The Boy With the Mysterious Smile | Teen Ink

The Boy With the Mysterious Smile

December 9, 2014
By morgantelantik BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
morgantelantik BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jenny, My best friend, in the whole entire world invited me to go to an amusement park. Although Jenny and I have only  known each other for about two years we have become closer than I have been with any other friend. At first I was totally stoked and couldn’t wait, but then I found out that Jenny had also invited the little she devil Courtney Lynch. Courtney and I have known eachother since we were three, although I never really liked her. I don’t know why, just something about her gives me a sickening feeling in my stomach. She has been trying to “steal” Jenny away from me the second they meet each other.

Not only did I dread going with Courtney, but I knew that I would be completely left out due to Courtney’s obsession of kicking me out of Jenny’s life.
The day had arrived, the day I had been dreading for almost 2 weeks. The day we go to the amusement park. Jenny picked me up at a quarter to 9 that morning.
   While we were waiting in line to enter Jenny stopped in her tracks and started repeating the word no to herself. When I asked her what was wrong she pointed to this guy laughing with his friends and said “ You see him? Ya don’t talk to him. He has been to juvie multiple times.”
From far away he actually looked kinda cute, but of course I didn’t tell Jenny that.
The whole day I felt like I was the third wheel and both of them would much rather not have me there. I tried to just see the best in it and have fun. Courtney has been begging us the whole day to ride the roller coaster but Jenny and I aren’t that into riding roller coasters. Truth is I’ve never actually been on a real rollercoaster. I’ve been on those stupid little kid ones, but not a big one.
Throughout the day Jenny has been more, and more convinced about riding the rollercoaster. I was starting to get really nervous because I was not in the mood to tell my best friend and my enemy that I’ve never ridden a roller coaster.
I managed to keep them off of the roller coaster until there were like ten minutes until Jenny’s mom would be there to pick us up. I could tell that Jenny had givin’ in and was about to suggest they go ride so I quickly said that I had to use the restroom before we left.
When I came back I noticed that they weren't where they said that they would meet me so I took my phone out to call Jenny and saw a text that said “ Went to ride the rollercoaster. Come meet us in line.”
I was torn between pulling it together and finding them in line and, waiting and saying I didn’t see the text. After what seems like a lifetime of debating I finally chose to ride the roller coaster.
When I found Jenny and Courtney in line there were only 2 people in front of them. It wasn’t very long until I realized that once again I would be the one sitting alone.
When it was our turn to ride I actually almost didn’t get to ride on the same round as them, until I heard the guy yell out if there were any single riders. When I got situated in my seat and looked over to see who I got seated with I realized it was the guy that Jenny said went to juvie. He looked a lot cuter close up than he did far away. I didn’t bother saying anything to him because I was already nervous about the ride. I didn’t want to be worried I might say something stupid and be scared for my life at the same time.
The guy that had me sit there came back around to check if all the seat belts were tight. When he got to me I sucked in my stomach to make it tighter and asked the guy to check again. When he walked away I heard the guy next to me ask me laugh a little and say “Little nervous?”
All I could manage to get out was a little smile. He then told me that his name was Jake and I told him that mine was Ashley. Right before the ride was going to start he said don’t worry it’s just a ride.
His advice did not seem to help me at all because I was freaking out. About half way through the ride I felt Jake reach over and grab my hand and squeeze it making my whole body go numb.
The ride had ended and as I realized that we were still holding hands I quickly let go and looked down embarrassed. Jake walked out with me and then when we were almost to my friends, stopped and looked and me and said “Hey, I was wondering, do you maybe want to get coffee or something tomorrow?”
Without giving myself anytime to think I blurted out yes a lot louder than I would have liked.
The second I got home I started getting ready and picking my outfit out and try different things with my hair and makeup, then realized the date was tomorrow.
That whole night I couldn’t sleep. I just layed awake on my bed for what seemed like a lifetime.
Finally the morning came and I rushed out of bed and downstairs to make breakfast hoping that the faster I went the faster the day would go by. I didn’t know what to do today besides taking 5 hours to get ready so I decided to get out my favorite romance book and see how far I could get.
