Love is Pain | Teen Ink

Love is Pain

By Elisa9927 BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware
Elisa9927 BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware

The waves crash against each other as they reach the shore. The birds flying around in the windy sky looking down at people. The enormous sunlight shining across the clouds made me feel like I was in wonderland. It was damn hot outside which it is all the time here in L.A. Being here on the beach just sitting on the light brown sand listening to the waves makes me relax. I always love going to the beach to relax and enjoy the warm atmosphere; when there was chaos in my house or just the simplicity of just wanting to be alone for awhile. I got up to leave when I hear someone call my name. I turn around to face who it was and suddenly my heart was animated with happiness. My eyes were form as diamonds that shine when a little kid gets what she wants. My smile spread wide when I saw my best friend. Austin. He ran towards me and gave me a big bear hug. Everytime he hugged me I would smell that sweet Calvin Klein cologne he would put on and it makes me not want to leave him at all.
      “Hi,” he said, while separating his tough husky arms from my body.
      “Hellooo, what brings you here?” I ask as I start picking up my blanket, phone and headphones.
         “Nothing. I just wanted to see you, is there something wrong with that?” Austin frown.
         “Oh not at all, I just thought that maybe you wanted something,” I said as I began to walk to my house which was pretty far from the beach.
         “Are you going back to your house?” ask Austin “and if you are I can give you a ride.”
         “Yes I’m going to my house and I am willing on accepting your offer,” I answer.
We walk until we reach his red car. He quickly ran towards the car and open the passenger door for me.
         “Thank You,” I smile before I could go in. He got in the car and turn the engine on. I could admire his beautiful features as he drove me to my place all day long. His light brown eyes looking straight ahead, perfectly formed lips and just everything about him was great. At first I had no intention at all to fall in love with him. He was just my friend nothing else. I tried to get rid of those feelings but those feelings just kept on growing and growing every day like a flower blossoming every day. Best friends could never date because that would just be wrong. Everyone knows that if two people who were friends dated;afterwards it would be awkward for them to talk again and then pretend nothing happen between them. I tried not to smile and blush every time I talk to him but it just does not work at all. His friends and I’s tell me that I make it obvious. I guess I kind of do but I can’t help it. Once we reach my house I get out the car quickly before he could even open his mouth to say a word because I wouldn’t want to turn red in front of him or he’ll definitely look at me in a different way. I rush to get to the front door and I suddenly hear his voice.  “Rebecca!” I turn around and stare at him waiting for him to say something.
        “Are you busy tomorrow?” Austin ask nervously.
        “No I don’t think so. Why?” I ask, wondering what he wanted.
        “Just to... you know hang out.” He try to act calmly.
        “Sure, if you want tomorrow you can come over,” I try to not seem too amuse about this whole hanging out situation.
        “Okay, I’ll come over at 4:00.” I nod in response because we would hang out at that time when we had nothing else to do. It was already 7:00 pm and I was tired. My parents work basically everyday in their office, they also travel a lot around the world; I never get to see them but when I see them they are either yelling at me for the things I do or making me feel like I’m just a ghost flying in the house. So technically I live here by myself feeling lonely but that’s why I like having friends coming over. I know I have the whole house to myself and I could throw parties anytime I want but I ain’t into those stuff. Yeah my house is big but I honestly do not care because why have a big house when you are the only person living in it?  I quickly took a shower and then later I start to put my books inside my light bright color backpack for tomorrow's classes in college. When I finish everything I go to bed and turn my little light lamp off and went off to a big deep dream.

Beep! Beep! Beep! I hear my alarm clock go off. I woke up ready to go to school. I get out of bed and yawn, oh how tired I really am. I put on my slippers and go downstairs to the island kitchen to boil water for some coffee. I take out the pot, go to the sink and pour in some hot water. I then twist the stove burner to medium high and head out and go up into my room and I start taking a normal black shirt and a skinny jeans out of my huge closet. I undress myself and put on my other clothes. I take a quick glance at the mirror and I see I look pretty good in what I’m wearing. I grab a pair of black socks and also grab my black Vans shoes. After that I went to the bathroom to do what mostly all girls do. Wash face, put lotion on, brush hair, and put makeup on. I did my hair in a messy bun and since I’m not really into too much makeup; I only curl my eyelashes which were long and I guess that’s a good thing cause most girls don’t have long eyelashes. I put on Covergirl’s “The Super Sizer” mascara, a little bit of blush and bright pink Covergirl lip gloss which were my favorite makeup and I was done. I remember that I left the pot in the stove and quickly ran off to the kitchen to check on it. I turn off the burner, grab my thermo and put the boiling hot water in the thermo and put coffee and added sugar and some milk. I closed the thermo and put it in my backpack. I grab my keys and lock the door then I make my way to the bus stop because even though I’m 18 my parents still don’t want me to drive. It is 6:50 am and the bus not a school bus but a public bus hasn’t come yet. I drink my coffee as I wait. The bus shows up and I quickly go in and take a seat. I take out my phone and start looking through my stuff as I do that I feel somebody watch me. I look up to see who it is and that person hides their face behind a newspaper. I turn back to what I was doing and then again look up but this time more rapidly.

