That Best Friend For Life | Teen Ink

That Best Friend For Life

October 23, 2014
By Amani3D PLATINUM, New Castle, Delaware
Amani3D PLATINUM, New Castle, Delaware
23 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.


Humans are weird. Just how we act. Like we pick another human and say, ” I like this person” and we call them friends. Then we date people because we are physically and emotionally attracted to them and throughout that period of dating we decide if we want to spend the rest of our lives with them. And we date people over and over again until we find that special person. We all know it’s going to happen but we are so scared to tell people we like them because of how evil humans can be. Deep down we are all the same but some people are just so cruel for no reason. Like why? You don’t see animals doing anything like that.  See that’s how it started. We wanted that one person that we can get along with, without any problems. That “best friend for life” that everyone is supposed to get in elementary school. That’s what Nancy wanted.

That Best Friend For Life

Nancy was always smart for her age, she was a beautiful girl with a personality to match. Nancy had long flowing black hair that was as soft as your favorite beanie baby, but she always kept it in a bun; so no one would know how long her hair actually was. She had piercing dark eyes that could make anyone want to spill their deepest darkest secret but no one would. They were hidden behind glasses and bangs. Nancy had smooth caramel skin but she stressed herself so much her face was caked in zits and blackheads. Nancy had full lips but they were stuck in a permanent frown. She had what you call natural beauty but because she didn't see it no one else did. But Nancy’s beauty was nothing compared to her intelligence, she was the brightest young girl anyone had seen, in fact at 8 she knew exactly what she wanted in life. It wasn't a silly thing like “being a princess” but more like an epiphany about life. Nancy wanted to be a lawyer. Ever since Nancy was 8 she worked at being a lawyer. She watched crime shows and Judge Judy. But because of how smart she was and how she continued to increase her knowledge she never got to really be a kid. She spent all her time indoors. She never got that best friend she always wanted and Nancy became sad. Sad that she couldn't have that best friend like in the movies. Sad that no one would be able to sleep over her house, not that they couldn't but because she had no one to ask. Kids thought she was weird because she knew big words and it got to her. At 13 she said, “You know Mom, maybe I don’t want to be a lawyer”. She walked to her room without waiting for an answer.

After that Nancy’s parents saw less of their bright daughter. They saw the shadow of her. The Nancy that grew attached to her computer and video games and music. She lost her knowledge of all the big words she once knew. She grew socially awkward, not knowing how to talk to people her age. And now Nancy had no friends because she couldn't socialize not because they didn't like her. I mean who knows the name of the girl with her mind full of lyrics and ears full of music. The girl whose nose was always in a book and you’d think that because her nose was always in a book she was smart, and she was smart but with her head full of lyrics, her ears full of music and her nose always in a book Nancy didn't do her work. Her grades dropped and so did her attitude. Nancy no longer cared about her “best friend for life” dream and all her attention went to the electronics. She had anxiety attacks when her phone dropped to the ground like a rock trying to fly because she was afraid “The screen might crack!!!!” and she screamed and ran off when her laptop hit 10%. Family and friends would say “Oh she’s so tech savvy” and they’d just nod. But they knew the truth. Her dream was crushed. Her wants and needs, washed away in sorrow because she was more advanced than the other kids. Her compassion and empathy flew away in the wind as her mind was brainwashed by video games and Tumblr.

One day as Nancy was reading ‘The Living’ by Matt De La Pena, as the teacher announced there was a new student named Lance. When Nancy looked up Lance had to be the cutest boy she had ever seen. But she quickly looked down at her book because she knew she was too weird for anything to happen. (Now Nancy was very beautiful she just didn't see it.) Lance caught Nancy looking at him and smiled, then he noticed she was reading his favorite book of all time and he had to go talk to her. His palms were getting sweaty as he thought of what to say to her. How could he talk to a girl so gorgeous? Lance approached Nancy with a dry throat and before he could get the courage to say anything
     Nancy looked up and blushed and sheepishly said, “hi.”
    
     Lance smiled and with a monotone voice said “That’s my favorite book you’re reading.”
    
     Nancy looked at the cover forgetting what book she was actually reading and said so quietly “Oh yeah, it’s a good book.”
    
