Whatever Happened To Lucy Ryne? | Teen Ink

Whatever Happened To Lucy Ryne?

By Sarah_K BRONZE, Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania
Sarah_K BRONZE, Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars," - Les Brown

In the early 1800s, Nobelwomen, Lucy Ryne is living in her upstate New York estate. Sbe is having trouble finding a match for herself, it seems that every man is boring. Well, until she meets the new red haired chef. Their encounter a complete accidnet, if only they knew of the crazy rollercoaster thag was about to begin.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1 (Part 1)

The freshly-cleaned glass windows made a kaleidoscope of light over my face. The bed bowed as I flopped over onto my side. Covering my face with a feather pillow, the world became dark again.
I had been shortly woken up, by my grey tabby cat, Ferris, rubbing his tiny cheek over my foot. “Why don’t you just go chase a rat,” I removed the pillow from my face. Ferris gave the slightest meow before prancing up to greet my face. “All right Ferris, You can have some leftovers,” I sat up holding my cat. He quickly jumped, and scurried off.
Sighing and shaking my head I looked over into my white vanity mirror, that my father imported from paris. I smiled to show my white teeth as I ran a few fingers through my long brunette hair; brown eyes twinking. Soon the maid barged in. “Ma’am, it twas’ time to get up. Oh heavens, You aren't even dressed,” she gave me a disapproving scowl.  “Miriam, why must I get up so early,” I pouted. “Well girl, it seems to me you’ve been up,” Miriam giggled. “Well, I wouldn’t be if it wasn’t for that stupid cat,”I scowled. The maid shook her head before she left, I could hear her deep chuckle from down the corridor.
Soon the maid came back to help dress me. She laced up that horrid corset, slipped on the crinoline as well as my bloomers. Next, she helped me into an emerald green silk dress, with lace trim, satin buttons, and a voluptuous bow in the back. Miriam smiled warmly at me. "Oh by the heavens! Do you look gorgeous today ma'am," the older maid grinned.
I felt my cheeks turn a light pink at her comment, even though she told me that everyday. I turned my gaze to the oval shaped maid and retorted "Well, I am having tea with that noble. Am I not?" Miriam's smile faded into a crackling line "You are ma'am, tea is still happening at noon," I tilted my head slightly "Ah, I see. And what was the gentleman's name?" The maid's laugh lines returned as she reminded me "The nobleman's name is Baron, Baron Ayers" With a twist of the lips the old maid left my bedroom.
The old maid, Miriam was it? Was a nice old lady, quite round, but kind. I had known her since I was a little girl. She too, had been younger then. Miriam was the head maid, as well as my personal assistant. Nothing was as great as to have her around, in another way, she was my closest friend.
Soon the scent of something sweet filled my nose. It’s delicate sweetness wafted into my nose. Over run by joy, I rushed out my white wooden door and down the marble stairs. Graciously walking through the corridors, I found my way to the kitchen. There, was a tall man, maybe 1.88 meters tall. You could see his orange hair from underneath his chef’s hat. He was quite lanky, it must help with the cooking.
“Ah! Ma’am! I hadn’t seen you there,” the orange haired man smiled, an obvious irish accent seeping through. “Oh, I needn’t to startle you!” I exclaimed. The man sighed, “No, no, it wasn’t your fault,” He beamed a toothy grin. I moved a bit closer to him, to sneak a peek at what he was baking. “Scones. Blueberry scones,”  the man’s thick accent rang through my ears. “May I taste one?” I smiled mischievously at the taller man. The chef laughed “No, no ma’am you may not. Tis’ for your tea time,” his smile ever so slightly showed a bit of sadness. Why would this chef who I don’t even know his name...oh! The orange haired chef must have caught on, “My name is Alroy, Ma’am,” his smile returned to its playful self. His hand was outstretched towards me, shouldn’t he know my name? I took his hand and smiled up at him “Lucy Ryne,” Our hands broke apart, my cheeks ever so slightly turning pink. “Ah! I know that Ma’am, your father owns this estate, it would be a tragedy not to know his family,” his smile brightened.
I glanced at the grandfather clock, eleven-thirty in the morning. Tea time would be at noon. Alroy followed my gaze “You best get going, the nobleman will  be here shortly,” he looked back at me, his smile once again ran across his face; I could still see the tinge of sadness in it. I curtseyed for him before I walked away.

Chapter Notes:

This chapter is not yet finished, stay tuned for more!