Basic Boy and Girl Crush | Teen Ink

Basic Boy and Girl Crush

Her name was Ellen. She had blonde, wavy hair, bluish green eyes, and freckles on her nose. Her smile, people told her, was a beautiful smile. She was a shy girl. Yet once someone got to know her, she was outgoing and fun to be with. Ellen loved spending time with her friends shopping, and when she was at home she liked to bake and make dinner sometimes. She had a very unique and sweet personality towards others. Especially this handsome someone special she had recently started talking to a few weeks ago…
His name was Daniel. He had soft brown hair, greenish brown eyes, and he was very good-looking. He was quiet and a little bit shy when he was around people he didn’t know. But when he’s around his friends and other people he knows, he liked to be funny and outgoing. He loved to play sports, especially basketball and baseball. Daniel was a very kindhearted young man. Ellen was a beautiful young girl that he started talking to, and he was especially sweet to her.
It started about a week or two before Valentine’s Day. Ellen got a random friend request on snap chat from this kid she recognized from Instagram, and she also knew of him because she is family friends with his cousins. It was Daniel. When she opened the snap chat it said “Why school?” and for some reason she thought it was a little bit cute. Of course she got all giddy because this cute guy was snap chatting her, Ellen Louisa of all people. He could only snap chat her when he had Wi-Fi and she’d always be waiting for him to snap her. Daniel would also comment on her Instagram posts and they’d have conversations. One day Ellen had snapped Daniel with a sad face and told him that her mom had called her ugly. When he snapped her back he said “Well I think you’re cute?” This made her blush and she got all giddy. Ellen often found herself thinking to herself, ‘ask for my number already please!’
So it went on, Daniel snap chatted Ellen whenever he had the chance. He would sometimes get a little annoyed that he couldn’t talk to her all day. Daniel was getting sick of only talking to her when he had Wi-Fi. Instagram comments and snap chat wasn’t enough. He thought about asking for her number, but he was nervous that he would make her think he’s a creep. One night they were having a conversation on Instagram, and he finally decided he wanted to text her.
“Hey you should text me so I don’t have to get Wi-Fi every time I want to talk to you?” *Send* Daniel was so beyond worried that she wouldn’t comment back.

Ellen’s phone dinged saying she had an Instagram notification. She read it once. Locked her phone squeezed it and could not control her smile. She opened her phone up and read it again to make sure she wasn’t dreaming.
“Hey you should text me so I don’t have to get Wi-Fi every time I want to talk to you ?”
Smiley face and everything?! But wait…he didn’t leave his number for her so how was she supposed to text him? Ellen couldn’t believe he actually asked her! Beyond happy and unaware of anything but this cute kid who was talking to her, she commented back to Daniel giving him her number so he could be the first to text her. Her phone buzzed. It was a number that she didn’t recognize and she knew it was him. Excited as she was, she couldn’t wait to open up the message.
“Hey it’s Daniel?”
Smiling, Ellen replied “Heyyy?”
And the conversation went on. They talked about anything and everything up until it was past time for bed.
They both lay in bed (their own of course) and thought about each other. Ellen thought that she might be forming a crush on Daniel. He had said some very nice things to her that no one has ever said before. She fell asleep thinking about him and how he made her happier than she has ever been in a while.
One day Ellen had posted one of her senior pictures on Instagram and a kid named David commented and said, “Do you want to be my Valentine?”
Ellen thought about Daniel and commented back to David coming up with an excuse to say no. “Nah, Valentine’s Day is dumb.”
Later as she was texting Daniel, and this is how the conversation went;
Ellen: “This kid on Instagram asked me if I wanted to be his valentine. Haha?”
Daniel: “What? Who does this kid think he is trying to steal my valentine?;)”
Ellen: “Who do you think you are trying to say I’m your Valentine? We haven’t discussed this yet;)”
Daniel: “Well you’re my Valentine okay?”
Ellen: “Gee way to be demanding! Haha. Can’t you at least ask?;)”
Daniel: “Okay fine, Will you be my Valentine?:)”
Ellen: “Yes of course I will?”

