To Have or Not to Have a Boyfriend | Teen Ink

To Have or Not to Have a Boyfriend

By mikaylahammrich BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
mikaylahammrich BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia

I used to believe that life would be easier if I remained single until I graduated high school. Being told from a young age that boyfriends were a hassle and did nothing except drain your energy and vie for your attention, I wanted no part of it. My boyfriend, Chris, helped me see the error of my thinking.
Chris and I have been friends since we were three years old. We grew up together, made mud pies in his backyard, and he even attended my tea parties. I remember one time when we were in second grade, Chris heard a boy tease me about my glasses, and promptly kicked him square in the shin. He has always been my protector. We always told each other everything: our crushes, problems with other friends, and families. During our sophomore year of high school, Chris said something that would make me rethink my stance on staying single. 
I stretched onto my tip toes and saw his head peak out from the masses in the hallway. Our paths crossed by the water fountain and he turned around to walk with me to our last class of the day. After exiting the building, we slid into his car and drove back to my house. We took a bag of chips out of the pantry and plopped down on the couch to talk about our days. I put my feet over the end of the couch and leaned my head on his lap. Playing with my hair, he asked about my day. We lounged until my mom appeared in the doorway and announced that dinner was ready. After dinner we headed upstairs to do homework in my room. We sat side by side on my bed, working for a while.
Before he got up to go home, he leaned in close to me and said, "I have a problem."
"What's wrong?" I asked, concern spread across my face.
"I like you, like like you, but I don't want to ruin our friendship. I've liked you for a while now, but if you don't feel the same way, I completely understand. You know what, just forget I said anything. I'm going to go now."
He stood for a moment then gathered his things and ran downstairs before I could catch my bearings. Not thinking, I jumped out of bed and ran to catch him, but he was already in his car and pulling out of the driveway. Still in a daze, I walked back inside, closed the door, and leaned against it.
"Is Chris okay? He ran out of here like a bat out of hell," my mom commented as she dried the dishes.
"Chris just told me that he likes me."
Gently putting down the glassware she was drying, my mom ushered me into the living room, sat me on the couch, and looked at me expectantly.
"Do you feel the same way?" She prodded when I remained silent.
"I don't know, I've never thought about him like that. Even if I did, what if it didn't work out and we couldn't be friends anymore? I don't know what I'd do if we weren’t friends. We tell each other everything - I don't want to lose that! Mommy, I don't know what to do."
Putting her arm around me she said, "First, tell me what happened, and we'll go from there."
I relayed what happened upstairs while my mom made me a cup of tea to calm my nerves.
"Now what you need to decide is whether you like him or not," my mom advised. "Do you look forward to seeing him, even if only for a split second? Do you smile when you think about him, and get butterflies in your stomach when he's near?"
I let out a timid, "Yes."
"Well then, I think you have your answer."
"But isn't being in a relationship hard? It is hard enough balancing school, work, family, and friends, but to add a boyfriend to it all? Being single is much simpler, there’s no drama. Say it’s Friday night and a friend that Chris doesn’t know wants me to come over? What do I do then? Should I go and leave Chris or should I not go? And if I do go, Chris might be upset or something.”
"True, the single life is an easy one, but it’s also a lonely one. I think that being Chris's girlfriend would be good for you. You two are practically dating anyways. And yes, relationships are hard, but when you’re with the right person, all of the bad things seem to melt away and it will be the easiest thing you ever do," my mom interjected.
"I understand what you mean. And I guess we already do everything together and I do like him. Just thinking about him makes me smile. Whenever I do something goofy, he smiles this crooked smile and my stomach flip-flops. I can be myself around him, I don’t have to try to be cool or put together, just me. If a day goes by and we don’t talk, I feel off until we do. I remember one time when he was on vacation, we Skyped until three in the morning,” I smiled at the memory. I thought about it a few more moments then said with confidence, “I’m going to do it. Can I go see him now?”
“Of course, honey, go!” she urged as she ushered me towards the door.
I picked up my keys and my mom tossed me my coat. Running out the door, I called a quick goodbye to my mom and closed the car door. My mind raced trying to find the right words to express my feelings. I was so preoccupied that I almost didn’t see Chris’s car pulled over on the side of the road and Chris pacing on the sidewalk next to it. I pulled over and parked behind him. Chris turned around and froze when he recognized my car. Our eyes met as I turned off the car. I opened the door and slowly walked towards him, our eyes locked together. I stopped a few inches from him and pulled back to look into his eyes. I reached up and rested my hands on cheeks and felt his head move towards me. My eyes closed as my arms wrapped around his neck. Our lips met and didn’t part again for several minutes.
Gasping for air, I took a step away from him, looked up, and smiled. He smiled back and squeezed my hand, which still rested in his.
“So in case it wasn’t clear, I like you too.”

Mydoublebass BRONZE, Metamora, Illinois
So adorable!