An Unexpected Love Affair | Teen Ink

An Unexpected Love Affair

By Riley12 SILVER, Lakewood, Ohio
Riley12 SILVER, Lakewood, Ohio

If we have souls, they are bounded by love, dimmed by time, and lost by death
-Oblivion

I haven’t really realized that we broke up until right now. Its been a little less than a month that I’ve been single, but because its valentines day, I feel more lonely than ever. I have never really loved the day, sappy and pink aren’t my kind of thing. I texted my best friend, Carly Burns, about an hour ago asking if she wants to go out to dinner after work, but I still can’t stop thinking about my ex, Jeff Andrews. When she finally answered my text, replying with a million little emojis as she always does, I got in my car and drove to our favorite restaurant to meet up with her. Of course, I put in the old CD that Jeff made for me, like the fool I am. When I pulled up to the parking lot, I didn’t see her car anywhere so I sat in the car and listened to the rest of the CD. About ten minutes went by, and I realized that either she was running late, or I was just really early. So I got up and rushed quickly to the entrance of the restaurant because I knew how cold it was outside.
   When I entered the place, I was gracefully greeted with scents of pastries and amazing entrees. I asked the hostess for a table for two, and told her to look out for my short, blonde haired, best friend. She asked me, “girls night on valentines day huh? Thats the way I would role too.” I just nodded my head and smiled back at her. “Let me know if you need anything darlin,” she said, and left me to sit alone at my table. I texted Carly. Almost here? When she didn’t reply a few minutes later I decided to order my drink. A Shirley Temple of course, what's valentines day without one? Thats when he walked in, and my heart sank to the bottom of the ocean. Scott Rodgers was the biggest bully to me and Carly and we both despised him to the ends of the earth. He, of course, was accompanied by Steve Ryans and Matt Peters, his best friends, who were like his little followers.
   My drink came, and I told the waitress I was waiting for someone, and to come back in a little bit. I called Carly then, because usually she answers my texts right away. The call rang through once, but she didn’t answer. I left a voicemail, “hey its me. Just wondering where you’re at. Call me back when you get this. Scott is here and I really don’t want him to see me alone.” I hung up and took a sip of my Shirley Temple, keeping my profile on the down low so that neither Scott nor Dumb and Dumber saw me. I stared out the window, begging Carly to pull up any second now. Caught up in the sight of the quiet snow falling, I didn’t realize the boys noticed me. I heard some loud snickering all at once, realizing then that they were trying to get my attention. I ignored them and took out my phone, pretending to be busy on it. All of a sudden Carly called. “Thank god,” I thought, and picked up the phone. “Hello?” I said into the phone.
   “Hey! Its me, I need to talk to you.” Out of the corner of my eye I saw Scott approaching me. “I don’t think I can make it Bridget… Something big came up, and you’ll never guess what it is,” she said with excitement in her voice.
   “You won a million dollars?” I sarcastically responded.
   “No, even better. Someone asked me to dinner!” she squealed
   “Yeah, me!” I shot back, now a little upset. Knowing she would be happy for me, I calmed down and asked, “who is it?”
   She giggled and said, “That guy I told you that I have a crush on. You know, the one that goes to my work a lot? He got in my line today and asked me if I wanted to go out for dinner tonight. I can’t give away names yet, but if it goes good tonight I’ll let you know who it is.” I could just imagine her smiling on the other end of the phone. Thats when I realized Scott was towering over me. I knew I had to get out of here, and fast. I shot back to Carly, “okay well I really gotta get out of here then, I hope you got my voicemail. I’ll call you later. Bye.” I hung up really quick, stood up and grabbed my coat. Now Scott was pulling out a chair. “Where you goin’? I was just getting comfortable,” he said. I sighed and started to leave, when he grabbed my arm.
   “Get off of me right now,” I said frustrated, and yanked my arm back.
   “Hey don’t be feisty now, just trying to give you someone to talk to on this fine Valentines day. Where is Jeff on this fine day? Off with some girl?” He smirked. He and Jeff used to be best friends in grade school. They had a falling out one day when Scott and Jeff got caught sneaking around at night to go to parties. Jeff was tired of his tricks, and broke off their friendship. Just like the rest of our class, though, Scott knew that Jeff and I broke up.
