Join Him Soon | Teen Ink

Join Him Soon

By mikaylahammrich BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
mikaylahammrich BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia

Join Him Soon
By Mikayla Hammrich
Tears streamed down my chilled, flushed face as I watched my husband of twenty-eight years descend slowly into the cold, hard ground. I looked over at our children and their families, all bundled up to protect themselves from the harsh cold. I felt a raindrop land on the side of my face reminding me of how much he used to love the rain. That thought caused fresh tears to fall. Feeling more rain begin to fall, I looked up, closed my eyes, and was transported back thirty years to our first date.
* * * * *
"Sweetie, Greyson is here to pick you up! And bring an umbrella, it's starting to rain," my mom called from downstairs.
"I'll be right down, tell Dad to be nice!" I reminded. I grabbed my umbrella and rushed eagerly downstairs to greet my gentleman caller. When I arrived at the top of the stairs, I looked down and saw him. His athletic body was covered with a soft looking fabric of midnight black with a brown belt. His Polo shirt was perfectly fitted to show off his muscled arms and chiseled stomach. He held a small bouquet of red daisies- my favorite - in his hands which were trembling slightly - I suppose he was just as nervous as I was. My gaze slid upwards to his angled face. His beautiful, clear, olive skin was flushed, his full lips slightly parted. His nose and cheeks were spotted with freckles. Finally facing him, I looked up and released a pent up breath and the hair around his temple moved slightly, causing my eyes to shift upwards. His luscious, wavy, red-brown hair was slightly disheveled like he had been running his hand through it. It was charming, perfectly unkempt. My eyes were then drawn to his, and I stared for what seemed liked eternity into his dark blue eyes. There was a look in his eyes, a look that you see in fairy tales. The one that every girl dreams of seeing on her love's face. "Here," he handed me the daisies, "You look stunning." I blushed as he held out his arm. I took it, we said goodbye to my parents, and we headed out.
* * * * *
My youngest son, Daniel's, hand applied gentle pressure to the small of my back and brought me out of my revelry. It was time to go, to leave my beloved Greyson one last time. We drove back to what is no longer our house, but mine alone. Dinner with my family passed in a blur. Afterwards, the children and I retired to the living room while the grandchildren went to the basement to play. We sat in silence for a time. My daughter, Elsie, broke the silence with a question, "Can you tell us about him? When he was younger? What was he like?"
"He was magnificent. A true gentleman. I don't think I opened a door once whenever I was with him," I chuckled, "If my bag was heavy, he would carry it for me. He would read my mind somehow and know what to do, how to make me feel better."
"He did that for me too - open doors - he said that's how he wanted my future husband to treat me. And he does," Elsie said as she squeezed her husband's hand.
I smiled as I watched them, their love for each other apparent in their eyes and physicality. I then looked to my sons, Alec and Daniel, with their wives and saw the same love radiating between them as well. It pleased me to no end to see Alec and Daniel look at their wives with the same love and devotion that Greyson used to look at me with. How I miss him.
"We were both so strong-willed. We used to argue all the time," I said with a smile, "well not argue so much as debate. We didn't agree on everything, but we always agreed on the important things. We always respected and loved each other. He had the same witty and sarcastic personality as me. We would laugh at each other all the time, but it was never an issue because we knew we weren't serious. We would bundle up during the winter months and read together. And whenever it rained we would go sit outside, sit on the bench swing, and talk. Talk about anything and everything under the sun. We would tell each other everything about our days, what we were thinking. I think I will miss that the most, having someone to tell everything to. Someone who listens and replies thoughtfully."
"I'll miss his smile. His laugh too; he thought everything was funny. It was such a pleasant laugh," Elsie chimed in.
"I'll miss his voice mixing with mine during church," I said as the grandchildren scrambled up the stairs. My kids and their spouses took turns hugging me goodbye as their children tugged on their clothes, impatient to finally leave. I waved goodbye to my family as they drove away. I looked up at the dark sky and thanked God for the time he allowed me to spend with Greyson. I prayed that I might join Him and Greyson in heaven soon.