Chapter1-3 : Mystic Ego | Teen Ink

Chapter1-3 : Mystic Ego

November 13, 2014
By Anonymous

Chapter One

 

Today was almost like any other day, pouring down rain. The weather has been changing rapidly recently and no one knows what to think of it. I live in Fargo City, one of the city's in, ArmStrong County Pennsylvania.  It's like any other city you might come across traveling. Trees, grass, schools, people, houses, and crime.
I moved here after my mothers vanishment. I was only ten at the time of her disappearance. We never really figured out why she went, but I think my dad suspects it's because of something he did and it was his fault. Ever since that day he's been very distant and thoughtful. I don't really blame him, it was wrong of her to run off like that and leave us in a muddle. We lived in L.A at the time and in a house in the middle of some expensive town. My dad had no way to pay the bills so we moved down to Fargo City.
I think he likes it here, it's nice and quiet and everything's always the same. My dad doesn't like change and never has ever since that day. He used to be outgoing and funny and always the outdoors type of person. But now he spends all his time inside and never shows his face in public.

Slipping out of bed I make my way into the kitchen flipping on the light switch as I do. I blink as the light comes on. Looking at the clock I know it's far past midnight. My slippers Joe and Bob, as me and my best friend Chelsea call them, barely made a noise as I walked.
      Chelsea is the first person I met and talked too when I moved to Fargo City. She had pink mini skirt and a top that was so small it showed her belly button. I thought she was very slutty at first until she told me how none of her clothing was washed because of her mothers lice problems. She had to wear her little sisters clothing for a few days till everything was washed. But the next day I brought her some of my clothes and ever since we've been great friends.
I've lived in this town for over six years now, I had been in fourth grade when I moved and now I was in my second year of high school. Hours later I driving to school with no intention whatsoever as to what was going to happen.
" OMG Kate! You won't believe what Mrs. Perry said! " Chelsea was back to her old self, even with the three week long winter break. I turned and grinned as she threw herself in my arms. When she pulled back she was grinning so widely I could see every tooth in her mouth.
  " So, like I said you won't believe this..." She trailed off into a series of boyfriend girlfriend gossip and everything you could possibly want to know about the latest football scores and what the courter back was going to do next. I just nodded and made accessional comments like "wow" and, "that's crazy".
Chelsea's hair was completely black and she straightened it a lot but it was naturally wavy, and her eyes are so grey it's almost startling. Today she wore jeans and a dark blue sparkling denim tank top and black high heel boots. Chelsea had always been one with an eye for fashion and the latest styles and I always liked that about her. She was very unique and so...Chelsea.
" ... and then he threw a party at his grandparents mansion, but the weirdest thing happened. Jane, his new girlfriend's car blew up! The police had to come and everything it was crazy! ". Chelsea's hands moved quickly as she talked almost like she was talking in two different languages, but there was only one I could understand.
Finally we reached first period and we waved good bye and parted ways.
The whole room was flooding with students and everyone was either deep in discussion with one of there friends or hurrying to their desk. I took my seat in the second row next to some kid with his noes in a book.
I spotted Kelly, Fauna, and Jane as soon as they walked in. It wasn't that they were popular and pretty like in the movies, it was just that they were always surrounded my people and always talking. They didn't wear anything especially outstanding, but somehow they were always the ones everyone talked about.
" Everyone take your seats! This isn't a zoo it's school. " The students all laughed and stopped there chattering as they sat down. Kelly and Jane had been deep in conversation and they glared at Mr. Zinder like he was something that threatened them. But he didn't seem to notice.
" First I would like to welcome everyone back and wish you all the best on this pop quiz that you will be taking in a minute. " Everyone groaned and I heard some heads banging on desks. Mr. Zinder laughed lightly and passed out a few stacks of papers. Since he usually taught math I wasn't looking forward to this quiz. I'm an average level  student and no more. My grade is usually a C or B and hardly ever an A.
I unzipped my pencil back and sighed when a quiz sheet landed heavily on my desk. The room went into the silence only a quiz can bring. My pencil hit the paper and wrote my answer for the first problem and kept doing just that till the last problem. Then it was over.
I lay my head against my desk as the teacher retrieved the papers. But my relief didn't last long because just as I was relaxing in my seat my whole body jerked and I was thrown down against the classroom floor, hard. I gasped at the impact, and again when something sharp stabbed into my spine. I shut my eyes tight and clenched my teeth, the pain was like poison in my body.
But just as fast as it began it stopped. I opened my eyes and was shocked to see that it was like nothing had ever happened. No one was looking at me like I was crazy, no one showed any sign that anything was out of the ordinary.

