Always: Chapter Three | Teen Ink

Always: Chapter Three

By wallflower3 GOLD, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
wallflower3 GOLD, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -Randy Pausch

Chapter three:

I walk into my Biology class and find what I assume to be my new lab partner. Mr. Anderson, my teacher, does an introduction to class and then asks the girl sitting next to me to go to the front. “All right class, this is our new student Charlotte. Charlotte Asher, she’s from…” “I’m from New York, thanks Mr. Anderson.” She says, then makes her way back to her seat next to me. Mr. Anderson continues class and writes some notes on the board but that’s not what I focus on, “Hey, I’m Levi. I noticed your bracelet, I really like it.” I say to her. I hope she didn’t notice how I was staring at her long curly brown hair either. “Thanks Levi.” Theirs something about her that makes me want to know more, she seems mysterious and I liked that. But in the back of my mind I still saw Margaux’s face. The other night’s argument did make a difference on how I viewed our relationship. When I pass people in the hallways they no longer always talk to me about Margaux all the time, which makes me happy. The fact that she took my wish into her hands and made it happen makes me have more respect for her. I feel like I finally have a real relationship that’s private. Not that I don’t like the compliments on how cute we are, but I don’t miss the occasional smirks and rumors that come along with having a girlfriend. But then again even with things going so good, I continued to wonder about Charlotte.
~
One thing I am not able to get over is how I constantly see Margaux and this guy Xavier talking in the hallway. I don’t get jealous easily but for the past week ever since I had went to her house I’d seen this kid everywhere with her. I’ve asked her about him but they seem to be really good friends. Xavier is on the basketball team also but I never really paid attention to him, not to be cocky, but he never seemed that cool to me. They stand there at her locker talking and laughing, she drops her Biology book on the ground and of course he picks it up. That should be me laughing with her, and I’m the one suppose to be picking her books up for her. Is the reason Margaux and I haven’t been the talk of the school lately because she likes some other guy? Some other guy that nobody notices yet, and is starting to become this popular “jock”? Have my friends been too scared to tell me what’s going on between them? I was done questioning and was going to find out for myself. Margaux and Xavier separate and I make my way towards her, swinging my arms and putting one foot infront of the other ill I reached her. “Listen, I’m trying not to assume things here but what’s up with you and that kid?” I say, pointing to Xavier.
“To be honest, I started hanging out with him to get a break from you. You expect so much from me Levi.”

“I’m your boyfriend, shouldn’t I expect a little more? And I don’t really know what I’ve done other than try to make this work.”

On the outside, our relationship did seem perfect. Our popularity made for something for people to talk about, but I was over it. She just walked away, and this time I didn’t bother to chase after her. If this meant it was over, I no longer cared and would be happy to watch her go run off with Xavier.

~
This might be a sign though, Charlotte got me wondering, and everything with Xavier got me thinking that Margaux must not care. But I knew Charlotte was going to be a challenge. With her mysterious eyes and sharp attitude, it wasn’t going to be easy to get her to like me. That’s why I’m not rushing into anything, I want to get to know this girl, and figure out if I even have a chance being friends first.