My Dearest Charlie | Teen Ink

My Dearest Charlie

By JuliaBrewer40 BRONZE, Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
JuliaBrewer40 BRONZE, Glen Mills, Pennsylvania

She had been preparing herself for this day for several years now, yet that was not enough to hold her breaking heart together. Every ounce of strength in her body could not hold back the tears or calm her trembling fingers.  At age 87, Charlotte Greene had been bracing herself for the unfathomable yet inevitable day that her husband, Robert, passed away, however the fact that she was about to attend his funeral was impossible to accept. Charlotte crossed the threshold of the church and reluctantly took her seat, which had been carefully positioned across from an elaborately-framed picture of her grinning husband. It was her favorite picture of him because his eyes were bright like a warm summer day and his smile was a perfect crescent moon.  Looking into his joyful eyes, replicated on to glossy photo paper, she was overcome with sorrow and nostalgia for the love story that had now ended.
         Charlotte had met Robert junior year of high school. As a teenager, he was outgoing, popular, and involved in every activity imaginable. Rob was known to spontaneously take risks and occasionally get into trouble in the pursuit of entertainment and laughter. A direct contrast, she had always been reserved and avoided drastic changes at all costs. Somehow, fate brought them together through a mutual class in high school and they had been nearly inseparable since. Rob, with his bubbly personality and craving for adventure, and sweet, sensible Charlotte were polar opposites, but when they were together they fit perfectly, bringing out the best in each other. Shortly after high school they married and began to create bold plans for their future. The dream was to have a large family and then to travel the world. Growing up in a small town, Rob and Charlotte both had a desire to experience new cultures together. However, the young couple quickly realized that some of their dreams for their future would never come true.
After several frustrating years, a devastated Charlotte accepted the fact that she was unable to have kids of her own. The dynamic couple was overcome with grief and it was difficult for Charlotte to even get dressed and make it through the day. Rob loathed seeing his once vibrant wife lifeless and depressed, so he suggested that they start to pursue the second part of their plans. He managed to get Charlotte engaged and excited about life and future possibilities again. The two composed a list of the top five places in the world they wanted to experience; topping the list was Paris, France. Although finances prevented them from jet setting anytime soon, Charlotte found herself daydreaming and grinning uncontrollably at the thought of one day going to the Eiffel Tower, being on top of the world, with her soul mate. For the nearly 20 years, Charlotte and Rob’s dream getaway never transpired, but it still remained a distant dream that they were both determined to make a reality.
Unfortunately, the Greene’s were struck with tragedy once again. After an inconspicuous doctor’s appointment regarding his fatigue, Rob was diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis, an autoimmune disease of the liver. With treatment, some symptoms could be alleviated and his life prolonged, but liver failure would likely take his life eventually. Heartbroken, the Greene’s spent what little money they had saved for travelling on medications, doctors, and hospital bills. However, despite his deteriorating health, Charlotte and Rob’s love only grew stronger. For so long, Rob had been the source of strength and inspiration, her knight in shining armor, and now the roles were quickly being reversed. Rob’s spirit did not waver, yet often the only thing that kept a smile on his face was spending time with his wife. They were amazed how tragedy managed to bring them closer than ever imagined. Charlotte and Rob spent the rest of their time together by cherishing every moment they had and falling more in love with each other until the inevitable day arrived and their love story came to a close.
Lost in a blur of tears and memories, Charlotte composed herself as the funeral concluded. Pastor and longtime companion of the couple, Reverend Mark, attempted to console Charlotte with a warm embrace and offered to drive her home. The car ride was silent, filled with an unspoken understanding of pain, empathy, and love. As the car pulled into the driveway of the Greene’s quaint two-story brick house, Charlotte braced herself for the echoed halls and empty rooms she was about to encounter once again. Before she exited the vehicle, Reverend Mark fumbled to remove a weathered envelope from his coat pocket and holding back tears he said,
“Charlotte, this is from Robert. I - I don’t know what’s inside of it, but he handed this envelope to me several months ago with clear instructions to give it to you today.”
Stunned, Charlotte whispered a polite thank you and gingerly took the envelope with trembling hands. The world around her came to a halt as Charlotte entered the house and found a seat, staring at the envelope with anticipation and immense fear. At some point, she mustered up the courage to open the envelope and began to read the letter, which was saturated with Robert’s sloppy handwriting.
My Dearest Charlie,
         Since you are reading this, I am now gone. I am currently writing this letter because I can’t bear the thought of not being there for you during such a difficult time when you have supported me through everything. We’ve both known this day would come for years now, the best I can do is to let you know that I still love you today as I have for every day since we met. This disease claimed more than just my liver; it has taken some of my innocence and spirit as well. Some days the only that keeps me going is the love we share. Your strength to persevere through life and overcome the immense struggles it’s handed you never ceases to amaze me. I am such a fortunate man to have you in my life; I only wish I didn’t hold you back from all you deserve. Just because I am no longer with you on Earth does not mean our love story has to end. Since the day I realized that we had to put our dreams on hold for the sake of my deteriorating health, I have been saving whatever small amounts of money possible. Charlie, after several years, I have finally collected enough for you to fulfill our dream. With the check in this envelope, I want you to travel to Paris. Push aside all of your concerns and fears, you deserve this trip and I promise I will be there with you in spirit the entire time. I want you to enjoy life again, and I can die a happy man knowing that our dreams will be carried out.
         Je t’amie ma chérie,
         Robert
         Charlotte could not believe what she just read; it was as if Rob was right there with her, comforting and encouraging her in the way that only he could. As terrified as she was at the thought of traveling across the globe, she knew that she needed to, for the sake of Rob. Still in disbelief, Charlotte spent the remainder of the day booking the trip and proceeded to pack as quickly as possible before her momentary courage vanished.
         Two days later, Charlotte found herself in an elevator, ascending the tremendous Eiffel Tower. As she watched the lights of the city below grow smaller and smaller, Charlotte was amazed to find she was calm and filled with excitement for the first time in what felt like forever. Even though he was no longer on Earth, Rob still had managed to inspire her to step outside of her miniscule comfort zone and enjoy life again. The elevator finally came to a halt and she cautiously stepped outside into the warm, fresh air of the night. She managed to find a quiet place to sit and take in the breathtaking sights and sounds of the city. On top of the Eiffel Tower,  Paris had transformed into a field of sparkling diamonds. It was as though the entire city donned its finest jewelry, knowing that it held a special visitor. Lost in the beauty of the lights above and below her, Charlotte suddenly felt a sense of peace and love that she had never experienced before. In that moment, she knew that Robert was there with her, as promised. Smiling ear-to-ear while simultaneously holding back tears, Charlotte realized that although it was not according to plan, the two had finally fulfilled their lifelong dream of seeing the world together. Even though they were no longer with each other physically, their love story is one that would never end.