Time went by way faster than I thought it would because before I knew it I was supposed to meet Jake in an hour.
I was so thankful that I had picked out and outfit and done my hair and make-up the night before because I was not planning on ruining this and being late.
I ended up being 30 minutes early and decided to drive over and just read and wait.
After about 20 minutes Jake walks into the coffee house and my mind goes blank. I can’t stand up, talk, or move. I’m just frozen staring at him beautiful smile. The same smile I saw when he was laughing with his friends, the one that I fell instantly in love with. Realizing that this really was real life I managed out a little hey followed by the nervous cracking of my nuckles.
The date was amazing, better than I ever imagined it to be. We talked about our interests, where we want to go in life, and he kept telling me how beautiful I looked. We also ended up getting on the topic of Jenny.
He told me that he knew that Jenny had told me bad stuff about him and that what she told me was true but that he had stopped all of it and had turned his life around.
Jake left not that long after that conversation. When Jake left I checked my phone to see if my mom had called me or texted me and to my surprise I had 8 texts and 3 missed calls from Jenny. Wondering why in the world she did that I called her back and she answered within 2 rings. Before I had time to say hello she was practically yelling at me through the phone saying stuff about how I totally blew her off and that she couldn’t believe that I did that. When she finally calmed down she asked me where I was and I told her truthfully that I was with Jake. She immediately freaked out and started yelling again and then randomly hung up. A little confused at what happened I just went on with my day normally.
The rest of the week I felt like Jenny had completely forgotten about me. She didn’t say a word to me the whole week. She didn’t even look at me or acknowledge that I was there.
Saturday morning I had gotten a really long text from her explaining that I had missed our 2 year friendship anniversary that we had planned about a year and promised that no matter what we wouldn’t miss it. She also said that on top of that, that I went on a date with her worst enemy and that she doesn’t think she could forgive me for that.
I tried to keep going with my life and with Jake reassuring myself that a real friend wouldn’t care who I date as long as I’m happy.
Things with Jake were going really well. We hung out almost everyday after school and every friday would go somewhere special on a date.
I loved our little dates because everytime he would pick something new and I was always found myself trying to guess what the next one would be.
I loved all of them except this one that I will remember for the rest of my life.
We were in the car driving to the bowling alley when Jakes car started making weird noises. He pulled over to the side of the road to see what was going on. He asked me to go get some of his tools from the trunk. I gladly went to get the tools. I didn’t find tools but what I did find was a giant bottle of vodka, two 12 packs of beer, meth, and cocaine. I could not believe what I was seeing. Jake had said that he stopped doing this. He lied.
I didn’t know what to do so I ran and got in his car and just sat there crying. When Jake came into the car he didn’t even have to ask what was wrong, he knew. All he said was you saw them didn’t you. he tried to explain but I had no interest in hearing him lie. Before he could finish his so called explanation I got out of the car and yelled you lied to me. You probably lied about everything! and ran away crying. Behind me I heard Jake yell after me that he was my ride and that we were was too far to walk. I didn’t care if I had to walk I just wanted to get away from him.
The next week was probably the worst week of my life. I felt so alone. I didn’t have anyone to talk to. I couldn’t talk to Jake or didn’t want to and my best friend wouldn’t talk to me either.
About two weeks later I heard that Jake had been arrested for under age drinking and being in possession of drugs. I ran down to the police station and asked to visit him.
I couldn’t last one more minute with no one to talk to.
When I saw Jakes face I couldn’t help but cry. With tears running down my face all i could say was why. He tried to explain again and this time I actually listened. What he was saying to me actually made sense. Still crying I apologized for being so rude and asked for his forgiveness. He forgave me and for a while we both just sat there crying  and laughing at how stupid we looked. The police officer told him that it was time to go back and he had told him for a few more seconds because there was one more thing he needed to do.
I was very confused because I had no idea what he was going to do. I was about to ask his what else he wanted to do when out of no where, he kissed me.


The author's comments:

This peice is a love story about two teenagers that never thought that their relationship would end the way that it did.