   "Get lost,” I shot back at him. I could feel the tears in my throat. I hated those kind. I am one of the most emotional girls I know in my whole class. I started to walk away when Matt and Steve started toward us. Matt called out to Scott, “Hey there a party down on ninth street, wanna go?”
   “Yeah maybe I guess. You guys go, I’ll meet up with you.” Scott told them while he stared at me. The other two left the restaurant leaving me and Scott alone. Now was my chance to leave, but then as I turned around, Scott smiled that mischievous smile, “Hey, Bridget, why don’t you take a seat and stay awhile?”
   I stared at him, “and why would I do that?”
   “Because, I have something you might want to know.” My heart dropped and my mind went back to eighth grade. Ever since then, he always had a way of making me upset and finding out how to get my attention. I hesitated, and slowly walked back, as if I was looking out for any landmines that he’s planted, because I knew they were there. I sat down and asked him, “and whats that.” My gut told me it was something about Jeff that would hurt me even more, and I knew thats exactly what Scott wanted to do to me, break me down to the last ounce.
   “Did you hear what Jeffs been up to?” he smiled. I knew it. God, I knew it! And know I really had to know, so I slowly shook my head no. That made Scott really excited. He looked around the room, looked me in the eye, and whispered across the table, “I heard he’s been sleeping around with other girls.” My heart sank. Something told me this wasn’t true, but I was so vulnerable, and it was Valentines day. All I could think about was Jeff all day, and the idea of him with other girls was unbearable. The thought alone upset me, whether or not I believed it. I pulled out my phone and dialed Carly’s number, threw some money on the table for the waitress, and stood up. “I really don’t have time for your games tonight Scott,” I told him.
   I could feel the tears rushing down my face, and he saw. He started to laugh, “its just a joke Bridget, come on,” but I couldn’t take it anymore. I rushed out, not letting his calls to my name stop me. I got to my car and got in. I put the keys in the ignition and turned. It didn’t start. I tried again. It was a really old, crummy, broken down car my parents gave me for the time being, and didn’t want to start. Especially in the cold. I called Carly hoping she hadn’t left for her date yet, but she didn’t answer. I didn’t bother her because I knew she was getting ready. She always took so long to get ready. I called a cab instead and he was there within five minutes. Just as I got in the taxi, Scott ran out to his car. I gave the man Carly’s address. Something told me she was there getting ready, and I really needed her right now. He started to leave, and I noticed that Scott was following right behind us. I kept looking back at his car, trying to think of ways to get him lost.
   By now we are about five minutes away from Carly’s house, and I still haven’t thought of a way to get Scott to go away. I pull out my money and pay the taxi man. Its still snowing and I have no idea if Carly is even home. I get out and walk to her front door, knowing that Scott is just sitting in his car waiting for me to break down. Thats when I realize that Jeffs car is parked on the other side of the street. The first thing I think is could he be here for me because he knows I'm always at Carly’s, and where else would I be on this most depressing day? I ring the doorbell and Carly answers, almost surprised to see me. “Hey I called you, you didn’t answer, which is okay because I just figured you were getting…”
   “Whos there Carls?” Says a voice on the other side of the door. Carly’s face dropped. I recognize the voice clear as day. It was Jeff.
   "Bridget.” Carly replies. Jeff opens the door wider, “oh hey bridge!” My eyes start to water. He always called me that, when we were together. By now, all I wanted to do is scream and walk home, but Carly grabbed my arm and pulled me inside.
   “We need to talk right now,” she says, but that's honestly the last thing I want to do right now. So many questions entered my head. Why is he here? Why did she lie? Why isn’t he surprised to see me here? Why is she? How could she do this to me? We were best friends… “Look, I know it looks really bad right now,” she semi pleaded, “but just hear me out okay?”
   “You ditched me for my EX?!” I cried.
   “Well, um… kinda… but not exactly…” She mumbled.
   “Tell me what the heck is going on here,” I demanded. I could tell Jeff was listening to every word we said, “the love of my life is standing in your house, when you should be with me at our favorite restaurant.”
