Puppet Love | Teen Ink

Puppet Love

By Violet3 BRONZE, Palm City, Florida
Violet3 BRONZE, Palm City, Florida
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

“Look,” said Marcy. She wove through the multitude of yarn that had turned her apartment into a human web. “I’m not good with this guy relationship stuff. He’s going to run away.  Why did you bother?” She collapsed on the plush ottoman with a loud groan, not expecting her best friend of 10 years to respond.
     Jennet sighed, trying to stuff an already full craft bin with sock puppets. Every time she threw more onto the pile, several fell out. “Why can’t you have any normal hobbies, Marcy?” Marcy’s nerdiness penetrated even the air.  Jennet glanced at her designer watch before releasing an annoyed breath.  She liked Marcy. They were practically sisters, so she knew Marcy was a diamond in the rough, nerdy but fun when she broke out of her comfort zone.  Unfortunately, Marcy only felt comfortable around her.
     “Sock puppets are an art, and this “art” is a normal hobby!” Marcy picked up a faceless sock puppet. While she fussed over its disheveled yarn hair with vague interest, her TOMS® tapped a fast rhythm on the floor.
     “Sure it is,” Jennet snapped, looking through Marcy’s wardrobe and flinging tattered art camp tee shirts and paint stained sweats into a pile.  She knew Marcy had to have at least one suitable date outfit. “You’re not even dressed yet. Properly.” There were now more clothes on the floor than in the closet.  Marcy was not making her job easy.
     Screw it. Aiden would just have to appreciate the lived-in look of the apartment. “Here,” Jennet smiled in triumph, chucking an unopened designer-labeled box at Marcy, “this looks nice.”
     “Have you even seen it?” asked Marcy, glaring at the box as if it were road kill. “It’s still in the box for a reason. My mom picked it out.”
     Jennet had now moved on to raiding the bathroom for any signs of makeup. “That’s why I know it will look nice.” The box came from Marcy’s designer mom. God forbid that Marcy have any sense of fashion. She checked the watch and cussed.  Five minutes. She could hear the rustle of tissue paper as Marcy finishing dressing. 
     “Now let me see you.” Janet left the bathroom and held Marcy arm’s length.  Jennet nodded, studying the pink blouse and tulle skirt combo before she beaming at Marcy. “You look cute!”
     A knock on the door caused both of them to jump.
     “S***!” Marcy said. “He’s early.” She pushed Jennet into the closet before turning towards front door.
     “Good luck, Champ,” Jannet whispered.  Marcy rolled her eyes.
     Through a crack between the closet door and the doorframe, Jennet could see Marcy conversing with Aiden. Aiden then handed her a rose.
     “Wow… you’re all dolled up, Mar,” he said.  Marcy laughed and blushed, tucking a strand of red hair away from her face. Jennet crossed her fingers and hoped the date would go perfectly.  She wondered what they would do.  Maybe they would go out to see a movie, or to an Italian dinner, or visit an art museum or something.
     They did not.
     An hour passed. This has to be the weirdest date ever, thought Jennet, mentally face palming. She rubbed her temples, trying to comprehend the events taking place. Her brain was still in denial. Aiden and Marcy were making puppets. Sock puppets.
    If Aiden had known she was in this closet, she would have come out and slapped him. She had expected more of him. Aiden was the guy who had given out Valentine’s roses to all the girls in kindergarten.  He was the kind who took chicks on moonlight candlelit dinners and sung by windowsills and did other things girls dreamed of. She thought he would be more… prince-like.  She handpicked him for Marcy for goodness sakes!
     “Darn it,” Aiden grimaced after he burned a finger with the glue gun.  He was not that “hobby guy.” He was not that at all.
Yet, he graciously continued building his sock puppet and laughed off Marcy’s concern for his burn.  Janet allowed herself a small smile. The fact was Aiden was a gentleman. This date was actually kind of sweet—in a weird kind of way.
     Aiden looked at his watch.  The afternoon passed quickly. He smiled apologetically; Marcy walked him to the door. “I’m so sorry—I have to catch my brother’s basketball game.” It figured since Aiden’s family had a total basketball obsession.

Jennet strained to hear what they were saying. The closet door creaked as she leaned a bit too heavily on its wooden frame. She froze. 
     “It’s totally fine.” Marcy’s voice rose in pitch.

Jennet knew apologies made Marcy uncomfortable, but the creak did not help either. 
     All three of them paused in awkward silence. The couple’s puppets hung limply at their sides.
     Then, Aiden abruptly leaned in for a kiss. Jennet could swear the puppets did too as they held hands. Ironically, Marcy’s sock puppet was as red as her face. 
     “Later,” Aiden said via his orange sock puppet guy.  Marcy just stared at him, like a statue. A small grin lit up her face.

END

Aly12 said...
on Feb. 16 2015 at 2:38 pm
Nice story! Enjoyable read!

Mbelle said...
on Feb. 16 2015 at 10:18 am
Cute story! Loved it!!!!

Blue13 said...
on Feb. 1 2015 at 2:25 pm
Love how Marcy