Elf Heart | Teen Ink

Elf Heart

October 17, 2014
By Embereye16 BRONZE, Weiser, Idaho
Embereye16 BRONZE, Weiser, Idaho
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin


Hello, my name is Cassandra d'Angelieght and I am a sorceress. I watched my parents get slaughtered by elves, who then took the rest of my village as slaves. I alone, they did not find, for my mother hid me under the floorboards of our pig sty. It was after my mother's blood soaked through the floor and drowned the hem of my skirt that my powers broke free of the ridged hold I placed upon them at the age of thirteen, I'm seventeen now.
My betrothed was one of the people who planned the attack, but he is the only one who will be murdered in cold blood, the rest shall have my wrath turned upon them. I will throw everything I have in my five foot seven inch, magical body at them.


My journey began when I went to see if my sister, already married and with child, to see if their village had any survivors.


What I saw would haunt me the rest of my life. I saw the elves hauling my sister out of her husband’s house with an infant in her arms, saw her fall and struggle to get up but instead was dragged over to the rest of the amused elves, who in turn raised their katars in salute.


I don’t know if I made a sound, but one tall, dark, handsome elf turned to look at the foliage I had chosen to hide behind. He turned back to the group to tell them, ” I’ll be right back,” and with that, he started over my direction.


I was scared. Inexperience in magick and in life. I didn’t know how to deal with this type of situation, and I was sure I was going to get captured.


It was then that I realized what I had to do. And that was to let them capture me, and at that moment, the elf that had started walking towards me came around the overgrown bramble bush and stared right at me.
He looked back at his friends, then at me, then his friends, and finally settled on me. Then putting a finger to his lips, motioned for me to come with him further into the forest.


I got up from my knees and looked down at my bloodstained dress, correction, my mother’s dress, whose blood stained the light green material, and cautiosly followed the enemy deeper into the thickly forested hills behind the village.


As soon as we were out of earshot of the other elves, I told the elf, who lead me to the meadow I used to play in when I was a little girl, “Stop. What do you want? What’s your name? Why are you doing this to us? It’s not fair, we never broke any of the treaties with you and yours!”


I saw his shoulders shaking and realized he was laughing, and I remembered a time when all was well for both our races, elves wandering around in the market square, stopping frequently at the booth my little brother and I ran to look at the cloth my mother and sister wove. Suddenly, I realized that I had seen him before, many times when I was a young teen and had been sent out collecting sticks to start our fires.


His voice dragged me out of my memories, ”My name you wouldn’t be able to pronounce with your mortal tongue, however you may call me Jonathan. What I want is simple. I want you.”


Startled, I took a small step back preparing to dash away from the elf that had lead me through the trees.
“I-I don’t even know who you are!” I was making such a fool of myself, but I didn’t care at that moment, “Why do you want me? My older sister is a much better choice than me.”


“Ah, but I don’t want Miah. She’s already married, you’re not,” Jonathan pointed out.
“I’m an inexperienced, hormonal, betrothed, teenage girl. Definitely not your type.”
“How do you know wha-” the snapping of a twig not twenty feet away cut him off, then pointing to a low branch, whispered, “ Climb up, and stay there until I come back to get you.”


“How do I know you’ll come back alone?” I was sceptical. But, didn’t I have every right to be?
He smirked at me, one that made me feel 1) scared, 2)adultish, and 3) very, very, very shy, “You’ll know.”
I started climbing the tree with as much speed as I could. Before I knew it, I was barely concealed by a thin layer of leaves, which I promptly peered through.


At first I saw nothing, except Jonathan schlepping over to the biggest tree in the clearing, of which I had a clear view. Then the wind started picking up, going from a playful breeze, to something dark and dangerous. A mist then was commenced to begin to swirl around and around, until finally everything was silent and a man stood in the midst of still swirling leaves.


I looked still harder, and realized who it was.
It was my betrothed, Kade von Strauss.


The human counterpart to the string of attacks on the outskirts of the forest.