Ellen had a valentine for the first time in her 18 years of living. She couldn’t help but be super joyed that someone had finally wanted to be her valentine. She was being a typical girl all giddy and smiley because of a guy. Although he lived a few hours away, she wasn’t able to spend Valentine’s Day with him. And distance could also be a problem if they were ever to become more serious with a relationship.

Daniel was going to Montana the weekend of Valentine’s Day with his family and passed right through where Ellen lived, which made him mad because he couldn’t stop and see her. Ellen was at school and his dad wasn’t about to stop just for him.

One night Ellen began to worry about the distance between her and Daniel. She also was very worried that he would find a different girl that he liked while he was in Montana. How did she know that he wasn’t talking to other girls that live closer to him? How could she trust that when he told her he was doing something but he really might be doing something else? Ellen especially worried about these things when Daniel would go a while without texting her back. Eventually he would text her back saying sorry he was playing ball or something. This happened often and it began to worry Ellen even more. He wouldn’t text her if he was hanging out with his friends, and he wouldn’t text her while doing other things either. She thought that it wasn’t a big deal at first but he was doing it more and more and she couldn’t buy it. She didn’t know if she could trust that he’s being truthful to her and she got sick of him not texting her back. Why waste her time on someone who doesn’t put in the effort to make things work out without distance getting in the way? She started typing out a message.

“Hey Daniel… I was just thinking that… I don’t know any other way to say this but I feel like we should just be friends and not take this relationship any further.” *delete* No that sounded dumb. So she started another message, “Hey, I don’t like that I have to say this , but lately I’ve been feeling like you don’t really have the time for me right now… and if that’s the case I’d rather you tell me instead of ignoring me. I think it’s better if we keep as just friends.” Ellen debated a while on whether to send it or not. *Send* She did. There was no going back now.

Her phone buzzed almost immediately after.

“Ellen are you crazy? What are you talking about?”

“I don’t know… it’s hard to put what I’m thinking into words… and I don’t think the distance between us is helping. We can’t go on with this. I’m sorry.”

Daniel, still confused about this random text, replied, “I don’t get why you’re worrying about this Ellen…”

Ellen was done trying to explain herself so she didn’t reply to him. She got another text, “Ellen?” Again, she didn’t reply.

A couple weeks went by and Ellen and Daniel said not one word to each other. Finally one night, Daniel tried calling her. He didn’t expect her to answer but she did.

“Hello?”

“Ellen?”

“Yes it’s me.”

“Hi. I just wanted to talk about things…I miss talking to you.”

Ellen loved the sound of his voice and she always had. She weakened all over. Once he told her he missed her, she realized she missed him too. A lot.

“Daniel I know, I miss you too. I really do.” With sympathy in her voice.

“Can we talk about things? I can’t go on without talking to you. I just need an explanation Ellen. Anything. I think we can figure things out and make this work. I miss you too much.”

They talked it over and straightened things out. They both decided that they liked each other too much to stop talking to each other. They said their sorries and talked about life. They talked for about an hour and a half and Ellen started getting tired. They said their goodnights but before they hung up Daniel thought of something.

“Ellen?”

“Yes?”

“Promise you will talk to me tomorrow?”

“I will talk to you and I will never stop Daniel.”

“Goodnight sweetie.”

“Goodnight Daniel.”

Days, nights, weeks went by and Daniel and Emma talked just about every day. They got to know each other a bit more and talked about little things and big things. Each day as they talked they began to like one another more and more. They both loved having someone to say good morning and goodnight to, and loved knowing that they were there for each other when they needed. They started becoming best friends and told each other everything. As of now, they weren’t dating but they both knew it would happen one of these days as soon as they could make it out to one another’s homes. A teenage boy and a teenage girl experiencing feelings for each other… nothing new. But this could be something different.