I'll Follow You Into The Dark | Teen Ink

I'll Follow You Into The Dark

June 3, 2015
By Diehardfan BRONZE, College Station, Texas
Diehardfan BRONZE, College Station, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Don't believe every quote you see on the internet."














~Joan of Arc


I stood frozen in my spot, unable to breath. I closed my eyes hard then opened them. Unbelievable.

Why this strange behavior? Because I had seen him.

He was sitting on a bench next to two old people. His hands folded neatly on his lap. He studied them with his sad, yet peaceful, dark soulful brown eyes. A stray lock had fallen from his combed dark hair.

My heart leapt into my throat and started racing at the same time.

I whispered his name, then screamed it. My feet propelled me toward him.

He looked around confused, but then he saw me and his beautiful lips broke into the breathtaking smile he was infamous for. His eyes lit up, but somehow managed to retain the sad haunted look in them.

The look I loved so much, yet wanted to chase away.

I reached him and flung my arms around his neck. He was still sitting down, so I was able to bury my face into his soft feathery hair.

Unbidden tears sprang to my eyes. "I've missed you." I choked.

"I've missed you, too." He whispered.

I looked at him, and saw that tears glistened in his eyes.

He wrapped his arms around my waist as I laid my cheek against his.

The comfort and safety of that touch lulling me. I felt so protected I could have fallen asleep. I closed my eyes soaking in the happiness.

Shyly, I slightly turned my head and let my lips brush against his cheek in a timid kiss.

"I've missed you." I said again, when he gasped in surprise.

He cupped my chin with his hand as I tried to lay my cheek back across his.

His lips were curled into a small smile as he kissed me on the mouth. His lips were warm and inviting. They kissed me lightly, but fervently. I felt my heart melt and slide out of my throat and into an emotional pool into my chest.

It lasted less than a second, because I jerked to the side and laid my cheek back against his.

He kissed my cheek, then the edge of my jawline, then finally he kissed the corner of my lips.

I let his lips rest there.

He pulled me into his lap, and we sat there. Our faces close together, and our hearts beating as one. I felt the breath from his nose whistle across the corner of my mouth, for his kiss still lingered there.

Reluctantly, I leaned away. He tried to follow the retreat, but I stopped him by catching his strong jawline with my hand. I caressed his jowl with my thumb.

"You don't know..." His lips trembled. "How long I've waited..."

"I... I love you." I said my voice shaking with emotion.

"So it took me to be dead for you to finally say that?" He teased.

I fingered the buttons on his Navy uniform.

"No," I said, "I said it to you before you left, remember?"

Suddenly, my mind swept back to that summer day as he boarded his boat.

He waved at me. I simply stood there. Too numb to move.

My best friend was leaving. Leaving for war.

I had always known that he cared for me. But, up until then, I thought I didn't cherish romantic feelings for him, but as he faded into the horizon looking so small in his uniform, I began to panic. I knew then, that I would be utterly lost without him.

I ran to the edge of the pier. "I never told you, but... I love you!" I cried.

"What?" He hollered.

"I love you!" I screamed shrilly. But he had disappeared from view before the words had left my mouth.

I was dragged back to reality when he laid a large caring hand on my shoulder.

"Are you alright?" His dark brown eyes deep with concern.

"When they told me you had died." I gasped trying not to cry. "I kept asking myself: ‘why didn’t I tell him sooner? How come I never told him?..."

"I love you." He said. "I love you!" He said still louder. "Gosh," he laughed,"do you know how long I've wanted to say that?"

I kissed the tip of his nose. We stayed there for a few moments. Our foreheads pressed together.

Then quite to my dismay, I heard my name being called. I looked over.

It was an Angel. His wings were fluttering with impatience, and he beckoned to the huge golden gates.

"I have to leave.” I gulped.

“But...” He protested.

“I’ll see you again.” I said standing up. “Promise..”

“Wait.” He stood up and wrapped an arm around my waist. He planted a kiss, softly, but firmly on my lips.

The Angel was urgent when he called my name. I headed toward The Angel.

I could tell that he was loathe to let go of my waist, but as I slipped away, he reached for my hand and gave it one last squeeze before letting go.

“I’m sure I’ve never told you this before.” He said with a smile. “But you look good dead.”

I grinned, and when I looked into his eyes the sadness was gone.


The author's comments:

I had a dream similar to this, but when I had tried to write it wasn't as good. And so with a few tweaks I've managed to create my story. Enjoy!