The Happiest Moment | Teen Ink

The Happiest Moment

August 26, 2013
By sarajrich SILVER, Bangkok, Other
sarajrich SILVER, Bangkok, Other
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you face towards the sun, your shadows will always fall behind you.


His scent carried hundreds of memories that I thought I’d once forgotten. As I took a breath of that oh-so familiar air, my heart felt warm. I glanced at myself in a mirror – hair unwashed, face tired from the hours of flying…but I didn’t care. Up the stairs, take a right turn, through to his bedroom door. I placed my hand on the handle. One last deep breath to calm my nerves. I opened it very slowly, in case he was asleep. He was. Immediately, my eyes filled with tears. I was speechless as I approached the bed. I couldn’t find any words – what does one say after so many months of being apart?

“Hey. Hey, you.” I managed to squeak, smiling brighter and bigger than I had smiled all year.

He stirred and lifted his head up in confusion. When he turned and saw me, his entire face just lit up. I will never forget that look in his eyes. I’m not sure what he was thinking; I never asked. But perhaps I had the same look in my eyes. Surprise, hope, happiness, relief…love. In less than a second he pulled me close and we both started crying softly, hugging each other tightly, trying to get as close as possible so we could feel each others’ bodies for the first time in so long.

Every so often we’d pause and simply look at each other, tearful and smiling, and all at once we’d pull each other close again, half laughing and half crying. Crying out of relief and out of regret, crying for all the time we lost being apart, crying for the fact that we were together again, crying because we were just so…happy. We were a bundle of messy perfection. Just two people so in love that no words were necessary…no words existed…to express everything we wanted to say.

I’m so happy you’re here.

I can’t believe this is happening.

I’m so sorry I left you.

I missed you so much.

I love you, more than anything.

I love you too.