Happy Birthday | Teen Ink

Happy Birthday

By Isthak SILVER, Clairton, Pennsylvania
Isthak SILVER, Clairton, Pennsylvania

Kajo ytu edeth. Pridel tuk bithar

I ran through the streets with her hand in mine. Behind me I heard her laughing as we ran. Briefly I heard myself say ‘come on’ and we continued winding through the city.

“Stop, stop,” she said. “Let me catch my breath.”

“Oh come on,” I said. “We haven’t even been running that long.”

She stumbled into me as I came to a stop. “Do you even know where we are going?”

“I do,” I said. “But it’s a surprise so I can’t tell you.”

She sighed and stepped up close to me. Her nose touched mine and she looked at me with seductive eyes.

“Come on,” She said kissing me gently. “Tell me and maybe you’ll get a surprise.”

I kissed her back and said simply. “Nope.”

She pulled away from me, folded her arms and put on a pouty face.

“Why not?” She asked.

I laughed. “Because I payed to see your reaction and because it is a surprise.”

“My birthday, my rules, and I say you have to tell.” she said.

“Fine,” I said. “but lets go somewhere nicer.”

She groaned as I took her hand again and pulled her through the streets. We ran around for about fifteen minutes until we made it to the bridge.

“This is where you wanted to go?” she asked looking me in the face.

I pointed out to the river motioning for her to look. In the west the sun was just setting at the edge of the river casting a beautiful glow out over the water. She gasped and looked out over the river. As she did I pulled out the long box and waited for her gaze to return to me. As soon as it did I opened the box and she gasped clamping her hands over her mouth.

“Happy Birthday.” I said.

She stared at it for what seemed like several minutes. I let her take in the sight of the necklace then began taking it out the box. I place the box in my pocket and proceeded to put the necklace on her neck. The jewels on the tip shined in the sunlight. She held her hair up as I fastened the necklace behind her neck. Once I did she let her hair drop and turned around. She looked into my eyes and smiled.
“Better now?” I asked.

“Yes,” she said wrapping her arms around my neck. “Definitely better.”

She pressed her lips to mine and a feeling of warmth spread through me. At that moment I would never let her go.