A New Promise | Teen Ink

A New Promise

By KnowMyStory7382 BRONZE, Williamsburg, Virginia
KnowMyStory7382 BRONZE, Williamsburg, Virginia

Live well, Love freely, and Laugh like tomorrow will never come

The sun was beating down on my back. It was only ten-thirty and it was ninety degrees out. I looked up from my towel that lay on the white sand. The bright blue waves climbed up the beach. A few clouds drifted in the sky. Yep, it was a perfect day to start summer. Turning over so I lay on my back, I looked up at the house.

The summer house was nothing special. It was two stories with a nice wrap-around porch. It sat on the beach, painted white to keep it cool. The wrap-around porch was freshly power washed and the pool was clean. We had been coming ever since we were little with our parents but now that we were older it was given to us to share. It was the perfect place to spend the summer. I laid out for a while longer when I heard a car pull up the driveway.

I knew she would be here early; she always was. Standing up I grabbed my towel and phone and ran up the beach. Sliding open the glass door I stepped into the kitchen. I saw her bags sitting next to the island. Then I saw her. Her blonde almost white hair flowed in the air as she turned. She wore a long white sundress. My bubbly attitude made me louder than I thought I was. I smiled. “Sky!” I yelled before running to the doorway where she stood.
“Amy!” she yelled back. I grabbed her in a tight hug. At last when I pulled away, her soft purple eyes met mine. “Man, I’ve been so lonely!” I said still smiling.

I had come earlier in the late spring to get the house ready and waited till summer when everyone came. But during the summer my three best friends came up to spend the summer here. She smiled at me. “I couldn’t wait to get here! I’ve been counting down the days for weeks. Are the guys here yet?” she asked peeking over my shoulder. Coal and Nick were the other two of our little group. They always drove up together. One day I asked why and Coal told me it was because they needed guy time. I laughed when he said that.

“No but you know them, they’re always late,” I answered. I grabbed her bag and started walking up the stairs. “So, you want to get in the pool?” I had been out on the beach all morning waiting and now that Sky was here I wanted to do something.

“Yeah, let me just get on my bathing suit.” I dropped her bag in her room.

“I’ll be outside then!” I called when I got to the bottom of the stairs. I grabbed two towels out of the closet and two tall glasses of sweet tea. Opening the sliding door I slipped out. The hot air hit me and made me want the pool even more. I put the tea and towels on the little table next to the lounge chairs and dove in.

I didn’t know how long I had been under there; it felt like forever but it felt good. When I finally came up Sky was looking at me. “Wow you have been under for five minutes. What were you thinking about?” she asked me. I climbed out of the pool. Water ran down my body and dripped to the ground. Memories and images of Nick soared through my mind.

“Nothing… just everything.” I smiled. Sky laid out on one of the lounge chairs and I sat at the edge of the pool with my feet dipped in the water.

“You know you can tell me anything, right?” she said. I turned around and looked at her.

“What? You think I have a secret?” I answered back.

“Well you know, you and Nick got really close last summer and I was just wondering if anything happened?” she said with a smile. I could feel my cheeks turn red.

“No, nothing happened last year. We are just really good friends,” and with that I slid back into the pool. My mind drew back the memories of Nick and me. I didn’t want to come up, not yet at least. I wanted to stay and just float in and out of memories of Nick. The water was warmed from the sun and it felt nice. I finally had to come up, but I couldn’t make eye contact. Sky was good at reading people, and I didn’t want her to know my feelings for him, at least not yet anyway. I swam one lap around the pool. The water moved fast as I cut through it. After I was done, I climbed out and laid out on the chair next to Sky.

The sun baked us as we sipped on sweet tea and talked about the past summers. That’s what I love about this house was when we were here the world was gone. All of a sudden I heard laughing. When I turned there were Coal and Nick. Nick’s hair was golden brown with a surfer cut. His soft baby blue eyes lit up when he saw us. Standing up I felt my cheeks burn. We had been friends forever, but standing in front of him in my white bikini made me uneasy. “Man, you guys got hot!” smiled Nick.

“Where have you guys been?” I asked as I punched him on the arm. He quickly dodged it.

“Seeing the open road, being men!” he answered. I was laughing now. Coal stepped in.

“Idiot got us stuck in traffic because he wanted to stop and get burgers,” Coal said. He dropped his suitcase on the porch and threw himself in a chair.

“But they were good burgers, weren’t they?” Nick smiled. Coal let out a laugh and nodded. His black hair was also cut surfer style but his grassy green eyes was what caught most people’s attention. Coal was the quiet one of the four of us, but when he wanted to he was the best guy you could hang out with.

“Why did you guys come around back? The front door is always unlocked?” I asked him.
A smile came across his face. “We wanted to scare you guys,” He answered, “But you guys ruined it by being outside so thanks a lot.”

