Youth | Teen Ink

Youth

By GreyE BRONZE, Barrington, Rhode Island
GreyE BRONZE, Barrington, Rhode Island

"Life is your story. Each day is the next chapter."

The forest loomed far overhead, towering high above the small girl. To her, it was unending, reaching heights which she could only imagine. Gazing above, her mind built the trunks up to be taller and taller, causing the lofty trees to become legs of giants. The sun, soaring beyond the crisp sky, signified mid-day. Heat hung in the air, consuming every breeze which gracefully floated by. The humidity level rose with each passing second, causing the very air to buzz with passion. A slight drop of sweat dripped down her small forehead. Quickly, a tiny, grubby hand wiped it away, leaving a warm trail of moisture across her face. Lengthy blond hair glistened with sweat, unmoving in the stagnant air. Everything was still on this warm summer day.
A dragonfly buzzed by, lazily droning on through the thick heat. Large eyes followed it, watching as the fragile creature staggered onto an overgrown blade of grass. Its un-proportional wings began to beat once more, lifting the oddly shaped body skyward. Drifting past the girl without regard, it continued on, undisturbed by wind or any disruption which may have obstructed its quest.
A childish grin filled the bright face which was observing. The insect brought a look of wonder to the girl’s lively eyes. It hovered off through the field of grass, leaving nothing but a distant hum behind it. She was a child, one who found adventure in every opportunity, and mystery in every shadow. Her mind, filled to the brim with curiosity, constantly wanted to overturn every leaf just to quench her thirst. She wanted to know everything about anything, and her tiny hands would not stop until they had achieved that. Her wide eyes drank up the entirety of the world which enclosed her body. Still hanging high above in the sky, the sun appeared as a drop of gold within a vast sea of sapphire. The heat grew all the more oppressing with each passing moment, as its weight seemed to devour the unmoving air. The small body didn’t mind. Nothing could quell the spark inhabiting her young mind.
The girl’s gaze lowered, no longer staring at the blinding sun. It fell on the looming forest, which lay ominously before her, as a beast would wait for its prey. She stared; entranced by the limitless potential each leaf inside the eerie sanctum could hold. The large trunks seemed to invite her closer, as if they wanted to swallow her up within the shadows which lay beneath the foliage. Each branch had an ethereal feel, the sort that is left by abandonment and neglect. The wooded area which lay before the child appeared to have not been touched for many decades. They contained a certain feeling, foreign to the girl, one which sent a shiver through her damp body despite the scorching heat. A slight breeze drifted, causing the immense trees to sway slightly with an unknown rhythm. Leaves swirled downward, dancing through the thick air elegantly, before landing gently.
Ignited, the flame of curiosity grew out of control. Every passing instant made the forest seem to grow farther upwards. Her foot stepped forward, drawn by the inner pull which began to engulf her, as leaves gradually fell around her, whispering warnings in their quiet voices. The overwhelming sun became covered by the canopy far above as each step drew her closer to the edge. Shadows slithered towards her unprotected feet, submerging her sweaty figure with an ominous chill. Like a disease, uncertainty began to corrode the fringes of the child’s mind. What once had seemed so tempting now began to induce fear into the young heart. She halted abruptly, her mind entangled by stray emotions, as the blaze of curiosity sealed in her eyes began to dim. Stubbornly, the small chest puffed out, refusing to let the uneasiness which she felt keep her from the impending trial. Stepping forward once more, she found herself standing at the threshold of the sinister forest. Guarded by dense undergrowth, the woodland seemed alive as it sat in silence before her. A cool breeze wafted from the thick vegetation, carrying the fresh scent of Mother Nature in its calm hands. Heart quickening, she carefully pushed aside the ancient thickets protruding from the solid ground. The ember of curiosity rekindled as her breath deepened, excited by the promise of an immeasurable unknown.
The young child took one final step forward, crossing the gateway, bringing her into the wondrous realm which she had so desired to lay eyes on. The cool breath of trees surrounded her, invigorating the girl’s cautious stride. Shadows swayed at the base of each tree, beckoning with their subtle dances. Large eyes followed their movements, absorbed in the enchanting scene of ghostly shapes weaving between the trunks. Shadowy figures whispered encouragement as they ran into the forest depths, pulling her deeper as well. The air lay still.
