A boy named Chord | Teen Ink

A boy named Chord

By KaleJoshuaa SILVER, Ashland, Kansas
KaleJoshuaa SILVER, Ashland, Kansas

"A fellow ought to shine on."

Chord didn't choose his name. That's common sense. Of course his parents decided to name him that. It was a total curse. Being named after a group of notes being simultaneously in music was not a cool thing, at least not during his childhood. Kids can be really mean. A name should not define a person, but that never mattered to those young children. He was never even good at playing a musical instrument, so he never saw the point in such a silly name, but as he grew older.. He saw the joys of something special.

It was right around his sophomore year that he started loving it. People quit making fun of it, and started talking to him just because of it. After so long, he realized that he might help to actually know how to play the piano, seeing as the piano is known for using chords. It came quickly to him, as if it were meant to be. Chord soon became dedicated to that old Wurlitzer that his mother bought for him when he was 10. Every day and every night you could find that boy composing music, writing symphonies and concertos, as if it was what he was born to do. But he never found a true inspiration to write these songs for. That was, until he met her.

Her name was Love. (I know, strange name. But hey, Chord is too.) The second he saw that beautiful smile, he knew he had someone to write for. But he soon found himself unable to write anything that didn't sound dissonant. How could he ever express himself without a song? This went on for two years. Senior year rolled around, and nothing came out. That was, until he looked to Billy Joel for help. The man was a genius. Tell Her About It soon came to Chords musically trained ears, and knew what he had to do.

He did what the song said the next day after working up the courage to finally talk to her. After his quick introduction, he went into explaining his story. He told her all about it, and how he wasn't able to even put together a few simple chords to find something that sounded harmonious. After those short words, Love started to cry... The young girl shed her tears right in front of Chord. At first, he had no idea what to say. And truthfully, he didn't say a thing. It was Love who started talking.

She told him all about it. Her life… How her dad had left her mom, and how even her mother left Love. She was living with her grandparents now. And thanks to the cruel things her parents did, she found herself unable to feel the emotion which was her name. This was when Chord started to weep as well, but she immediately wiped his tears away. She said she would not stand for that, because she now could love. She knew it was true the second he started to talk to her. Chord was once again speechless, but so was she. So they did the same thing all speechless people who are in love do. They kissed.

Chord finally found true inspiration. That inspiration was Love. He needed to be loved by a girl by a special name just like his to find it. Chord went home that night and wrote a whole Sonata for that girl. He entitled it In The Name of Love. He knew it was cheesy, but he didn't care. He told her all about it. He had fallen in love, not only with this girl, but with his name. It was who he was, and that girl loved him for just that. And he, he was Chord.

KaleJoshuaa SILVER, Ashland, Kansas

"A fellow ought to shine on."

Thank you so much! I love metaphors, so this was one of my favorite articles to write. I'm glad you enjoyed it! (:

on Sep. 22 2013 at 10:54 am
Nannette_25 GOLD, McDonough, Georgia

"I wanted to lie down with those words and rise up speaking a new language"

I just love that he fell in love with Love. Metaphors everywhere.