 


Chapter Two

 


There was a knock on the classroom door before I could think any of this through, before I could put the pieces of the puzzle together. The teacher opened the door and I heard someone say something in the other side something like, " I'need a shoe " or " I have the flew ". I wasn't sure which one. The weirdest thing was that my back didn't feel anything but normal. I was still puzzling over this when something heavy landed close beside me. I jumped and let out a startled yelp. I first noticed the classroom was dead silent, secondly there was someone I didn't recognize sitting in the seat not beside me but the one beside that.
He was obviously confident about his appearance and new how to make himself at home. He put his pencil case and study books in his desk and then placing his elbows on his desk he grinned at everyone in the classroom. I sighed, this was just what I needed at the moment, a new jockey jerk.
This wasn't like in the movies, it was real and happened every few months. We had a new student join are high school almost constantly. We had a population of almost two thousand and fifty students in are school. Braider High School is the largest in the Pennsylvania area and in Ford City.
I turned my attention toward Mr. Zinder as he went back into the lesson he was teaching. But every other minute I would catch myself drifting off and at one point I almost thought I heard a voice whispering in my ear. I took my pencil and tapped it lightly against my knee trying to keep my attention on the teacher.

I heard a low laugh from beside me and looked in the direction of the sound. The jockey jerk was smirking at me. His lip curled up over his teeth almost like a snarl. My eyes widened as I took in his facial features. I hadn't really paid much attention to him at first glance so I was shocked. His eyes were so unsettling that I looked away almost instantly. But not before his eyes seared a picture in my mind.
" What's wrong? Scared? " I gasped and Joe the book worm looked up from his text book and muttered some,thing under his breath. Probably something like, she's crazy. I was starting to believe him and that couldn't be good. The voice almost seemed like it came from my mind, like someone was whispering and no one could here but me. I heard his low laugh again and this time I made careful note as to not look into his eyes. I turned toward him and looked just above his eyes. I caught him smirking and my gaze slipped down. I choked as I was thrown to the floor, my body slammed against the hard tile again and again. My whole body felt as though it was stung a million times and then hit with an iron baseball bat.
I blinked and I was back in the classroom. The bell must have rang because everyone was heading out the door in swarms. I grabbed my text books and my pencil case, and was just about to head out the door, but then I froze. He was right behind me, I new it. His somehow ice cold and burning hot presence seemed to strangle me from behind.
I didn't know what to do so I just stood there frozen, until he touched my neck. That was all it took for me to take off. I raced out of the door grabbing my backpack as I went. My feet pounded against the hallway floor causing several heads to turn. Panting and out of breath I collapsed on the bench me and Chelsea usually meet for lunch breaks. My breathing came out normally within the next five minutes, enough time for Chelsea to grab her lunch and walk through the hall to the bench.                      " Your always late! " I grumbled just so she'd think I actually cared she took so long. Truthfully I was thankful she had taken so long, so she wouldn't question my panting. Chelsea flicked her hair to the side and smiled devilishly, " Well I'm sorry but we got a new girl in our class and she's very nice. Her name is Delilah Rose, isn't that pretty? " I nodded and took a bite of my sandwich hungrily.
" We got a new boy in are class, and he's a class A jockey jerk. We both groaned and laughed. I didn't tell her anything about the voice or the strange violence that nobody seemed to notice. The rest of the school day went by slowly, me trying to avoid the jockey jerk as much as possible and session after session of school classes. Finally I made it to my car and jumped in thankfully. I fiddled with the keychain for a moment until I founds he right key then I started to turn it, when a hand grabbed my wrist.
I started to scream but then another hand was covering my mouth. I was jerked back into my seat and staring into the eyes of the predator. " Don't think you can run away, I'm always watching. " His hands left me and I was sitting just as I was before staring at the key.

