Accidents | Teen Ink

Accidents

By algladding17 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
algladding17 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Accidents

The snow glows white on the mountains as we stand there, on top of the world, looking around at the other mountains that  surround us.  We can see the valleys between those mountains, and the trees that sway in the cool spring breeze in those valleys.  We can see the glowing snow covering the tips of the mountains, and we can see rocks jutting out underneath.  Breathing deeply, the air is full of spring, the blossoming buds, and the newly greened grass.  When we look up, the sky is wonderfully bright and stretches on forever, and clouds are nonexistent.  The sun is surrounded by a blue blanket, and we can feel the rays lightly warming our cheeks.  There is a slight breeze in the air, and it gently brushes through our hair as we stand.  I step towards him, my snowpants swish, and snow crunches under my boots.  I can see his face, his jaw muscles are relaxed, his lips are perfectly pink, naturally together, and he breathes slowly and evenly.  It reminds me of the first time I saw his face, out on the overcrowded sidewalks of New York, just outside the local supermarket. 
The sky was cloudy and dark grey, there was a slight chill in the air, and rain was pouring down from above.  I was making my way home from class, deciding on what flavor of Ramen Noodles to eat, when I tripped over my foot, parting the crowd like Moses parted the Red Sea.  Except for one unlucky stranger, who was now directly in my way.  I hit them hard, and took him down with me.  We ended up in a large heap on the cement, tangled up together, my face inches from his.  Hot, minty breath grazed my face, and his deep blue eyes locked onto mine, slowly studying my face, seemingly absorbing every detail.  I felt stuck in this position, unable to break my contact and untangle myself from the mess that we had made.  He blinked and started to get up, breaking the connection we had somehow forged in those few seconds, forcing me to quickly get up and dust myself off.
“I’m so sorry about that.” Words tumbled out of my mouth, “I just tripped over my shoe, and then I landed on you, and I’m just really sorry about it all.”
“Don’t worry about it.” He said, his voice deep and smooth. “I’m just as klutzy as you are, but I guess today was my lucky day.”
“Your lucky day?” I questioningly asked.
“Because I met you.” He said, his face lighting up, flashing me with a dazzling smile.
“Oh, wow, well let me give you my number.” I sheepishly said, as heat rose to my face and my cheeks became deep red, and butterflies suddenly filled my stomach.  “Oh, and by the way, my name is Lily.”
“The name is James. Hopefully we can grab a coffee or something sometime soon Lily.” He whispered into my ear, and then slowly started to make his way back into the crowd, disappearing within seconds, gone until I saw him next. 

The warmth from his body sends me back to reality, and I shiver, chills running up and down my spine, because I know.  I know that he’s the one that I am meant to spend the rest of my life with, my other half, my best friend, my one true love.  He is the only one that knows just what to say to me, the only one who knows how to hold me tight, and make me feel safe.  He is the only one who knows me inside-out, all of my flaws, my likes, and my dislikes.  And I know exactly who he is too.  He loves dogs, his favorite food is pickles, he despises jelly, he loves to hear me laugh even though I hate when I laugh, and when he laughs, his nose gets all scrunched up.  These small, insignificant little details about him make me love him even more.  We both understand our flaws, and we can be happy together with them.  I close my eyes and slowly inhale the crisp air through my nose, and sigh out my mouth.  I glance over at James, who seems to be tying his boot, and then back at the mountains.  James pokes me in the side, and I whip around to ask him why he is poking me while I am trying to enjoy the view, and stop when I see what James is doing.  He's down on one knee, holding open a tiny box that holds a diamond ring.  My heart swoops, my throat closes, and my eyes begin to tear up because of how I feel for him.  I cover my face because of pure joy, because I get to spend the rest of my life with the one for me.  I've waited a long time for this to happen to me, but I know that if you are patient, good things will come, like James, even in the most unsuspecting places. 
"Will you marry me?" James lovingly says.
"YE-YES!YES!" I nearly shout as I wrap my arms around him.
Now I know what true happiness is, and I don’t want to ever let it go.

Its about a girl who loves a boy, and how they met on accident.

BNYC said...
on Feb. 18 2016 at 3:47 pm
This is a very poignant story by an aspiring writer who is sure to go on and do big things! I cannot wait to read more!