The Curious One | Teen Ink

The Curious One

By Lmpinciotti BRONZE, Columbus, Ohio
Lmpinciotti BRONZE, Columbus, Ohio

"Everyone has a little 'I want to save the world in them.' and I want you to know it's okay to only save one person. And it's okay if that person is yourself."

Snow. That was the first thing I saw as I stepped off the plane with my mom and her filthy rich  new husband, Christian. What kind of billionaire lived in Ohio? Two minutes off the plane and I already missed California. New house, new annoying step brother, new school, new friends. I could already hear my mom’s voice; “Bailey dear, this will give you a second chance at popularity and a actual social life, get people to know you!It will be different than California, we’ll just have to adjust.” Like I needed a second chance, I was fine with life back in California before all this, but where mom goes I follow. So after spending Christmas with my friends on the warm, sunny, California sand, hours of packing and goodbyes, we got on a plane, on our way to snowy and cold Ohio, and thanks to my mother’s lack of planning skills, I started school tomorrow.
Christian’s limo driver picked us up from the airport, with a separate car behind us full of luggage we headed to his house.After about an hour, which i slept through, we pulled up to a set of gates, that quickly opened till we were in the driveway of a house, No, house is not the right word. My definition of a house is a two story house in a neighborhood where you can walk to your neighbor’s door  and ask for some sugar. Christian and his son’s definition was a house you needed a map to find your way around in, with an elevator, and a swimming pool, and basketball court, and soccer fields and miles in between the next neighbor and you. But then again, who needs to borrow sugar to makes cookies, when your stepdad has professional bakers and chefs on his staff.
“Tyler why don’t you show her Bailey to her room?” My new step brother Tyler gave his dad a  glare before heading off in the house. I quickly followed, it would be like me to get lost in this huge mansion. The inside was much more elegant than I  was expecting, with iron rod staircases,  and a huge chandelier. Tyler led me down a hallway to a elevator. “Floor 3 is your room, the guest room, and mine, and while we are at it, I don’t want you here anymore than you want to be here, so stay out of room, and my stuff, and we won’t have problems.” With a nod of my head, the doors opened to what looked like a huge living room. I looked around in awe. This is every little girls fairytale, a huge mansion, but  across the room I ran to the bookshelf seeing all the classic books I’ve been wanting to read for years. It only took me two seconds before spotting my favorite book, ‘Pride and Prejudice’ even more shocked that it was a first edition. That was right before Tyler was looking at me like he’d seen a ghost. “Sorry....” I awkwardly mumbled before putting the book back on shelf. “Whatever  Bailey, your room is to the on the left mine on the right, guest is behind us.” Tyler said point to my room before heading off into his. “And try not to be so curious, guys don’t like that around here!!!!”
Well he was welcoming. I headed into the room that was soon to be mine. It was at least four times as large as my room back in California. It was perfect. Not only in size, but for me. The walls were my favorite shade of purple, there were black and white accessories everywhere, like my dream room. I guess Christian really took his notes. I had my own full bathroom, and a balcony that overlooked the pool in his, well now our backyard, and a walk-in-closet large enough to fit  a car in. Too tired from plane rides and change I crawled into my brand new king size bed, and tried to get some sleep I had a long day ahead of me.  