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter Three


As soon as u got home I went straight into my room and wrote down everything that happened that day in my journal. I was a journalist and absolutely loved it. Every detail of your life seemed to make more sense when you wrote it down. I needed journal time every day do I made it my first priority ad soon as I got home.
I went over Chelsea's gossip and the class sessions. Then I stopped, I new I had forgotten someone very important. So important that it simply...vanished from my mind. I put my pen down and scrunched up my face in concentration. I could've sworn I heard soft laughter in the background of my thoughts. Then as if tormenting me the voice whispered just low enough for me not to hear a word it spoke. In frustration I threw down my journal and growled.
After awhile I gave up to frustrated and annoyed to think straight without hearing laughter and whispers. So I  stomped down the stairs and went into the kitchen.
My father was searching the cabinets and muttering under his breath. My forty was a forty year old man and in great shape for his age. Short brown hair over his face which was plain but handsome in its own unique way. He was a lot like me, brown hair, plainer features, and carmel colored eyes.
" Hi. " I said taking a seat on one of the kitchen stools. My father, John, looked over his shoulder and smiled warmly at me. " Hello sweets, how was school? ". I tried to ignore the sudden pain in my forehead when I thought of that day at school. I new something had happened...maybe even dangerous and you'd think I would remember something like that. But I couldn't.
" Good. Normal like everyday nothing exciting. "But I new it was a lie but I didn't have a clue why.
My father  just smiled and turned back to the cabinets.
" Well that's good. No drama no karma ". He chuckled at his old joke. " Yeah, well it gets old sometimes. So boring and same stuff everyday.  It would be nice to have some fun every once and awhile. " I complained, pouring some apple juice in a cup.
My father sighed and put his arms on my shoulders and began his usual high school talk. " I used to be your age once, for a year actually. " he pauses and chuckles, " And I felt that same want for drama and need for excitement...and god look where that got me! " he gestured wildly around him. I turn and hug him and I couldn't help but notice he was getting frail and...older.    " Dad, your life is wonderful and blessed. I love you and everyone else who meets you loves you how could you even think for a moment that your life..." He interrupts me in a rush.
" No, no, no. That's not what I meant at all sweet heart! I love you and everyone else very very much, and I will forever. What I meant was it led me to a life full of chaos and drama. Everyday and every night all through the first two years of college, it was constant girl drama and I hated it. So I hope you won't make the same mistake I did. "
I hugged him even tighter and whispered, " I won't, I promise. I love you. " I could feel his smile and heard him sigh as if in relief. " I love you to, sweets. "


After dinner I was forced to go upstairs and complete my homework and clean up and do my chores. I grabbed my pencil and began to jot down notes from math class and science class. I was just beginning the second line into  my science report when I heard a soft knock on my window, or so I thought.
I frowned, that was strange, it wasn't even possible to get to my window form the backyard. My father had put up a big wire fence around the whole yard at least ten feet tall. I think ever since mom and her absence he felt as though he should make it so that it never happened again. I think he's afraid that whatever came for mother, would entisols come and take me away too.
I walked toward the window and the floor squeaked beneath me and I winced. The floor boards were as old as my dad and getting older by the day. Some times I had dreams of falling through the floor, and finding little goblins and other folk tale creatures.
Just as my fingers closed around the golden handle I lost my balance and fell to the ground, hitting it hard. My throat felt as if it was sown shut and almost about to be glued so that no space was left for air. Hands seemed to push down on me from all directions and I wanted to scream for help but the air was sucked out of my lungs. Then just as soon as it started it stopped.
He stood ten feet away and instantly I recognized him. I stumbled and almost fell, but something caught me. It seemed like a split second yet also a year. He was standing ten feet away and then close enough to touch me...
I looked up startled. His eyes were a blue silver I never thought existed and I new they must be contacts. His face was shaped like a oval and pale but burning hot. His hair was dark brown and cut short and at an angle. Although his completion would lead you to think he was a goth his clothing and attitude suggested otherwise.
" You tripped. " he said, stating the obvious. I pushed my way out of his arms and backed away so I stood at least a good five feet away. " I stumbled, and there was no need to do that. " I grumbled. But he only grinned took a step forward. " Well you were clearly going to fall, and besides I was being a gentleman. Is that not what any fine lady wants? " he lasted innocently.
I crossed my arms feeling suddenly very annoyed and confused. " Look, I don't know who you are and what...this is! ", I said gesturing wildly around me. Dead trees seemed to reach out everywhere around me and the ground was crumbling by the second. "But I'm not enjoying this, whatever it is. " He looked puzzled by my reaction and turned his head so that he wasn't facing me any longer.
" Fine. I'll make this short and quick, " he paused as if waiting for me to protest but I stayed silent. " I have to ask a few questions and you must answer yes, or no. " His voice was calm and steady hiding all emotion.
" Why? Who gives you the right to ask questions? " I asked impatiently. He cocked his head to the side as if confused and slightly irritated. " Does it matter? Don't you want to answer my questions? ".
I growled under my breath and took a step forward. "Why now In the world would I want to answer your stupid questions? And must you answer my questions with questions?! ". My voice rose as I spoke. " What is your name? What is your favorite color? How old are you? Are you a model? What is your favorite music? Blah blah blah. " I mocked him and all the other fans and interviewers out there in the world. I hated interviewers, they were so annoying. Always asking questions and blurting out whatever they were supposed to ask.
I was starting to wonder who this guy thought he was, I mean he obviously thought he was the king of the universe. He smirked and stepped forward, his eyes sparkling and looking very much like silver stars. Then all went black as I fell into his arms...


The author's comments:

Hi, I'm back! This is a story I will keep going and I would love to hear what you guys think. I opologize for any misspelled words or wrong words. Thank you for taking the time to read this! ;)