Requiem for a Hoodie: Part 1 | Teen Ink

Requiem for a Hoodie: Part 1

August 29, 2014
By lilcal19 BRONZE, Portland, Maine
lilcal19 BRONZE, Portland, Maine
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your generations on medication, blinded by inebriation, wallowing in procrastination, frankly bored of education, live in fear of foreign nations, nuclear annihilation, searching for a explanation while I have the realization that it's all my fault"


Max was the president of the Chess Club in Worcester, where he attended high school. He was the sole reason his team made it to the state champions every coming and going year. He was a boy who never fit too comfortably  in anyone’s eyes. He saw things he chose to see inside a world of fantasy . He was a nihilist who only expected the worst out of people, perhaps because he was always viewing the glass as half empty.

On the way home from school, Max’s bus became entrenched in a snowbank, unable to emanate from the white powder. All the students were required to remove themselves from the bus and find their own way home. Max didn’t mind at first. He was wearing his favorite black hoodie, it was simple and worn down, but it fit well. His family lead a humble life, the sweatshirt was his almost his only winter apparel. His family couldn’t afford much else. His single father did what he could to provide a half way decent life for Max and his autistic brother Duncan, but this did not stop him from taking pills to sedate the pain. Max spent the majority of his time isolated in his room, playing video games, trying as hard as he could to fade away from the reality of home life.

He enjoyed lonely walks, for him they provoked deep thought and curiosity about the mysteries of the world. It was comforting when he subjected himself to reasoning to why he felt morose. Even though he was quite sad, answers to why provided solace. But it was different this time.

As expected, a girl inappropriately dressed for winter was in the same situation as Max, but for her it was dismal. He saw her across the road, looking superficially confident, but he could tell she was cold and perplexed. He wondered how far she lived from where the bus had broken down. Max had often seen her at school, he was mystified by her. He had no reason to approach her in the past (He only talks to people if it is out of necessity, he enjoys walking to the beat of his own drum).

“Hi”

“Um hi”

“I’m Max we go to school together” Max said refusing eye contact

“I know how you are, I’m Alyse”

“You look pretty cold.”

“Yeah, and have no idea where I am” Alyse said with a chuckle

“I know the area well, I can help you find your way?”

“Uh yeah, That would be super helpful!” She stated somewhat apprehensively.

And so began their adventure through the solemn streets of Worcester, Mass.  They walked in silence for a while. Max noticed Alyse shivering, she was still masking her discomfort with an unrealistic, sly smile. Max offered her the jacket, she accepted and thanked him, but with much unforetold embarrassment from Max’s perspective. They finally managed to complete the journey to Alyses house. She gestured Max with a simple goodbye then quickly proceeded into the house.

The sweater was in Max’s locker the next day at school. He intended to find Alyse at lunch and thank her, as he accepted he would never see the hoodie again. He approached her lunch table, where she was eating with an intimidating group of hipsters. Alyse disregarded all of Max’s advances and attempts to talk with her. Max grew fonder of her from afar, he desired her attention. Even though they did not talk much on their walk the previous day, it was the first time Max had felt  something more than apathy in regard to another person.

He refused to wear the hoodie again, when he got home he hid it under his bed so it would remain untouched from his family members, attempting to preserve the time he shared with her.

“Max, where’s yer hoodie?” His dad shouted

“I lost it”

“We ain’t able to afford more. This is bullsh*t! Find the goddam hoodie”

“Uh I’ll try” Max said callously as he walks away

His dad sighed and proceeded to deal with Duncan’s tantrum, that erupted as soon as their dad began shouting.

Her starlit eyes penetrating through his soul with an immortal

gaze. Floating through time as the world  melted in a vast ocean of

ambiguity, Max dreamt of Alyse that night.


The author's comments:

My friend's roomate is the inspiration for the main character. They are not exactly alike, but posses the same gerenal characterisitcs. It is up to the reader what they get out of the first portion of a two part series.