Lance looked around wondering as to what to say next. He thought maybe if he talked about the book more that would be fine so he asked Nancy what chapter she was on,
     She replied again with a quiet voice “Chapter 3.” Lance didn't know what else to say so he asked Nancy to tell him about herself. As the conversation went on Nancy and Lance found out that they had a lot in common and Nancy was no longer answering sheepishly but with a lot of courage, Lance no longer unsure of what to say because he felt he could talk about anything with this girl.
     “So you like Doctor Who, Supernatural, and Sherlock?!?” Lance asked with such astonishment, he couldn't believe a girl like Nancy could be so perfect for him.
     Well duh that’s what SuperWhoLock is isn't it?” Nancy asked in a mocking way. As Lance thought about it they both laughed and headed off to lunch. While in line Nancy and Lance began to talk more about their favorite books.
     “Oh!! So you like Percy Jackson too?!?” Nancy exclaimed as she grabbed Lance by the arm.
     Nodding and laughing Lance choked out “Yes so did you read the most recent one ‘House of Hades’?”
     Nancy looked like she had just seen a ghost and whispered almost silently to Lance “Of course I read it. How could Rick Riordan do such a thing to Percy an--”
      “And Annabeth?!? I know right!!! I was so mad” Lance exclaimed.
As the day went on Lance and Nancy were like Siamese twins. They had all their classes together so that was even better. When the day ended they exchanged numbers and didn't stop texting till they went to sleep.

Nancy’s parents noticed a pep in their newly happy daughter’s step. She told them she had a wonderful day as soon as she got in the car before her parents got a chance to ask.
     Nancy went from “I had an OK day” to “My day was wonderful!!”, from going straight to her room when she got home to sticking around to watch TV. Nancy even ate dinner with her parents. She didn't freak out when her laptop died. She simply sat it on the floor and watched TV. Her parents were astonished by the change in their daughter. They had no idea what had gotten into her but they were determined to find out.

Their daughter went to school a cocoon and came back a beautiful butterfly and they want to know what made her hatch. What drew her out of shell and how because they haven’t been able to do it for years despite their efforts. Nancy’s parents tried to question her without making her upset but it was no use. She was a safe locked with a never ending code of giggles. Her parents figured it had to be a boy and they were right. They figured she had finally got her “best friend for life” that she had wished and hoped for despite the fact that she gave up. But what her parents were completely mistaken about him.
This boy would be their daughters downfall and they wouldn't like it one bit.
As Nancy and Lance’s relationship grew, Nancy felt as though she was falling in love with Lance but what she didn't realize was she falling into obsession instead. Nancy was so desperate for that “best friend for life” that when she got one friend she didn't know how to behave. She demanded all of Lance’s attention, wanting to be with him every second. Lance loved it at first, the feeling of someone wanting him as much as he wanted them but it got to be too much.
     “Aww Lance! Do you have to go? I don’t want you to leave!” Nancy whined as Lance got up to leave.
     “Nancy you are so cute but I really have to go.” Lance whispered as Nancy hugged him tightly.
Another girl caught his eye and that was a big mistake. Nancy’s step changed, her smile back to a permanent straight face. The life cycle of the butterfly had ended and it was reincarnated into a caterpillar going into it’s cocoon.

Nancy kept telling herself that she was in love with Lance and Lance kept telling himself that Nancy was obsessed with him. Lance was right but Nancy couldn't see it. Fearful that Nancy would get extremely upset he didn't stop talking to her but simply distanced himself. He started talking to other kids, hanging out with other girls. Nancy grew jealous but kept it to herself afraid that Lance would find it creepy that she cared so much. As Lance distanced himself away Nancy distanced herself but she watched Lance from afar making sure he didn't make a move on any other girls because he was her “best friend for life” and her lover and if someone came in between Nancy and her dreams then there would be a problem.

