The Love Of My Life | Teen Ink

The Love Of My Life

By Colorguard23 SILVER, Mayslick, Kentucky
Colorguard23 SILVER, Mayslick, Kentucky

I can still remember the day I met my soon to be husband. Even after 6 years of being together he still get to me. I love him, no doubt about it, but he gets on my nerves. It was cold and foggy the day I met Dean. I had a terrible day at school. Bullying and all that nonsense. Stupid and immature I know. Being a girl I knew exactly how bad an insult could hurt.
  " Sissy!" Shouted a little voice. I turned to see my little sister Annie, running up to me from the fourth grader's line. I smiled at her trying to seem happy for her sake. Annie hugged my legs and immediately started babbling about her day at school.
    " Today we made turkeys!" She rambles proudly, shoving her turkey in my face. It was one of those handprint turkeys that every one has made atleast once in their life. It's goggly eyes rolled at me seeming like it was as amused by Annie's antics as I was. " It's beautiful." I told her. Her eyes lit up at the compliment and she grabbed my hand. We started the five minute walk home. Annie kept on happily talking completely oblivious to the fact that I wasn't paying attention. After all I had a math test later this week. Stopping at our mail box I checked it for mail while Annie ran up the stairs and into our mother's arms. I followed much slower. My mother is a beautiful woman with thick black hair, dark brown eyes and a strong face that spoke of our Native American heritage. I was jealous of her. I liked to think I was pretty but I couldn't compete with my mother. I pulled my hair into an even tighter pony tail. Mom wrapped her arms around me and her sweet smelling morning glory perfume enveloped me in a cloud. I smiled happily and squeezed her even tighter. She squeezed me back. Letting go she smiled her beautiful white toothed smile and said dinner would be ready in about an hour. I smiled back and went into my room. I tossed my bag onto my bed and snuggled underneath the blankets. Popping the latest season of Inuyasha into the disk holder I realized I probably should be studying. But after all the test is on Friday and it's only Wednesday. I shrugged mentally and was soon captivated by my show. "Emily! It's dinner time!" Shouted my mother. Sighing I paused the episode right in the middle of a fight scene. Not just a fight scene, THE fight scene. The best fight scene in the series: when Inuyasha is fighting Naraku with the help of his friends. Crawling out of bed I looked looked longingly at my bed and my labtop. I all but kicked myself out of my room. I walked into the living room and stopped dead in my tracks.
Oh.My.Gosh.
There on my couch was the hottest boy I had ever seen. His green eyes shone as he laughed at a joke my father had made. I say there almost drooling over this unknown hottie in my house for almost a minute. Until my little sister( Bless her heart)  yelled "Sissy!" at the top of her lungs and pointed one chubby finger at me. I squirmed under the weight of the gazes that fell on me.
Under their gazes I realized that I was still wearing my black sweats and my blue Powder Puff Girls tee shirt. Blushing furiously I walked into the room and sat by Annie. Smiling, my mother introduced me to our new neighbors: Ariel and John Smith and their son Dean. Dean's eyes sparkled at me as a smile stole it's way across his beautiful face.
    "Hi." he said and my heart melted.
  Dean had been my boyfriend of 6 years until last year. When he proposed. Wiping my sweaty hands on my dress I waited for my cue. Daddy looked down at me and kissed my forehead.
"You're beautiful." He whispered, his voice shaking with tears.
  I smiled up at him and said "I love you." 
   " I love you too." He replied.
The loving chords of the bridal march sounded and I started the walk down the aisle towards the love of my life and my new life as Emily Smith.