Another cool breeze caressed the young girl, bringing with it a single note. Her strides ceased, as ears perked up, ringing with tender music. It was a soft, magical tone, which seemed to echo endlessly inside her mind. Her heart skipped, beating in sync with the rhythm which now resonating across through the woodland. Blissful, yet lonely, it seemed to embrace her soul, and convey to it the all which it wished to hear. She stood, listening with great adoration as minutes crept by, meaningless in light of this new sound. Arms stretched outward, as if reaching for the untouchable tune, she ran. Behind her lay all doubt, all fear which had once begun to corrupt, as it was now replaced with the strong desire to find the source of this mystic sound. Branches reached out, trying to prevent her progression. Loose clothing which draped across the child’s tiny body became imprisoned within the grasping claws, yet she did not stop. Faster and faster she ran, pushing her delicate body to lengths which had never been demanded. The lust to clutch the melody with her bare hands was unbearable to the tiny child. Long hair fluttered silently behind the desperate body, becoming wild as the cool air flowed through it.
Crimson droplets splattered over each leaf which she passed, dripping out of a gash which appeared on her left leg. The stream of blood quickened with each step, yet it remained unnoticed. The girl did not care how it had appeared, nor did she realize the pain which was now arcing through her short leg. Her heart beat with excitement, as the hope of reaching the source of this unknown tune raced through her young mind. Foot catching onto a timeworn stump, she tumbled, falling face first into the loam. Dirt streaked hands struggled to recover, shaking with effort, yet they did not succeed. Once again she fell, soil seeping into her exposed mouth. An earthy taste pervaded, bringing her back to reality. Pain oozed through her body, leaking from the crimson stained gash. Tears crept into the corners of the girl’s eyes, brought by the sudden shock of her predicament. She made a final attempt to find her feet, unsteadily standing without support. Tears now spilled down her face as her pain wracked body shambled forward, continuing down the unfamiliar path. Each step caused agony to sear through her body, yet she refused to stop. The lonely melody had never once rested, sighing through leaves around her. Louder, it grew; giving hope to the pained heart that success lay near.
With each step the pain gradually faded. The melody soothed her soul, instilling confidence, pushing her forward. Her tears dried, and a smile began to spread across her contorted face. No amount of grime could dim the delight which emanated from her dirtied form. Around her the vegetation grew ancient, as if time was regressing, propelling her farther from civilization. Everywhere thickets seemed to grow taller, lying untouched by the passage of time. Weary arms worked tirelessly, pushing aside that which stood before them. Tugging one last plant aside, she revealed a sacred clearing, lit by the dying light.
A lone figure sat under the deep twilight sky. His fingers weaved effortless across an old, hand-carved flute, producing the sweet noise which had enveloped the woodland. A straw hat covered his face, blocking out the world which surrounded him, leaving him secluded, bathed in the emerging starlight. Ragged clothing clung to his frail bod, barely shrouding him from the elements which ravaged all else. She stood, watching in silence, allowing herself to be submerged in the enticing melody. Her legs gave way to fatigue, bringing the small body to the ground once again. A tear of joy streaked down the worn face, content with the feeling of accomplishment which began to bloom within. Everything was perfect.
“Who are you?” she asked breathlessly, allowing the words which tormented her soul to escape into the wind. The boy did not notice, continuing to play as if she had remained quiet. The tune began to cease, bringing closure to the beautiful noise, ending on a succulent note, which resounded through her being. He glanced upwards, finally acknowledging her presence. His eyes were piercing, a dark crimson, reminiscent of the blood droplets which not too long ago had decorated her leg.
“Kekekeke,” he laughed, pulling the brim of his wide hat back over his face, cloaking his eyes in shadow once again. Her heart slowed, unfulfilled with his answer, leaving her with countless questions. His fingers began elegantly gliding across the flute once more, filling the grove with the lonely sound of his dreamlike music. Notes floated upwards, towards the ever-darkening sky, which now grew to be a heavy purple.
“Please tell me,” she asked once more, desperation creeping into her timid voice. “Please tell me your name.”
“I don’t have a name.”

WordAddict GOLD, Montclair, New Jersey

"Timshel!"

I didn't read the whole thing but your description from the first half of it was exceptional! Awesome, bravo.

rchander14 said...
Hey that was really great man!

I love the imagery man...keep it up!

on May. 21 2014 at 10:08 am
this piece of writing is so amazing! the author is really talented :)