Lance noticed Nancy around places and watching him but he decided to pay no mind to it. Lance was out with the basketball team after a well deserved victory on Concords own turf, They decided they should celebrate so they headed out to Old Country buffet with the coach. After stuffing their faces, everyone agreed it was time for ice cream. As the team got up to head over to the ice cream machine Lance noticed Nancy cautiously watching from a nearby booth. He looked away so that Nancy wouldn't notice that he had noticed her. Maybe if he ignored her she would go away. Except Nancy was the exact opposite, she knew when Lance ignored her and it infuriated her. One day after school Nancy followed Lance to Wendy’s and sat a booth as he sat at a table by himself unaware Nancy was watching. When Nancy decided she would go sit with Lance a girl who was in line got her food and sat across from Lance instead. Nancy tried leaning forward to hear the conversation but all she got was a better look at the girl. The same girl Lance had been hanging out with at school was now eating Wendy’s with him, her man, her Lance. Nancy so upset at what she was seeing stormed out of the Wendy’s and went home. Nancy slammed the front door of her house behind her and stomped up the stairs all the way to her room where she shut the door so hard it shook the house.

     While in her room Nancy mumbled mean and horrible things. “She thinks she all great with her flowing blonde hair and her stupid green eyes,” Nancy grumbled as she looked in the mirror at her matching black hair and eyes.

Nancy looked in her yearbook to figure out who the girl was. Her name was Beth Walker and she and Nancy have gone to school with each other since kindergarten. Beth was the leader of bullies that tortured Nancy for being so smart. Beth had gotten nicer but that wasn't the point.
Beth Walker had to be stopped.
This must have been her plan all along, to let Nancy fall for the guy and swoop in and take him before he could fall for her. But Nancy had it all wrong; Lance had fallen for her but when she got a bit crazy he had to step back. Nancy was deranged and determined to put a stop to this love affair between Lance and Beth. Nancy didn't want to resort to this but there was only one way to get Beth out of the picture and she would do it all for her beloved Lance.

 

 

 

 

     “I can’t believe he even told me about meeting her! Like I’m just supposed to be OK with it?!?”, Nancy   as she paced her room.
Nancy decided she would end it once and for all.

The next day at school she asked Beth if she wanted to hang out after school at the park and although puzzled at first Beth agreed. So after school Nancy and Beth walked to the park and Nancy led Beth to her favorite reading spot where that morning Nancy had hidden a bat. Nancy ushered Beth to sit down and although she was extremely confused she sat and as soon as she sat down Nancy swung the baseball bat and landed a hit right on the back of Beth’s head. And like that Beth was out cold. Nancy then quickly called in her “favor”. A guy in a white van pulled up and helped Nancy put Beth’s body in the back. Nancy directed the guy as to which street to turn on all the way to an abandoned warehouse that was rumored to be haunted but Nancy didn't care. All she cared about was getting rid of Beth so she and Lance could live happily ever after. The guy from the van carried Beth’s almost lifeless body into the warehouse and left.

When Beth woke up; she realized that she was  tied to a pole in what looked like a basement. Beth tried to scream but her mouth was gagged. Just as Beth was looking around for a way to escape Nancy walked in front of her with a pair of pliers. Beth was so frightened that she passed out and when she woke up the same cold rusty pliers that Nancy was holding were now around her dainty fingers and before she could protest her finger was tore off of her hand. Beth screamed as each of her fingers were torn off leaving only her thumbs. When she looked up at Nancy to reason with her and ask her why but Nancy simply whispered this.
   
     “This is for stealing Lance from me”
And with that she hit Nancy in the forehead with the baseball bat and her head smacked the pole behind her and she was out for good. As her body slumped lifelessly, Nancy looked at the incoming call from Lance and answered saying,
     “I did this all for you babe” and hung up the phone. Leaving Lance wondering what just happened.

*Police Sirens* “Hello I am Michelle Dobbs with Fox news here at the scene of the crime where young and innocent Beth walker was found dead and tied to a pole. Police are still investigating what exactly went down here but theory is that it was a kidnapping gone wrong. Police have found tire tracks to what seem like a van and are now searching for a match. We will update you with further information, Good night.”
Nancy turns off the Tv in her room as she laughs maniacally to her self.
     “A kidnapping gone wrong?!? Ha!!!! Little do they know.”
     “Nancy what are you talking about?” Her mom yells from the downstairs kitchen.
     “Oh nothing just watching Family Guy” Nancy mumbled knowing her mother would never know of the horrible crime she had committed just hours before she got home.


The author's comments:

This is the first short story that I have ever finished so I am very proud of it. Please give me your feedback.