The Unspoken Words of an Unseen Heart | Teen Ink

The Unspoken Words of an Unseen Heart

February 27, 2015
By MelonAngel BRONZE, Burien, Washington
MelonAngel BRONZE, Burien, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

He saw her sitting there and wanted to speak, to say something, anything, oh if only he could, but by nature he can't.
Since Bobby was young he could not speak. His poor mother never got to hear the one word all mothers long for, and he would never be called on in class to share his opinion or answers for the teacher. Bobby was born a mute boy and though he still received the love of his parents like every child should, he has never felt complete. He can never appease the emotions that go through his head because he simply cannot put them into words. Sure there is that famous saying that “actions speak louder than words,” but only words can convey his thoughts in more complicated and meaningful ways to this girl that has captivated him.
She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. With her long black hair flowing through the soft breeze, she sat there staring off into the sky. She seemed to be at peace and he was afraid to approach her, thinking, how cruel it would be to suddenly break that blissful peace. But, as the seconds passed by he was beside her. She had not yet looked away from the captivating sky but rather than disturb her he just watched her, taking advantage of what seemed like a miracle to be so close to this girl. He stood there gazing at her, etching everything he saw into his brain. Her hair was not simply long and black as he had thought. It was layered and glossy, slightly wavy perhaps due to wearing it up in braids, and had a deep undertone of brown and red, and had the softest looking texture. Her eyes were the color brown and though round were shaped in a way that if she were to smile or laugh they would squint. She was wearing a knee-high, light colored, summer dress that complimented her tan skin, and judging from that he guessed that if she were to stand her height would be somewhere around the height of his shoulder. And then there were her hands. Her hands were small but didn’t seem delicate or fragile. Oh how he wished for those hands to be held by his own or for them to caress his face when he needs comfort. How he would cherish this girl if she were his he thought.
Without realizing it he found that she was staring at him. She had the same expression from when she was looking at the sky, a small smile like she was enjoying the silence of being alone and sitting in the sun, but she was looking at him. Bewildered and anxious, Bobby was unable to move. Her stare seemed to freeze him where he stood and because he can’t speak they stayed there like that. Awkwardly standing there, embarrassed by being caught, he wondered why she hadn’t said anything until someone came calling out “Rosa…Rosa where are you? It’s time to come back inside,” the voice said. The girl responded back looking left to right, “ I’m back here,” but by this time Bobby had already escaped to the other side of the yard, breathless,  heart pounding. He finally knows her name. He hid himself low as the woman who called out to Rosa came around the other side and approached her, “Come on Rosa, let’s go back inside,” she said, “Hhmmm okay,” Rosa responds as she breaths in her last moment of peace and reaches out like she is searching for something in front of her. “Here I am Rosa,” the woman says as Rosa finally finds the woman’s hands. As she is led back to the house Bobby realizes that the girl he has fallen for, is blind.
Bobby is devastated and angry by this discovery not because the girl he loves is blind, but because life seems to be fighting against him. How is he supposed to show Rosa his affection towards her when she cannot see it and he cannot speak it? How can he let her understand that when she speaks it is so light and gentle that there is no doubt she sings beautifully or that even though she cannot see she walks with such elegance as if she is of royalty. There is no end to the height at which his affection has grown due to their brief encounter. He has to see her again, he has to tell her, there must be a way.
Since then a few weeks have passed and Bobby still hasn’t been able to confess his love to Rosa. But he has learned new things about her. Rosa loves to be outside, especially in the evening when the sun is setting. He is not sure why but his guess would be that she likes the warm summer haze the sun gives as it descends. She also carries a book with her when she goes out, and though it seems weird for a blind girl to carry a book he assumes that she must take it to someone who can read it to her.
One day, Rosa leaves her book on a bench at the super market as she leaves with the same woman who had taken her inside her house. Without holding back Bobby runs to the bench and picks up the book. He plans to return it to Rosa right away as soon as he is done looking it over, in hopes to find her tastes in literature so he could get her a book as a gift. When he opens it, he finds that the book is in braille. This is amazing! he thought, he now had a way to communicate with her.
