The Liberator | Teen Ink

The Liberator

July 3, 2014
By pachapril21 BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky
pachapril21 BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I swear, every time I look into Bradley's eyes, a little part of my heart is healed and functioning again. The first time I saw him, his muscular body, his blond hair just falling over his eyes, it felt like an electric shock coursed through my veins, ending only because of the complete stillness of my heart. It was like nothing I'd ever felt before, I suddenly had hope that I could be safe. But all those feelings were gone when I lost sight of him in the sea of people that flooded the narrow corridor.

Now, as I stare into Bradley's deep blue eyes, all the memories come rushing back. I feel a small vibration throughout my entire body, all the built-up love I've been hiding can finally come out. I can't believe that I'm finally here, with Bradley, underneath the dark blanket of the midnight sky. No twisting branches connected to tall tree trunks block our view of the stars. All of a sudden, the silence is interrupted by a series of coughing fits. I leap off of the ground, a spot of grass now flattened from where I was. Bradley is on his stomach, struggling for each breath.

I rub his back as I plead "Not now, don't do this to me now! Stay here!"

Bradley takes one final breath and as he goes still, my world shuts down. Bright, vivid colors flash through my vision. The last thing I hear are my screams echoing across the moorlands before I am long gone.

***

"My heart. My heart is gone. My heart is gone and I am dead."

"You're going to be okay, you're not dead."

"I am not okay. My heart is gone. I am dead."

Ian throws his hands up and leaves the room, slamming the door behind him. The sound fills the tiny, white room.

Elyn is rocking back and forth on the hard tile, hugging her knees. Her black hair strongly contrasts the stark, white wall. "My heart, Bradley, no. I am dead." But Elyn knows she isn't dead. Everything that had happened to her was too real. Except for one thing. Her heart. "I-I don't understand. I'm supposed to be dead. Love didn't heal my heart yet. If Bradley is gone, I'm supposed to be gone too."

A new doctor struts into the room with an air of confidence surrounding her. Elyn lifts her head slightly and peers up at the new doctor with her innocent, green eyes. After Elyn takes in the scene- a short woman, in her mid thirties, brown hair pulled back in a tight bun- she rests her chin on her knees.

"Hello, my name is Ria and I'm here to explain everything to you."

Bradley, Bradley, I need you, Elyn thinks.

After getting no response, Ria continues, "As you know, you have a very special condition where your heart is broken into pieces. This means your heart is very fragile and your life could slip away, leaving you with a very..." Ria pauses trying to think of an appropriate word. "Agonizing death. The only cure for this condition is for your limbic system, that's the part of the brain that controls your emotions, to believe you are safe and loved by a special type of person. This people call themselves the Liberators."

Liberator, Bradley was a Liberator? Not possible, Elyn thinks.

"The Liberators make it their job to seek out people with the same condition as you and cure them. Bradley was a Liberator." Ria looks expectantly at Elyn, wanting a response.

Elyn stares at the floor, feeling herself start to slip away again. "A-a Liberator.... Came-came for me?"

"Yes," Ria replies, "and you were saved."

"I was saved. I am not dead. My heart is still here." Elyn puts her hand to her chest while talking to herself. The last thing she remembers is Ria rushing toward her as she slowly fell onto the cold, hard floor.

***

"I once thought death was a black hole. A black hole that sucked you in and wouldn't let you back out again. Until I saw the light, and grabbed hold of it, and pulled myself free of death's grip. And I will live knowing now and forever that it was Bradley's love who pulled me out of that hole. Who pulled me back out of death." Elyn takes a deep breath in the mirror and studies her new and improved reflection. "Bradley would have wanted you to be happy, to find love again." And for the first time in a long time, Elyn steps out the front door and breathes in the sweet scent of freedom.