with the love of my life.
    It’s been twelve years since he stopped me from jumping. It took him three weeks to fully recover from the crash. Every sound of the crash that I heard through the phone still haunts me to this day. I am grateful for him and we tell our kids they are lucky everyday. We were nervous when I was pregnant with them. Both of us were worried we would have the influence of our own parents. All those worries were gone when we held our son for the first time. The worry came back with our second child, but Aiker calmed me down and reassured me that everything would be okay, just like that day so many years ago.
    Our son is ten and our daughter five. We couldn't have asked for better kids. Our love for them is unconditional, just as it is for the both of us. When I was young, I denied love for the fear of it destroying me. But my denial almost ruined me, and love brought me back.