“Bryce, what are you doing?” I ask in wonder,  knowing that it was my other friend who goes to the same college as I do.
        “It’s.. um...not Bryce,” Bryce stutter. I know it was him because he is from England and he has a British accent many girls in my school love.
        “I know it’s you Bryce,” I say, with a twinge of doubt.
        “Oh man, how you knew?” He ask me playfully lifting his head up from the newspaper and knowing that I already catch him.
        “Uh is it because I know you too well and you’re my bestie.”
        “Yeah you’re right.”
        “You haven’t answered my question, what are you doing here on the bus?”
        “Well, I decided to take a ride with you and take care of you,” Bryce says in a little kid voice which made me laugh.
        “Awe Bryce you’re so sweet but I’m capable of taking care of myself thank you though,” I sarcastically say. “I’m just kidding I love the idea of you keeping me company.”
        “You know I’ll do anything for you because I love you,” He said hurriedly. I have two problems one I like Austin but I’m sure he doesn’t like me and two Bryce likes me and I think I may have feelings for him but I’m just not sure how I really feel. School hours went by quickly and I have a project to do with Bryce so he is coming over before Austin at my house. Currently Bryce and I are working on the project the teacher assign us together and we were really trying our best to finish as quick as possible. I look at Bryce and he was looking at me too but with a serious face and ask,  “Rebecca can I ask you something?” with a more relax tone. I nodded in response.
         “Do you like me?”
         “As a friend yeah I do,” I try to act cool.
         “No, I meant more than a friend?” He was still staring at me and I didn’t know what to do and so instead I decided to go back to the project ignoring his question.
         “What do you think of question 10?” I ask.
         “Why are you ignoring me?”
         “I’m not. I already told you…. as- as a friend yes,”  I could barely say without stuttering. For some reason I didn’t want to even see him in the eye without turning red or doing something stupid and so I just kept on looking at the piece of paper on the little brown dark wooden table with light shining pass through. I feel Bryce lift my face with just one finger and turning my head to face him. My heart was pounding hard, my face was bright red and I was feeling nervous. Tell him you do like him too. Give him a chance because you know that Austin doesn’t like you back and never would look at you more than a friend. My little friend in my head was telling me. “I... Bryce I do also like you...more than just friends.”
“So can I call you mine?”
“Yes,” I say smiling wide. I finally let go of my words. Bryce’s face was coming closer to mines and my heart was now really pounding more than before like if it was going to anytime runoff quick from my body. As soon as I close my eyes I felt his warm tender slow lips on my lips. Fireworks as people would say when someone kisses you exploded inside me.

Austin’s P.O.V
         I get ready and get dress up to go to Rebecca’s house. I couldn’t wait any longer I just want to be with her the whole time today. Just me and her and no one else. She makes me feel better at my worst times and today isn’t one but still I’m going over her house. She does not know how happy she makes me feel. She is the sunshine to all my mornings and my star at night. Oh how did I get so lucky to be able to have such an amazing friend and I obviously want to make a move on her. I love her. I love Rebecca. Her beautiful long light brown hair flowing down her shoulder, her wide eyed eyes made her even more dazzling. I would definitely say what her perfections are and her flaws. I grab the keys to my car and head to Rebecca’s house. I drove kind of fast while listening to the radio of many of Rebecca’s and I’s favorite songs. I reach her house and see that nobody is in the driveway and I think to myself that she was all alone in the house. Today I guess is the day I finally let everything escape from my lips. I get out the car and lock it. I see that her living room window was open and the light from the sun showed shadows of two people. I walk even closer and see that it was Rebecca and that friend of her’s Bryce kissing!! I couldn’t believe it but it’s true. My heart broke to many millions of tiny pieces that can never be glued or paste back together. I was in disbelief and I wasn’t able to move just stare at them. They broke apart and I guess Rebecca’s sense that someone was watching and turn around to see me.
                                                    End of Austin’s P.O.V

