Old Love | Teen Ink

Old Love

By HearMe BRONZE, Bremen, Indiana
HearMe BRONZE, Bremen, Indiana

A friend is someone who knows your song as well as you do, and can sing it back when you forget the words.

They had made a promise that they would meet again someday. That day she promised him that they would see each other again. She promised him that someday, she would see him again. He held her hand as she laid on her death bed. She opened and closed her mouth, trying to speak. She closed her eyes and her breathing slowed a bit.

After a while she opened her eyes again. She used all the energy she could muster to smile at him. She opened her mouth once more. This time, she spoke.

“I love you, Lawrence. See you up there,” she whispered. Her voice was scratchy. She coughed.

“I love you too Macy,” he barely got the words out. A tear rolled down his cheek. He grasped her hands with his and kissed them.

“Don't cry. I'll see... you...” she uttered her last words and she was gone. He had lived a happy 60 years with her as his wife. He remembered the day she died. The day he thought that everything had just left him. The day that he thought he would never get over. He remembered how she lived until she got almost every one of her last words out.

Now he was sitting here in the bed at the hospital. He had no way of telling anyone what he had to say. No one listened. So he gathered his strength and grabbed the notebook and pen that were on the desk beside him. He flipped open to the first page, and started writing. His fragile hands were moving swiftly on the paper as he wrote to her. He wrote to his love, who had left him a year before.

He wrote to her how he loved her and how he would see her very soon. He wrote about their kids. Their three kids who had kids, and grandkids of their own. He wrote about everything they loved to do together. The pen moved slower as he came to the part where he wrote about how he missed her. He told her that it would not be much longer. That he was preparing to see her any minute. He finally put the pen and notebook back on the desk. He turned to look out his window.

“My dear, it's time you came to live with me,” she said. Her voice in his head visited him again. She was alive and beautiful in the picture that formed in his mind. He smiled and nodded.

“I'm coming,” he whispered. The monitors went flat. His oxygen was no longer needed. He had left to see his Macy. They walked in eternity together. The happy old couple.

HearMe BRONZE said...
on Nov. 7 2013 at 8:34 am
HearMe BRONZE, Bremen, Indiana

Thank you SO much! 

Nellie7 said...
So adorable! Such true and pure love! Amazing writing!!