Christmas Music Playing Softly | Teen Ink

Christmas Music Playing Softly

By BlossomM. PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
BlossomM. PLATINUM, Austin, Texas

After Thanksgiving, I was washing the dishes with my sister, a tall, beautiful brunette of 23, compared to my younger, 17 years old, red-haired self, who still wore a spattering of freckles across the bridge of her nose. The adults were talking in the living room by the fire made by Uncle Louis. We could hear their glasses clinking and the soft murmur of talk, occasionally broken by a burst of laughter. The sound of Christmas music was a comforting presence in the background, reminding me that the wonderful Holiday was just around the corner.

I knew something was bothering my sister because she had decided to wash the dishes with me rather than talk to the adults. I was her closest confident and she often spoke to me about life's problems. So, I stayed silent, knowing she would speak eventually. She did.
     "I'm getting married, Lucy." she said.
     I froze, my sponge incomplete in its circle of the plate. Had I just heard correctly? Had Brad proposed? I knew they loved each other, but marriage? What if something happened? What if they got divorced? That seemed to happen so much these days. My heart pounded with fear for my sister, but as she went on to describe the wonderfully romantic way Brad had proposed, my fear lessened. I knew Brad. They had been dating each other since 12th Grade. He was already almost part of the family. Why not make it legal?
     "Have you told anyone other than me, yet?" I asked her.
     "No. I'm a little nervous about how they will react." she said, shrugging her shoulders, something she always did when she was uncertain.
     "You shouldn't be. They all like Brad. I don't think they will object to your marriage." I said, happy that my sister, even though she was older, always spoke to me and looked to me for advice. "And, this is the best time to tell them, while they're in the Holiday mood." I added.
     My sister flashed me a grateful smile and dried her hands on a kitchen towel, which is when I first noticed her ring, before leaving the kitchen. I listened intently. I could hear the flow of my sisters voice talking, then a buzz or words, laughter, and many congratulations when she finished. At first, I refrained from joining in. I wanted to think about this new arrangement. I loved my sister dearly. I truly hoped she would be happy with her chosen life. My mind began to think pleasant thoughts. I would be an aunt soon. I could already see the family gatherings. People and children everywhere, laughter rising to the beams. Then a thought occurred to me! Finally, there would be children younger than myself to wash the dishes! I smiled. I just hoped she and Brad wouldn't move very far away. I would miss seeing them if they did. I finished the dish I was washing and went to join the family in the living room, where my sister was showing off her diamond ring and grinning delightedly. I decided that she would be very happy married.

This piece was inspired by Thanksgiving right around the corner