It was quite a long kiss;something I never really experience much. I was fascinated by the way he kissed me. We both smile at each other and I shyly look away from him and saw that not only was the sun shining in the living room but also someone watching us. I stop smiling, I look outside the window and there stood Austin. He must have watched us because his face showed furiousness. I look back at Bryce and also his smile faded once he saw what I also saw. I got up to open the door for Austin to come in. Bryce was next to me when I open the door but suddenly he wasn’t. He was now against the wall being pushed by Austin and also choked.
    “Austin!!” I scream terribly and forcing Austin away from Bryce. “Stop, stop you’re hurting him!” I said in between tears.
    “No!!!” He yell very loudly. “This bastard has to keep his hands away from you.”
    “He wasn’t doing nothing to hurt me Austin,” I said trying to still pull him away from Bryce before he could even choke Bryce hard and turn him purple from not having air to breath. I got in between them and with all my force push Austin. He was still furious and angry. Bryce is very red and scared because it all happen so fast. “What the hell were you thinking Austin?!” I ask.”You could have killed him,” I say while wrapping my arms around Bryce.
   “I don’t really care if he could have died. This stupid deserve it anyways.”
   “Don’t call him stupid but why you did that for?” I intriguely say.
   “Why? because I’ve been with you more than he has and he does not deserve someone like you to be with him.”
   “What are you trying to say?”
   “You haven’t notice have you,” I shrug not knowing what he was talking about. “For a couple years now I had a crush on you.” I couldn’t believe what I just heard. I wasn’t sure if what he said was the same thing I heard in my ear. I just stare at him with my face emotionless. Why now Austin!? I try to move on and then he comes and tells me that he has the same feelings as me. I have the urge to tell him everything but I can't because I gave my word to Bryce. “Austin, get out of my house now!”
“But-”
“I said get out, What part of what I say don't you understand?” I say giving him the death glare. Without saying another word he went out the door and before leaving he gave another glance my way with a sad expression and close the door. My world suddenly felt like it had fallen apart and shatter. Through all the years Austin and I have known each other I never knew that he would be capable of doing what he did. He's been my best friend,soulmate and a brother to me since I can remember.
“Are you okay?” I ask Bryce worry.
“Yeah,I’m better now.” He says while trying to recover his breath.
“Do you need anything?”
“Just for you to be here with me,” He says sweetly.

A year later:

It’s been a year now and I haven’t talk much to Austin. I see him in many places mostly in the beach but I always leave or ignore him. When we see each other I try not to look him in the eye but I sometimes do and when I do, He smiles at me and I just try to look somewhere else. I see that he isn’t the same as he was before. He has dark eyes and just doesn’t really look like he tries to look nice. I’m still dating Bryce. At first I thought our relationship wasn’t going to last but it did. But there’s one thing inside me that knows that I need to stop dating him because I’m hurting him and Austin. The best thing to do right now is to break up with him and move somewhere else where I can restart my life. I do still have feelings for Austin but no more for Bryce. I first need to talk to Bryce and later find Austin again and tell him things I didn’t tell him before. I grab my phone that was on the counter and call Bryce.

Phone Call:

“Hey,” Bryce fantastically said.
   “Hi Bryce. I need to talk to you about something.”
   “Sure, where do you want to meet up?”
   “Starbucks?”
   “Ok I’ll meet you in 10 minutes. Bye.” (End of call)  I hung up the phone and was ready to leave when I hear voices coming from the living room. I check in carefully to see if an intruder was trying to do something. I look in and was relieve that it was just my parents. I quickly went pass by them trying not to interrupt when suddenly my father calls me.                                                                  
   “Yes,” I answer.
   “We got you something.”
I curiously ask “What is it?” because well my parents don’t care too much about me to buy me a thing.
  “Go outside,” my mom says happily.
I go outside and my eyes become wide as a mouse when they see cheese. I couldn’t believe it, my own proper car. It was a Honda NSX 2015 and was a color bright red.    “Thank you,” I told both my parents cheerfully and ran up to them to give them both a hug.
“Your welcome honey,” they both say in synchronize.
My mom gave me the keys to the car and I quickly went to Starbucks to meet Bryce. I went in and sat down the nearest table I could find and waited. Bryce came in and sat down across from me. Here I go. Just tell him and get it over with.
           “I want to break up,” I blurted out.
“What?!”
“I can't keep up with this anymore Bryce. I don’t have feelings for you anymore,” I say trustfully. “I can’t hurt you anymore by lying to you. Please don’t make this harder by questioning me. I know exactly what I’m doing. I’m also moving to Santa Monica in a couple days. I don’t want you following me because I decided to leave everything behind.”
“But what about us? I thought we were going to be together for all the years to come?”
“I know, I’m so sorry.” I say devastated.
“Can I come visit you sometimes?” Bryce
“Look, I want to restart my life without the drama there is here. I’m seriously very sorry. Thanks for always being by my side and helping me out when I needed someone. You helped me in so many ways and I can't the describe how grateful I am for that and I just don’t want you or someone else to come.”
“Okay, thank you for telling the truth.I-I… I have to go,” He say kind of sad. I watch him leave and as I saw him I could see tears running down his cheeks which made me feel bad for what I just did. I got up and left Starbucks to go to Austin’s house. I got to his house and I was sweating of nervousness before I could knock on the door. Knock. Knock. I hear the door being unlocked when suddenly I felt a force against my body. I felt safe in this person's arms and I know exactly who it was. I was shock that I didn’t even move an inch. How long has it been since the last time Austin hugged me? I don’t know but how great it feels.

I breath in his same Calvin Klein cologne and I wish to go back in time to tell him how much I love him. I separate away from him and he looks at me weird. “Can I come in?” I ask.
  “Uh- um yeah sure go ahead.” I went in and everything was just as it has been. I sat in his brown sofa next to the light that shine in the room and was ready to tell him the same thing I told Bryce.
  “I came here to tell you that well, first of all, I didn’t tell you the day you last came to my house that I also had a crush on you.” I saw how his sad lips transform into a fabulous smile.
  “You did?” I nodded a yes.
  “But before you came Bryce asked me out and I couldn’t just break up with him that day and well I did like him too but today I broke up with him.”
“I see. Do you still have those feelings for me? because I do.”
“I..I do.” I say sincerely. “Bu-”
“But what Rebecca. Why can’t we just be together if we still have feelings for each other?”
“I can’t because I want to move on. And I came here to tell that I’m moving to Santa Monica in a few days and I don’t want you following me or coming over to visit. I’m also sorry for telling you this right now when I should have told you about my feelings and ran out to you that day but I can’t change that now can I? I have to go and pack up, Austin.”
‘But Rebecca please don’t leave I won't stand the thought of not being close to you anymore please,” Austin said pleading.

I got up ready to head to the door when he holds my hand and turns me around to face him. Bam! His lips were upon mines. My heart and body felt numb and I had no choice but to kiss him back because in reality I’ve always wanted to feel his lips. We pull away when we were out of breath and I just kind of smile at him and say, “I’m sorry. I love you.” as I leave his house. I start crying on my way out. I couldn’t hold on to the tears. I went inside the car and drove away and as I went back home it started pouring outside.
I got home safe but still crying because it will be the last time that I will see my parents, Austin and Bryce. I went to my room, grab a suitcase and put everything I would need in it. I had already bought an apartment and everything in Santa Monica so I could anytime leave and be there. I talked to my parents about it and they were fine with it. They say that I was already ready to live by myself and to take care of my own. I lay in my bed for the rest of the week. I was getting calls from Austin and One from Bryce but I rejected every one of them. Today was friday, I decided to go to the beach one last time before leaving. I took a quick shower. Put on a Cali girl shirt and some white jeans. I grab my suitcase and put some family photos and pictures that I took with my friends and a box full of all my memories. I went downstairs, put on my Converse shoes and grab my keys to my car. I put everything in the trunk and went to directly to the beach. It was a beautiful day today. The bright sun gazing upon earth happy as it can be. I park my car near the beach and got out to take a walk which I really need right now. I walk around seeing how people’s worlds were totally different from mine. I went to the same spot I would go to every time I came here. Memories from the past came into my head. I was ready to begin a new one. I suddenly felt uncomfortable. I check around the beach when my eyes catch Austin looking my way. The air blowing, made my hair go in many directions. I pull my hair back and saw that Austin was coming closer. I ran out the beach to get to where my car was. I walk really fast and every once in awhile glance back to see if Austin was following. I saw my car and carefully try to go to where it was. Men and women were looking at us probably thinking that he was trying to catch up to me for something. He was coming closer and I had no other choice but to start running as fast as possible. I stop, went over a tree, rested for awhile looking left and right trying hard to hide. I hide in between cars to reach where mine was. I open the door to my car and turn on the engine. I got out the parking lot and in the mirror I could see Austin running from behind. Since he couldn’t catch up he just stood there in the middle of the parking lot.

