Just Us | Teen Ink

Just Us

July 1, 2015
By meghan22 BRONZE, Fayetteville, Georgia
meghan22 BRONZE, Fayetteville, Georgia
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touches; they must be felt by the heart"-Helen Keller.


Falling in love with you is the stupidest thing I have ever done, yet it is the one thing I never felt so right about. People say falling in love is easy, but letting go is the hardest part. I have tried to let you go, but I have the luck to be able to keep you. As I walk out of this little town of ours, I cannot imagine life without you. Senior year is bittersweet, but I know I still have you. People say what do you know about love? You're only eighteen, and you are too young to know what love is. I believe that when you love with the one, you feel it deep within your heart, and the thought of letting go is out of the question.

It all started the beginning of eighth grade. I was new to the school, and I honestly had two friends. My best friend just so happened to be dating your best friend. I only knew of you because my other friend had an enormous crush on you. She was head over heels for you. Day in and day out, she would talk about you every second she could. At one point, she showed me pictures of you asking me what I thought. I scrunched my nose to appear as if I did not find you attractive, but deep down I knew you were going to mean something.

In our small town, each year we hold a county fair behind our high school. Every person in our community went. My best friend and my other friend convinced me to go, and I did. I ended up going with the other girl and meeting my best friend there. All my ear could hear was that you were finally asking her out. This was the night she has been waiting for, for two years. At this point, I still have not met you yet, and I honestly was not planning to. When we arrived at the fair, the next two hours were horrendous. The conversations between her and I was every possible scenerio on how you could ask her out. Driven up the wall, I decided to go find my best friend as I left my other friend with a group of girls. I felt awful to leave her, but it got so annoying.  Little did I know, when I found my friend, I saw you. Standing with my best friend and her boyfriend, you caught my eye; you were even handsomer in person. In complete shock, I gave a quick wave to everyone. I knew this night was about to get interesting.

As the night went on, I had the best night of my life, I never smiled or laughed as hard as I did. From going on rides and grabbing quick grub, the four of us instantly became a tight circle. I am completely oblivious when it comes to boys, but that night I really enjoyed your presence. The joy I was having spiraled quickly when my friend pulled me aside saying, "Why hasn't he asked me out yet? What if he doesn't? If he dares to do something cliche like the Ferris wheel, I refuse to go." As she ranted to my face as if I was the problem, I tried to push down my anger. Out of no where, I found myself yelling, "Do you know how lucky you are? Do you know that he could be nervous? Do you know that he went out of his way to come tonight? Do you know how selfiish you sound right now?"

Marching over to you, I said, "Look, she really likes you. She's been waiting for it all week for this. Please just ask her out." Before I knew it, you grabbed her arm and took her on the Ferris wheel, and the two of you became a couple. She was so happy. She began to gloat; the smile on her face was picture perfect. I was so happy for her. It would not have bothered me if my best friend had not have said, "I am honestly surprised he asked her out. This whole night, he kept brushing her off and wanted to be with you. He could not get his eyes off you." I shrugged it off because the night was ending. An hour later as I was getting out the shower, I got a text saying, "He dumped me after four freaking hours. He said he made a mistake, and it would be a lie if I stayed with you."

Next thing I know, you began texting me. I felt wrong doing this to her. I honestly did not mean to hurt her, but you had this effect on me. You still do. From that night forward, we became two peas in a pod. We instantly became great friends that led into becoming best friends. I saw you more in school, and we talked on the phone for hours daily. The four of us were always together in our own little world. Then you and I decided to try to be more than friends. We honestly really hit it off. People constantly asked me what I saw in you because I am supposedly out of your league. I never thought of it that way; I always thought it was the other way around.

I was too scared to say I was falling for you. What did I know I was only in eighth grade. I ended things because the fear of commitment and I did not want to hold you back going into high school. I entitled myself with regret and heartache, but at the time I felt like it was the best thing to do. Walking into high school, our pool of friends divided between the two girls and two guys. We all were still friends with each other. Most people would say this period of time would be called puppy love. No matter the age or circumstances, when you love someone, the feeling is completely blissful.

Throughout the whole freshman year, we were on and off. One minute we were so strong, then the next we could have killed one another. I guess that is how most high school relationships are, barely lasting a month. Part of me always thought we came back to each other because we thought we needed each other; the other part just feels like we knew how much we loved the other. As a pair, we make the other person a better person. The feeling of pushing the other away was too painful, and we never could. We hurt each other in ways no one else could ever hurt us. We always wanted each other in the worse time. The timing was never right.

Everyday we spent together was a new chapter of happiness. Walking up to your face knowing you have been waiting for me made my heart melt. When it was the two of us, nothing else mattered as much. Some said we were too different to work, which could be true. You wanting to become a tragic musician and keeping everything low key while I was doing everything from being a top student playing club and school ball while trying to juggle yearbook and volunteering. We took it as a challenge, we always looked the postive way. We believed in the pharse opposites attract.

Although good times felt like forever, every relationship has hardships. We always gave in to the other in order to not hurt the other. Days became harder, and we called it quits. We would stop talking for weeks at the time. We passed each other in the hallways as if we were strangers. Those days were the hardest days of my life. I lost my best friend through those days. I never felt so alone. Some days I would be fine, but the next I would rather collapse then go another day without you.

Without my best friend telling me to stay and help me become strong again, I would not be able to tell you how lucky I am today. Sophomore year, we began to build our friendship again.We let our feelings grow for each other, and we did not jump into something too fast. We were together everyday. At the end of the year, we decided to try again together and began to love each other unconditonally.

No one bothered to create any drama between us because they knew nothing would draw a wedge within us. Days became months, and months became years together. We only became wiser and knew what the other needed. Looking back, I could say this was the moment I knew we were meant for each other. It was always us, just us. Nothing else could ever compare to the feelings I have towards you. It's been two years of complete joy. When you watch a movie, you see the couple have one fight, and they make up and live happily ever after. Life is not a movie. This love is more than one fight;it's multiple, but you realize that being together is far more important than a fight. Making compromises is rewarding because it only makes us stronger. As I leave high school, I want you to know I have always rooted for just us. I want you to know how much you mean to me. I want you to know how you influenced my high school career.

Beating the odds, you mean the world to me. Yes, it was utterly stupid to fall in love with you. Yes, I will not trade you for anything in the universe. Yes, I have my life planned out, but I only want you in it. No matter what life throws our way, I love you.