The 18th Birthday | Teen Ink

The 18th Birthday

By annmariemeyer GOLD, Atkinson, Nebraska
annmariemeyer GOLD, Atkinson, Nebraska

“Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”-C.S. Lewis

Once upon a time there was a princess named Rose. Rose was the daughter of the king of Mansfield. She had 11 other sisters. Out of the 12 princesses she was the most different.

She was pampered just like the others, but she chose to help out in the kitchen and be treated like a servant. Her father agreed to this because he thought it would be nice for a princess to work and not be spoiled. Her father said she be treated like a servant until her 18th birthday.

From that day on she was never pampered again. She was treated like a servant. Her chores were like running to the well to get water, grooming the horses, gathering walnuts for the woods, and cooking for the rest of her family.

By her 6th birthday she could out cook the hired cook so that cook was fired. Then by her 7th she was grooming the horses better than the paid person so once again that person was fired. By her 10th birthday she was the best servant in the castle.
Most of the other servants were fired. The only ones that stayed were pick by Rose. If they were mean to her they were booted out the door. They couldn’t figure out why they were fired. They thought Rose was just like them, a common person trying to make money to support her family, and they could treat her the same as if they were the kings. They didn’t read the newspaper, in the newspaper it clearly said that Rose was a servant who was at birth was a princess.
She grew up to a beautiful blossom. By her 15th she was even more beautiful than her sisters. Whenever a prince came to talk to her sisters, they would always ask to see the person who made the wonderful meal. A smile would always appear on their faces because they thought no one could be more beautiful than the princesses.

The princes always asked if she was a princess. Her answered no to every one of them. They always look at her in astonishment because someone that beautiful should be a princess and marry a prince.

The truth is she didn’t want to marry a prince, she wanted a prince; she wanted to marry the stable boy, Paul. He had been working in the stables at the castle for about 2 years. He even knew that she was a princess. That was the only reason he didn’t asked her out was he was kind of afraid of her father.

The day came when Paul was going to ask Rose out on a date. He thought to himself, “There is no harm asking her out she is only a servant on, but in 11 days she will be a princess again and for sure never say yes to him. It is now or never.”

Finally he had enough courage to ask Rose out. She said yes only on one concision; she was going to make a picnic for lunch. Paul was so love sick that he said to yes to her request.

The day on the picnic went smoothly until an hour before the picnic, the king sent for Paul to come to him because they needed to talk man to man. It all started with how’s it going. Then all of the sudden it came to are you dating my daughter, Rose. When Paul said yes, the king was kind of mad, but he realized that his little girl was growing up, and that to everyone else she was just any other servant. The king said that if it can to it he could marry Rose. Paul asked the king if he could have Rose’s hand in marriage. The king said it was all to Rose because he as the king couldn’t stop Rose when she had her mind set on something no one could change it.

Paul went right to Rose to take her out for an early picnic. She was so dazzled that she almost forgot to grab the picnic stuff. Once they found a good spot to set up the blanket for the picnic.

Then Paul went down on one knee on proposed to Rose. At first she wouldn’t say anything. Then she started crying because she knew that her father wouldn’t allow it because like in the other kingdoms all the princess would have to marry a prince to keep peace between the two kingdoms. Then Paul said that he had talked to her father and her father said that he could marry her because to the rest of the world knew her as the servant so it wouldn’t raise an eyebrow. After he said that Rose said yes and jump straight into his arms and gave him a hug and a long kiss.

They ate some of their picnic they would have ate all of it but Paul broke the news to soon. When they got back they ran to tell the king the good news.

Once they got there, there wasn’t the happy welcome they expected. They were told that the king had a heart attack and stroke. Paul felt so sad because he was so sure that him asking to take his daughter’s hand was what had caused the heart attack and stroke. Paul said time and time again that he was so sorry for what he did.
Rose and Paul never spoke of the engagement. Until two years later she was now almost 20 years old. She had told her sisters of the engagement Paul had given her. Her sisters said that Mansfield needed a king to rule. They said that Paul was perfect for the job.
So Rose and Paul were married on a warm day with a nice little breeze. Rose look like a true a princess, she was wearing a long white dress with all the lace in the kingdom or so it look like. What made her look even lovelier was that she sewed the dress up herself. Paul looked lovely to in his tux that Rose had sewed for him. Rose’s sisters wore the bridesmaids dresses that Rose sewed for them. The wedding was wonderful.
For that day on Rose and Paul rule the kingdom together. Rose still wasn’t pampered like the other princesses. She still cooked for the guests. She only dressed up for company she wore common clothes if it was only her family, the normal workers, and herself.
Rose went to bed each and every night feeling like a million bucks even though she didn’t look like it to a normal man’s eye, but to herself and her family she looked more than a million bucks. Rose lived and worked in Mansfield until the day she died. She died the most loved queen in the whole world.