The (Laser) Quest for Love | Teen Ink

The (Laser) Quest for Love MAG

December 18, 2014
By Keilani Snyder BRONZE, Corona Del Mar, California
Keilani Snyder BRONZE, Corona Del Mar, California
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

It was a Friday night, and despite the cool atmosphere, my heart burned for him. He had these blue eyes like pools of water that reflected the red and white LEDs from the sign above us. His pale skin softly glowed in the light. We stood next to each other, ready to dive into battle. And then, together, as one being of pure strength, we stepped through the doors of Laser Quest. We strode toward the front desk, and after exchanging words with the ecstatic cashier, Cuzco, we received our cards. We then discussed our code names and battle plans. My name was Doris; he was Boris. We were one team. We were meant to be.

The next room we stepped into was dark, like a cavern. Glowing paintings glared at us from the walls, and small children dotted the room, screaming like bloodthirsty, laser-wielding chimpanzees. In any other circumstance, I would have been afraid. In any other circumstance, I would have felt adrenaline coursing through my veins, for my fear would overwhelm me. But here, next to my love, I felt like I had just become prom queen. The adrenaline came from my admiration of him. He was the armor to my knight. He was the shell to my snail. But he was not mine. If only he had known.

The doors opened; we were in chaos. Looming towers surrounded us, and the skies above were black and endless. The neon wall designs attacked my eyes, tearing at my sanity. I grabbed my laser gun and attempted to calm myself. Little did I know he was there behind me, slaying children with his glorious red beams of light, protecting me. And his love hit me again, much like how his lasers hit the children. It cut through me, red-hot, and pierced my heart, making me vulnerable and self-conscious.

Seconds later, we were running. We bolted from a horde of laser-wielding children like deer fleeing a wolf pack. Lasers were flying by us, and my love was hit. Startled by the saddening beep beep beep of his laser pack, he shouldered a wall. Everything was in slow motion. Everything was dark. He fell, his feather-like hair fluttering. I screamed, “Marshal! Marshal! Marshal!” But it was too late. There he lay, a heap on the floor. Unmoving. The pride drained from him.

Hours later, I lay in my room. Awaiting news of my concussion-stricken crush, I thought It’s over. For it was. After the embarrassing and tragic incident, my partner “Boris” would likely be too pained to return to Laser Quest. Our relationship would likely never be the same, and I had to accept that. Eventually I would find another partner, another love. Yet still I was stricken with grief. That is why rule number six of the Laser Quest soldiers is, “I will not run, jump, or climb.” For if you run, if you jump, then you will fall. You will fall like my love, or you will fall in love like me.