“You guys are so weird,” Sky laughed.

We spent the rest of the day on the beach. Sky and I watched the guys surf for a little bit and then joined them. Coal surfed the best out of all of us. I sat on my board and watched him as he would go up and do a quick jump. We cheered him on watching and laughing when Nick got pushed off his board by a wave.

We all sat drifting for a few minutes taking in the summer. Then Nick called out, “Crab Shack!” We all smiled. Crab Shack was a restaurant that we always ate at on the first night of summer.

“Last one to the car pays!” Sky yelled. We all started paddling to shore. First Sky then Coal then me and last running up the beach was Nick. Sky ran up the steps sliding open the door and running in. Coal was on her heels and Nick and I were fighting, trying to get into the door. Somehow I got in first. I ran up the stairs and into my bedroom. Sky was in the bathroom brushing her hair. I dragged the brush through my hair. The ocean water made it impossible. Sky was right on my heels. The guys were running down stairs, tripping and laughing. I heard the front door open. Sky was now in front of me, but I slowed down. Grabbing my keys from the living room table, I slowly moved out the door.

Everyone looked as I dangled the keys in my hand. Nobody could get in without me unlocking the car. I stepped down the steps slowly. My light blue convertible was washed and now sat in the sun. It was the best car to have at the summer house and it was really the only one we used; well, expect Nick’s jeep. When I reached the driver’s side, I hit the button as fast as I could. Coal pulled the seat forward and jumped into the back. Sky slid in next to him and Nick was in the passenger seat. I climbed in and started the car.

The summer house was about fifteen minutes from town but nobody cared. Nick reached towards the radio and turned it on. Curse was on and we started singing. We weren’t the best singers, so it was funny. The sun had almost melted away from the sky when we reached town. I drove down the familiar streets. We passed the putt putt course and the bowling alley. Store signs turned on as the sky got dark.

I pulled into the parking lot and everyone climbed out. It was never that busy at Crab Shack and that’s why we liked it so much. We laughed and talked about all the stupid stuff we had done. It was perfect. When we were finished with our crab legs and sweet tea the guys threw in two twenties and we headed out.

We strolled through the streets. The lights on the trees were lit up now and the sky was clear. “I got an idea!” said Nick. We all stared at him. His ideas were always funny but always crazy.

“We are not robbing the bank Nick,” Coal answered.
Nick smiled. “I say that one time and you guys aren’t going to let me forget, are you?” We all shook our heads trying not to smile. “I was going to say let do a race.”

“I’m too tried to run,” pouted Sky. I nodded to show I agreed.

“No, I’ll carry Amy and Coal can carry Sky,” He said like it was the best idea in the world.

“You’re on,” said Coal.

“Wait don’t Sky and me have a say in this?” I asked.

“Nope,” Coal and Nick answered together. They both bent down and Sky and I climbed onto their backs.

“Don’t drop me Nick!” I said.

“I won’t,” he said with a smile that made me uneasy. “Ready?” Nick asked.

“Ready,” Coal answered and we were off. They were both fast runners, but even though Sky and I weren’t that heavy we slowed them down. The wind grabbed at my hair and made me smile. I felt the warmth of his neck on my arms. I leaned into his neck and breathed in the smell of cologne and ocean water. The car was a few feet away and Coal was a few steps behind. When we stopped, I looked up. Nick and I reached the car and he dropped me into the driver’s seat.

“Man, you guys must be getting fat,” Nick said breathlessly. Coal shrugged as if we could race a million more times. On the way back Nick feel asleep in the passenger seat. I smiled at him; he looked so cute like that. When we got back to the house, I nudged him awake. A little smile came across his face, and I couldn’t think of anything but to kiss him. My dream was interrupted when Coal pushed the seat forward, and Sky and he jumped out.

“Come on you, I’m going to leave you here,” I said playing. I tugged on his arm a little and his eyes opened. With the stars bouncing off of them they looked like little pools. I gave him another pull and he sat up. I got out of the car and opened his door. He held out his hand. I felt our fingers begin to lock before I pulled away. I glanced at his face and, for a moment, was it regret I saw in his eyes? But before I could figure it out he smiled once again.