   “Bridget, please, calm down,” she begged. “Jeff and I are friends you know? And hes been really nice to me lately, and he just asked me if I wanted to watch a movie tonight a few days ago because he had no plans, and I was his last resort. I felt bad so I said yes. You know I’ve had a crush on him forever, and its been like two months since you’ve even seem to realize that you and Jeff broke up. You always acted like it didn't matter. But listen Bridget, I swear, nothing was happening.” Jeff walked in, “Bridget look, I know it looks bad but shes telling the truth, nothing…”
   “I dont want to hear it Jeff,” I snapped, “you broke my heart and now you're at my best friends house. I dont care if nothing was going on, my best friend ditched me for my ex, scott is following me probably soaking all of this up, and I’m sure one of these days you’ll even date behind my back.”
   “No bridget, I may be a jerk, but I would never date your best friend, and I know Carly would never do that to you. She was just trying to be there for me. Honestly… I’ve missed you a lot and Carly helps a lot… ” Jeff said
   “Woah, wait, stop. Scott is following you?” Carly said in surprise.
   “Yeah, didnt you hear my voicemail? He's been harassing me all night. And as for you Jeff, I really can’t take that tonight.” I said with raging anger in my voice, “I just wish you two were honest with me. I need to go, today has been way too much for me. I’ll see you guys later. Enjoy your movie.” I ran out of the house and slammed the door behind me, which felt really good to let out. Neither of them ran after me, thank god. I didn’t want either of them to see me bawling the way I was. And then I realized that Scott was. He was standing at the end of Carly’s driveway, and he looked like a lost puppy. I couldn’t keep the tears in anymore, I didn’t care if he saw me anymore. I walked right down the driveway and onto the sidewalk. Scott touched my arm as I passed and said, “let me give you a ride. I heard it all, you don’t need to talk.” I stopped and stared at him. I did live a decent ways-away, and it was snowing and freezing. I nodded my head and followed him to his car. He opened the door for me, which took me off guard, and let me step in, closing it behind me with a bang, which he then bowed down to the window and mouthed a sorry with an expression that looked like he was embarrassed. He ran to the other side of the car, got in, and turned the ignition. I stared at him as he started to drive away. I didn’t know what to say or do, but I guess he did, because about five mins later he said, “I don’t know where you live.”
   “Fifth street, two houses down from the park,” I said quietly. He nodded his head and then said, “hey I’m really sorry for what I said at the restaurant. And I’m sorry about what happened today with all that.” I stayed quiet. He continued, “I’m sorry for everything I’ve ever done to you. I’m sure you don't want to hear it right now, but now that I have you alone I really just wanted to say it. I know this is really awkward, you don't need to forgive me, I just wanted to…”
   “Its okay Scott. I forgive you,” I said with a sigh. I didn't know whether or not I should believe him, but in the moment I really didn't care for the day anymore.
   Scott was quiet, and then said, “thanks. I really am sorry.”
I listened to his tone of voice, and I could tell that he actually meant it. I almost asked him if he wanted to come over and watch a movie and eat ice cream with me, but that would be weird I thought, so I didn't. Instead I stared out the window wishing we could get home sooner, he was a bumpy driver. Suddenly, his voice got kinda loud and he asked me, “are you doing anything tonight? I'm sure you don't want to do anything, which is fine, but there's that party on ninth, and if you want to go I’d take you.” Scott was just full of surprises today. I looked at him and looked back out the window. He was acting really, really nice considering the past. Maybe he isn't too bad after all, I thought.
   I took a deep breath, “not really in the mood for a party, but we could always watch a movie and eat ice cream at my place if you want.” I was so surprised in myself that my heart skipped a beat. I looked at him, and he was smiling, but not the cruel one he always smiled. No, this one was more… soft, and sweet. He said, “depends. What ice cream? What movie?”
   “Cookie dough and The Avengers of course,” I kind of laughed back.
   “I’m in,” he smiled back, “by the way… I’d call a tow for your car.” And that was the start of my new beginning, without Jeff. This time, I was able to actually move on, without any regrets or feelings of missing someone that pretends to miss me back. A few weeks after that night, things were worked out, but when I talked to Jeff, not once did I miss him. But it was that night that I started over. With cookie dough ice cream, a towed car, and forgotten pasts on a sappy and pink Valentines day.

Something I wrote for my creative writing class