The Tragedy of Liza and Zane | Teen Ink

The Tragedy of Liza and Zane

By Skylar.jade BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
Skylar.jade BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas

Liza:

I was known as a freak, or that’s what the town called me. I wasn’t your average heart-throb no good teenager I didn’t party every night, get drunk and end up on some random guys front lawn. I kept to myself in a little shack on the outskirts of town. I did my school work skipping only a few days every now and then to hike or climb. But this year I had a feeling it wasn’t going to be the same. And I knew my life was about to turn upside down.

Sitting in American History the back row far right corner half listening to the same speech that Mr. Lawson gives every year before class I see a boy out the window staring at me. He is tall strong built with a slight tan, he bores those dark blue eyes like daggers thinking of a million different ways to kill me in that one moment. I shudder at the thought of him anywhere near me, As I gather my stuff to head to the door. When I look back to see if the boy is still there I see a note by the window with my name on it:

My Dearest Liza,
I am glad I have finally found you. I have known of you and your family all of my life. You may know nothing about me since your father left you and your mother’s tragic death, but I can assure you we will be great friends. Meet me in the woods were your mother was buried. I would love to chat.
     Yours truly,
       Zane

As I contemplate whether or not I should meet this boy I look out into the skirts of the woods and see a dazzling white smile. I see an expression come across his face of maybe hurt, but it is wiped away just as quick as it came and with a wink he disappears into the woods like a mad man.

Zane:
     The only thing I can think about is her, the one I’m supposed to kill, the one im supposed to love, and I’m brought back to reality when I remember the thought of me becoming a cold hearted blood sucking killer, then I hate her for being so innocent and willing to come. She makes my quest ten times easier but I know I cannot kill her, at least not yet. I need to get to know this girl, she needs to trust me with her life. With that I give her a wink and hope she doesn’t meet me tonight.

Liza:
     There was something I was certain about, it was ten o’clock at night and I was standing alone. On the outskirts of the woods where Zane was once before. I knew when I got home from school I should have looked him up. I should have checked to see if anyone knew him. How in the world did he know about my mother’s death, or my father’s sudden disappearance that? I felt heart broken and angry! But I didn’t do anything. I decided to come up here like a stupid 17 year old and talk to someone that might or might not have been stalking me my whole life. This was just great! Right before I decided to leave, I saw the outline of my mother’s grave. Those sweet and innocent words, “Will be forever loved and cherished” tugged at my heart. As I turned, I came face to face with Zane. He looked exhausted like he had just ran a marathon. He just stared for a few moments taking me in like I was a treasured prize and he had just won.

Zane:
     She came. That stupid girl came and now I was going to have to finish this once and for all, but I can’t. Why is this so hard for me to do? She means nothing. She has nothing, and no one will miss her, but I know that’s not true, I will miss her and with that I push her across the forest hearing her scream in surprise and pain, “ZANE!!!!” Without any thought I leap across the forest and put my face inches from the delicious smell of her blood against her face.

Liza:

I was frightened, more than frightened. I yelled for help but I couldn’t hear my voice. I knew I was going to die. “Zane please!” I cried.

“I will never be the same with you alive!” he screamed, “You have to die tonight.”

I couldn’t move I could barely breathe. I felt sharp pains in my head and blood pouring out of me. I saw razor sharp teeth and coal black eyes staring back at me. I knew something had changed in Zane.

“My dearest Lisa, you made me this way. You see your great- grandmother, saying on my eighteenth birthday I would become a monster unless I find the “one”, that’s you my dear and kill her.” I looked up at Zane dazed and on the brink of exhausted, unable to think clearly or process anything. I was hurting and unable to breathe, I wanted to die I was ready for death. “

So kill me then.” Zane looked back at me with utter confusion and defeat on his face. As he turned to walk away, he said, “Liza watch for me because I will be back for you some day.” With that Zane is gone and, leaving me close to my death.

10 years later..

I see him from time to time, always with that same dazzling white smile and that pained look. He hasn’t changed and I know he never will, he always seems to find me but never says a word. Now that I have a little boy around he doesn’t seem to come around as much, or doesn’t let me know he’s there. I feel as though Zane will always be there and when the time comes I will leave this world just like he promise me I would ten short years ago.