How special you are | Teen Ink

How special you are

By Natagirl SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Natagirl SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Ryland would spend hours each day staring at the mirror feeling nothing but disgust and pure hatred at the reflection that stared back at him. Ryland had been with his boyfriend Blaze for a couple of months now and although he knew that Blaze loved him he'd never dare let him see his body without the many layers of clothing on top of it. He didn't want Blaze, who he cherished more then anything else in the world, to be disgusted by all of his fat and his thighs that were filled with scars from the blades that he had drawn through them. One morning after Blaze had already left and Ryland was getting dressed he stopped only in his underwear and looked into the mirror, as he stood there he began to feel hot tears roll down his face. He heard a soft whisper "oh Ryland". He turned around to find Blaze staring at him with a sad look on his face. Ryland burst into tears and fell to the ground hiding his face behind his hands. No, Blaze couldn't see him now, not like this. He lifted up his knees and buried his face in attempt to hide his tears. Blaze slowly sat down next to his trembling boyfriend and pulled Ryland onto his lap running gentle fingers along the side of his starving body. Ryland just clung to Blaze and sobbed into his shirt. He loved how Blaze smelled, he loved how Blaze felt, how Blaze made him feel. He couldn't lose Blaze. Thinking of losing his one true love just made Ryland cry harder. They sat like that for a moment in silence, Ryland choking on his tears and Blaze with his face buried in his boyfriend's thick brown hair. After a moment or so Blaze sighed "Look at me love" he whispered into Ryland's ear. Ryland looked up slowly, tears streaking his face. "You're beautiful" Blaze told him as he ran his fingers through his boyfriends hair, brushing it out of his face. "I love you baby, more than anything. I need you to realize just how special you are" Blaze took Ryland's hand in his own pressing a soft kiss to it. "I promise you that you're not on your own and we will get through this together" Blaze said as he squeezed Ryland's hand. "I love you" Ryland whispered looking up at Blaze's face and Blaze leaned down and kissed Ryland as he gently held his hips and lifted his boyfriend so that he was standing and kissed every scar on his thighs. "Thank you" Ryland whispered.