Bobby kept Rosa’s book while he spent the next few months studying braille. He worked hard and was eventually able to write Rosa a letter of confession. As he nervously walked up to Rosa’s home and knocked on the door, with book in hand, the woman from before answered the door. “Hello…” but there was no one at the doorstep, there was only a thick book on the ground with a note on top apologizing for not returning it sooner. The woman picked it up carefully and realized that this book was the one Rosa had frantically cried over losing. This book was a gift Rosa received from her father before he passed away. “Rosa, Rosa, someone returned your book!” she said, “What!! My book, the book father gave me!?” she said in response as her eyes teared up with relief. “Yes, but I didn’t see who left it, the book was left on the porch.” As she returns the book to Rosa’s shaking hands Rosa begins to sob, “Oh thank goodness,” as she opens it and runs her fingers across the pages for reassurance, checking that is the same love story of a young boy and girl. Then, to her surprise she finds an unfamiliar fold of paper inside. The paper itself were like all the other pages but started out different:
Dear Rosa,
I have waited and delayed my confession for you. You’re beauty has captivated me since the moment I saw you those few months ago. Your long hair that bonces as you walk, the light colored dresses you wear, I remember it all. You were sitting in your yard on a bench in the late afternoon facing towards the sky. Do you enjoy the warmth of the sun? Do you like the light touch of the breeze? I would love to learn more things about you because there is no end to the adoration I have for you.
I know that you are blind so please don’t disregard my letter as an impossible love for I believe with every fiber in my being we were meant to be. I myself am unable to speak. I was born as a mute child and have never been able to say things that matter. But, I am not regretful. I don’t blame anyone and only thank God for letting me live in this life, for letting me see you. I am not a very impressive young man. I would think that I have a good head on my shoulders and may go far in my aspirations, whenever or however they come. Right now I work on a farm in my families fields. My labored hands are a little rough to the touch but only have gentle intentions. I love to be outdoors. There is nothing like the brisk air in the morning to breath or the soft grass to feel under your feet. To feel the sun warm your skin as the birds sing their morning song while at night the crickets play there methodic beats and the moon cools the land, preparing everyone for a well-deserved sleep. Do you like the outdoors Rosa? I would love to spend a day with you, would that be okay? I want to know more about you, but I would rather your beautiful voice tell me.
In three days I will come back to your house. I will wait for you at the bench in your yard, awaiting your reply. Please give me a chance Rosa, I beg you.
       Love,
        Bobby
Rosa is left breathless by the contents of this letter. Such a confession has her heart nearly beating out of her chest, and she is ecstatic. “Mother! Mother! I got a letter!” Rosa says beaming with a smile, “Oh, well lets see what it says,” she says reaching for the letter. “You can’t Mother, it’s a special letter, a letter only meant for me in the strongest of ways” Rosa replies pulling the letter closer to her, “What is that supposed to mean,” her mother says, stunned. “It’s a love letter written by a farm boy. He knows I’m blind Mother…” Rosa pauses as she tries to hide her glee, “so he wrote is confession for me in braille,” Rosa finishes trying to catch her breath. “I have to meet him in three days with my response, what should I do Mother!? I’m so happy!” she asks, “Meet him? Why don’t we just write him a letter too?” her mother asks smiling at Rosa. “It’s not that simple Mother, he has to hear it. Just like I got to read his, he has to hear mine,” Rosa responds. Rosa feels like she is on cloud nine and knows there’s only one meaning behind it. “Bobby…” she sighs out as the night continues to darken the starlit sky.
The day of meeting has finally come and Rosa is already in the yard waiting. Bobby is walking up to Rosa’s house when he finds the woman from before waiting for him. He nervously walks ups and hands a letter to the woman. As she takes the letter she begins to speak, “You must be Bobby, you quite a looker,” she winks, “Rosa told me about your love letter, it was very unique of you to write a letter to her in braille,” she says with the letter Bobby had given her still in hand. As she begins to open the letter she asks Bobby, “Why don’t you say anyth-” she stops dead in her tracks. She is stunned by what she reads:
Dear Miss,
Thanks you for being so kind to Rosa. My name is Bobby and I have fallen in love with her. I have never met someone that has filled my heart with such happiness in such little time, though right now I admit, I am very nervous. My only wish is to be the one who fills Rosa’s heart with ever flowing joy. And so, I hope the unspoken words of my unseen heart have reached her. Please, take me to Rosa.
       Sincerely,
        Bobby
At that moment Rosa’s mother remembered her daughter’s last words and realized what it meant. She smiled, “Come this way” she told Bobby. She led Bobby to the yard where Rosa was waiting. Bobby’s face lit up with joy as he began to walk towards Rosa who was holding his love letter in hand. As he walked towards her Rosa’s mother called out, “Rosa, Bobby is here.” Rosa turns towards her mother’s voice with the brightest smile anyone would have ever seen and Bobby is happy beyond belief. Bobby turns briefly to nod his head in thanks to the woman and as he turns back towards Rosa she says, “Please take care of my daughter.” Bobby thought he had heard the woman say something but all he cared about was Rosa. With her, he was complete.
 


The author's comments:

A friend and I were talking dearing our chemistry class and he was asking me for help about a plot that involved a mute boy. And so I thought why not have him fall in love with a blind girl. He never got around to completing his story so I've made my own.