A few hours later I reached Santa Monica and was relieve to be alone now in my apartment. “Home sweet home.” I breath in. Everything was now where they were suppose to be, so I just needed to finish unpacking my clothes. After that I went into the living room to get my memory box when there was a little light knock on the door. I was scare and confuse at the same time because no one knew where I was except my parents. Or it could just be a neighbor wanting to welcome me. I went and open the door to see nobody outside. I went further out and check the stairs and nobody. Weird I thought. Before I open my door I saw a sticky note on my door that says “Out of all the beautiful places I would want to go I would rather choose to be with you. ~ Austin.” I was horrified to know that Austin knew where I was but at the same time full of many emotions when I read this. It’s been 3 days and I still get sticky notes from Austin. The last one was “I’m really grateful to have you in my life. I miss you alot. Hope you can come back soon.” and since I didn’t like the fact that he kept on putting on notes on my door and me never able to find him irritated me. So I wrote a note to him telling him to stop and I put it on the door at the time before he comes and knocks. I guess it work but he has been calling me and I don’t answer at all. I felt pretty bad now that I told him to stop bugging me. I mean I do still love him and I’m not happy as I thought I would be. My life really is a big mess. I hadn’t slept well, I don’t feel like eating or doing something productive. I feel depressed. I hear my phone ring and I see that the caller ID is Austin. Instead of just having to talk to him on the phone I prefer to talk to him in person. I will go back to Los Angeles and tell Austin that he has never left my mind any minute or second and that I’m willing to start a relationship with him. I drove back home and still my phone kept on ringing and ringing. It has been 130 calls from him and none from Bryce. I actually haven’t really heard of Bryce since the day we broke up and I’m a little worry. I go directly to Austin’s house and knock a couple times and no one has answer at all. Again my phone rang and I answer it.
“Hello, Austin. I’m outside your house, where are you?”
“Hi, is this Rebecca?” I hear an old women on the other line say.
“Yes that’s me. Who is this? What happen to Austin?” I ask very worry.
“We are calling from the hospital because Austin is an a critical state. He was just in an accident not too long ago.” This is not true it can not be. Today I wrote him the note but no it could have not been my fault could it.
“What hospital is this? I’m coming,” As soon as she told me the hospital name I went fast to the hospital to check on him. I arrive and went to the register crying.
“Hi my name is Rebecca Martinez and I want to know how Austin Carter Peterson is!” I scream at the lady.
“And you are?” she ask very calmly
“His-his gir-lfriend,” I lied. “Family members of Austin Peterson,” As soon as the doctor said his name I went over to him. I wasn’t the only one. His parents were also here. We were all crying.
“I’m sorry to say this but right now he is an a coma,” The doctor says feeling terrible because he probably can’t do anything to help Austin get out of the state he was in. “We found this in his pocket, It’s for Rebecca do you know her?”
“It’s me,” I say getting a slip of paper. I open the paper and read  “I’d do anything just to hold your hand. Ps. I will always love you.” “I love you too,” I whisper while holding the paper in my hands tightly. I sat down for awhile and I just didn’t stand to be here alone. I needed someone like Bryce to hold me and tell me everything is going to be okay. I went out the hospital to go to Bryce’s little apartment. I went up the stairs running when I saw the cleaning man coming in and out. I went up to him and ask for Bryce.       
“Miss, something terrible happen to him,” he said. “He was a wonderful kid and now he is gone.”
“What do you mean by gone?”
“I came here to clean on Monday and his door was open. I came in and my eyes couldn’t believe what they have saw. I immediately called the police because I was too terrified to do or touch anything.”
“What happen?” I now feeling terrify to know what happen ask.
“He committed suicide.” What! No! now that I remember that was the day I told him that I wanted to break up and he left crying.
It must of have been me that took his life by telling him those words harshly. I not only took his life but I put Austin in a coma. I left without saying another word. My world has collapse and I have no one by my side. I walk outside and a strong breeze flew by. My life is like a tornado who hit Los Angeles. My life was bright and sunny like the sun and now it is a storm that is waiting for something bad to just happen to me and hit ground. I’ll never forget the good times I had with the people I adore. Here I was now in a bridge looking down while cars pass by. It’s time to go to a whole different world.

The wants of people creates suffering.