Walking into the house I went to the kitchen. All of a sudden I heard beach music, the type we listened to when we were little. “That’s my jam!” I heard Nick yell. Peeking into the living room I saw Nick doing the sprinkler. Before I could slip away back to the kitchen he grabbed my hand. “You know you want to dance with me,” he said smiling. I laughed and then we were doing some old 80’s dance. I pulled away when he tried to dip me. Laughing I fell back on the couch and watched as he now pulled Sky from her seat.
I headed back into the kitchen. I found four tall glasses and filled them half way with lemonade. Sky stood in the doorway of the kitchen. “Hey want a drink?” I asked
“Why not?” Sky smiled. I handed her a glass; she took a small sip before making a face. “What is in this?” She asked looking at it like it was poison.
“Maybe, a little bit of vodka,” I answered with a smile. She laughed when I said it.
The music was turned up louder and the boys came in. “Want a glasses of the first day of summer?” Sky asked.
Handing them each a glass I held mine up. “To the first day of summer.” We all clicked our glasses and took a long sip. The boys made the same face Sky had but they kept drinking it anyway. I went back into the living room and dropped on the couch. Sky came and sat next to me. I listen to the boys laughing and making their normal summer bets. I pulled the fluffy blanket of the back off the couch and wrapped it around me.
“Hey we’re going upstairs; you guys need anything?” Nick’s head popped out from the kitchen.
“Popcorn?” I asked. He disappeared back into the kitchen and a minute later I heard the microwave started. “So what movie are we going to watch?” I asked Sky. She was already going through the movies in the drawer under the table.
“I don’t know; whatever you want.” I heard the microwave ding and Coal and Nick laughing. Sky held up Just go with It, “Yes, that one.” She slipped the movie into the DVD player and sat down on the couch. Nick came into the living room just in time. “Thank Nick.” I heard Coal go up the stairs. “Where are you guys going?”
“To play the PS3,” Coal yelled from the top of stairs. Nick took a handful of popcorn and ran after him. The movie started and Sky and I lay back on the couch.
After the movie was over I dragged Sky off the couch. I turned the TV off and headed upstairs. Sky had already gone to bed and I heard snoring coming from Coal’s room. I peeked into the game room and there was Nick passed out on the couch. I had the blanket wrapped around my shoulders and I went and nudged him. After that I punched him on the arm.
“Owww, what was that for?” he groaned.
“Come on sleepy head. It’s time for bed.” He held out his hand like he was asking me to help him up. When I gave him my hand he pulled me onto him.
I giggled, “You are so dumb.” He laughed.
“Okay, okay I’ll going to bed.” He got up and I held out my hands. “Fine.” He picked me up and carried me to my bedroom. As always he dropped me on my bed. In the moonlight I saw his smile. Before I knew what was happening he leaned in and kissed me. He backed up. “I’m sorry, I didn’t.” He backed out of my room, and I didn’t know what to think or do. I lay back down in bed, a tear rolled down my cheek. Before I knew what I was doing, I got up and walked slowly to his room.
“It was nothing; it meant nothing,” I heard him whisper to himself. Tears ran down my face. I turned back around and went into my room. I pulled on my bathing suit and headed to the pool. I needed to think and the water would help clear my mind. I opened the glass door and into the warm summer night. I ran and jumped into the pool. When I came up, I felt a little better but the kiss was still burned into my mind.
I walked back into the house and I headed upstairs to my bedroom, dropping my bathing suit and putting on sweats and a tank top. I climbed into bed and covered my face with the blanket. I cried and listened to the waves of the ocean though the open window. It seemed like they were crying with me too. At one point I heard footsteps stop at my door, but I couldn’t stop my tears. I thought I heard the door start to open but it never did.
I don’t know when I fell asleep but I must have because I woke up to the sun just coming up. I grabbed my alarm clock. It was seven in the morning. I put on my white bikini and pulled on my jean shorts and headed down stairs. No one was up but me so I went outside. I sat outside and ate breakfast on the deck.
I closed my eyes and listened to the waves and the ocean. I wanted to forget what happened last night but I couldn’t. I heard the glass door slide open and someone step out onto the deck. “Can we talk?” he asked. Opening my eyes I saw him standing there in front of me.
“Sure,” I said with no tone. He held out his hand to the porch steps and I walked down them. We walked down the beach for a while without any words. When he stopped, I turned and looked at him.
“I just want to say sorry,” Nick said. His eyes melted into puppy eyes.
“Nick, please don’t.”
“No, let me finished. I don’t want it to be a mistake,” he said. I thought he could hear my heart racing. I didn’t know what to say. “I just wanted to tell you…” Before he could finish, I pulled him in close and kissed him.
As my lips began to part from his I felt him start kissing me back, “I feel the same way.” We stood there and kissed until he pulled away.
“What happens now?” he asked. I looked at him and back to the house.
“It’s the start of a new summer and I guess this one will just be different,” I answered. He smiled at me and I smiled back. Together we headed back to the house, our hands tied together.
This wasn’t going to be a normal summer like the others, but I didn’t mind. When we got back to the house I looked at the sign hanging on the porch. “Make every summer count.” With that thought in my mind I made that same promise to myself.

I've tried writing this a million times and it took me forever how to end it with how I imaged it

on Dec. 12 2013 at 2:49 pm
Tabitha1233 PLATINUM, Tucson, Arizona

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Very good story!