Pens and Clothespins | Teen Ink

Pens and Clothespins

June 28, 2014
By nicoledente PLATINUM, Galion, Ohio
nicoledente PLATINUM, Galion, Ohio
21 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
If you aren't going to believe my answer, then you shouldn't have asked!


People are good at facades. It’s not something that comes to mind usually, but it’s true. How many people tell the truth, all the time? How many people are so open you can take one look at them and know everything? No one, that’s who.
What really gets me, is how often people have these emotions, any kind, and do absolutely nothing about them. How easy it is to do that. Sure, going into a murderous rage isn’t exactly ideal. But what about the opposite, why does that stay bottled up? Why is it so hard to put out there? (So easy to keep in?)
It’s like, there’s this thing inside, sometimes something that you can easily define, grasp, name, but it never gets let out. It just stays there, and no one else ever knows about it, even though it’s this huge part of you. Or maybe it isn’t definable, graspable, nameable, but it’s still there, still strong, still taking up half or maybe all of your heart, but you’re the only one who knows.
No one looks at you and goes, “Oh, yeah, you feel like that.” No one ever hears from you, “Oh, I’m like this; this huge thing defines me.”
What about that thing that involves two people, not just you? How does that stay locked up inside, encased and controlled, unknown? How does this person who basically makes up every thought you have never know that’s how important he is?
It’s so easy to walk right up to him, right past him, talk to him aloud, listen to his conversation, but he still never knows. You have to tell him, say it, not just feel it. It can just sit there, in the back of your mind, and even when you’re right in front of him, he’s never going to know.
Your hand can reach out for him, handing him this pen or that clothespin, and your heart can copy the movement, handing him itself, but he’s only ever going to see that pen or that clothespin, never your heart.
That’s your facade, that’s everyone’s facade. You have to make an emotion physical for anyone to know about it, and when you have no way to do that it will never be done, and you’ll be the only person to know about it.


The author's comments:
People are good at facades.