“BAILEY WAKE UP IT”S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!” Why was I gifted with such a morning person of a mother? I crawled out of bed, almost surprised that this room existed and wasn’t another one of my dreams.”Honey, you can wear this!....No this is better! Hmm maybe this?” My mom went searching through my closet pulling out clothes I had never seen before. I’m guessing Christian let her buy clothes for me on a shopping spree. “Mom, since when did I wear dresses to school...or ever?” Did she forget who I was overnight? “Bailey, you’d look darling in this, just wear it today and then the rest of the year you can wear your band t-shirts and jeans.” One thing about my mom: she never gives up, if she wants it done, it’ll get done.  “I mean the dress could be worse…” I mumbled staring at my feet. “AHHH YOU’RE GONNA LOOK ADORABLE!” My mother needed to calm down, but that wouldn’t happen till I had left for school.  I braided my brown hair and put on some makeup before slipping on the dress my mom had picked out. I had to admit she was right, it looked really good on me, and the blue of the dress brought out the green in my eyes. Despite my moms efforts to get me to wear some girly sandal or whatever they’re called, I slipped on my white converse, grabbed my backpack and headed downstairs. As soon as the elevator opened, I realized I was in some trouble; I had no idea where anything was.
After wondering around like a lost puppy dog for about five minutes I found myself in a kitchen. I only  grabbed a banana before heading back into the main hall, I wasn’t that hungry, I was more nauseous. “Bailey are you done spreading your curiosity everywhere we need to leave.” Of course, Tyler was rude in the morning too. I nodded my head, not in the mood to argue or talk to him. We headed out the main entrance of the house, into Tyler’s red Jeep.
The ride to school was awkward to say the least. Tyler was playing music as loud as possible, for the whole ten minute car ride. We pulled up to a normal looking high school and Tyler parked front and center like the spot was his, but it most likely was. He quickly jumped out of the car, probably eager to see his friends. I hopped out, heading towards the giant doors leading into the school.  I was able to find my locker easily by following the numbers on the lockers. After quickly entering my combination, I decided to shove all my stuff in it and go find someone that knew their way around here, but I found that really someone really easily. As i turned around I found myself facing a pair of warm brown eyes, and an arm on the lockers on either side of me. The boy was cute, I’d admit that. He had perfect hair, and a smirk to match it. Judging by all the glares I was getting from other girls in the hallway, his varsity jacket, and his confidence levels, kids around here knew it too. “Hey beautiful.” Ugh, even his voice was attractive. “Um I think you have the wrong person, I’m new here…” He looked at me with a funny look on his face, like he didn’t believe me. He seemed hesitant. “Okay, where from?” “I just moved here from California.” “Ahh California. Well welcome to snowy, crappy, Ohio.” His interest in me was overwhelming. “Thanks….” I doze off getting distracted by the fact I didn’t know this handsome stranger’s name. “I’m Jake Walters.” “Well Jake, I’m Bailey.” Next thing I knew, Jake had took my schedule out of my hand and burned a hole in my paper as he scanned it. “Would you look at that, we have all but homeroom together, looks like you’ll be seeing a lot of me around here.” He winked. He winked. My heart skipped a beat. I wasn’t used to having a lot of guys attention- or anyones really. Maybe my mom was right. “Jake!” Some jock in a varsity jacket yelled down the hallway. “Ah sorry  I got to go Brittany.” Wow. He couldn’t remember my name. “Bailey.”  He turned back around to face me. “What?” “Um, Jake my name is Bailey.” “I’m so sorry! I’ll make up for it babe.” Then something strange happened. He kissed me. On the lips. In front of all the girls glaring or staring at me wide-eyed. Jake ran off to catch the jock while I stood there in shock. A group of girls ran up to me giggling. Ew, I’ve never been a huge fan of girls that stick to each other like glue.
“OMG SHE LOOKS LIKE-”the blond girl screaming in the hallways mouth was covered by a girls hand quickly. Who did I look like and why was it such a big deal? “I look like who?” One of the girls shyly stepped forward. “You look a lot like Jake’s ex-girlfriend.” Oh. Not as nice as saying I look like their favorite runway model, but I guess I’d take it. “Well, where is she? I’d love to meet my look alike.”  That’s when I realized everyone staring at their feet awkwardly. “Did I say something?” I was completely confused at this point. “She died last fall in a car crash.” First day of school in Ohio and I’ve been randomly kissed by a hot guy, not to mention I look like his dead ex-girlfriend. I had a feeling mom was right, Ohio was going to be a lot different.