The Bracelet | Teen Ink

The Bracelet

By Mythili Ketavarapu BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Mythili Ketavarapu BRONZE, Cupertino, California

The Bracelet. We were all born with one, no one knew why or how. All we knew is that it took a year of knowing someone for it to show how compatible they were with you. Mine had only ever shown 7 out of 10 lights for anyone, and that was my sister. I was hoping that would change soon however. I’m 16, which means by next year I need to have found the man I want to make my Match, and I knew exactly who I wanted mine to be.
“Brad is so sweet and attractive and caring and perfect,” I said, sighing.
My best friend Troy also sighed. He’d heard this about a million times before. I slapped him and he pouted and left to go to class. We’d only known each other about 11 months, 12 next Monday, but he’s the closest I’ve been with anyone besides my sister. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Brad. You can do it. Just go over there and talk to him. No I can’t, what was I thinking? I looked for an escape route but it was too late.
“Hey Carrie!” Even that sounded good coming out of Brad’s mouth. I tried to smile and say hi back, but all that came out was, “h-“.
Brad politely pretended that I didn’t say anything, giving me a perfect opportunity for a second chance, so I dived in. “Hey I was wondering if you wanted to go to dinner this Friday,” I blurted out. I was red all over. He smiled. His teeth are perfect, I thought to myself.
“I would love to,” he said smoothly, and then walked away. I can’t tell if he realized why I asked him out now after so long. This Friday would be the exact day where we would’ve known each other for year, meaning I would finally know if we were meant to be together. I took off running to class, overjoyed that I would finally know. All I could think or talk about for the next three days was that short conversation.
Finally, Friday arrived, and I put on my periwinkle dress that I had received for my birthday, along with the matching earrings. I did my hair, and walked to the restaurant, to find Brad standing outside wearing jeans, a sweatshirt, and holding some bent flowers. I tried to ignore his informal attire, and focus on the flowers. I faked a smile and walked in with him.
We talked a little bit, but we mostly sat in awkward silence. This is what I get for never actually having a conversation before today. It felt like forever before the waiter brought the check, and once dinner was done, I practically ran out of the restaurant. I got home and realized that I was so focused on leaving the restaurant that I hadn’t looked at my Bracelet. I looked at it and saw two dim green lights looking back. I let out a deep sigh, and tried to hold back tears.
I arrived at school on Monday, not wanting to see Brad after our horrible date. I avoided eye contact with everyone until I saw Troy. I ran over towards him and exploded with “Oh my god Troy, it was terrible! It-“. Suddenly something caught my attention. I looked down to see 10 bright green lights flashing at me.