Weekend of Dreams | Teen Ink

Weekend of Dreams

By TheJillanaS SILVER, Wayne, New Jersey
TheJillanaS SILVER, Wayne, New Jersey

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean

“Hey Shoshanah! I wanted to invite you this weekend to my home, so you can meet my parents and family members, do you think you can make it?” Parker asked.

“Yeah, I can Parker!” I replied, in a bubbly manner.

“Alright, I’ll see you this weekend, really looking forward to it!” Parker exclaimed.

“Can’t wait Gray! Bye!” I concluded calling him by the nickname I gave him a few summers ago, which is Gray.

As I ended the call on my iPhone, I couldn't help but blush. I had always fancied Parker, I thought he was handsome and had a charismatic personality. I realized I’d need a few presentable outfits while I spend the weekend at his house. I dashed to my closet and eagerly picked out the cutest things I owned; 2 pairs of Guess jeans, a pair of All Saints leggings, tops from Free People, Urban Outfitters and even J.Crew. I pulled out everything that looked classy but also had a modern twist. I thought I was finished, but I still had to pack pajamas, intimates, socks and shoes. I packed as if I was going for a month, but in reality, I only packed a carry on which was just enough. I pulled my carry on down the stairs when I was all packed up. Even though it was Tuesday, I was still so excited to finally see Parker, after like two months!

I sat on the sectional couch in my family room, watched TV, played on my phone and did some reading, while I waited for my mom and step dad to get home.

My step dad was the first one home that day and as soon as he saw the little carry on near the entry foyer, he apparently knew why I packed.

“I take it Parker called and asked you over to Greenwich this weekend, love?” Sharaz(my step dad) asked.

“How’d you know?” I replied, also with a question.

“Mr. Grayson called and asked me for my permission, before Parker called you, of course I said yes; I expect you to behave and remember your values.” Sharaz replied in his fatherly voice.

“I’m always on my best behaviour, that’s not something you need to be worried about, I’ll have my phone and everything, don’t worry!” I reassured.

My step dad walked into the study and I continued to wait for my mom; I knew when she arrived home, we’d have the ‘girl’ chats!

Just as I anticipated, my mom walked in the front door, looking satisfied as usual. I ran up to her, all bubbly and excited; she just smirked at me.

“So I heard Parker invited you over this weekend Shoshanah?” my mom asked, clearly amused with herself.

“MOM. I WAS ELATED!” I practically screamed.

“Honey, I know, you’re absolutely infatuated with Parker! I trust you’ll have a great time!” my mom also responded in high spirits.

As the week continued, I was getting more and more excited for Friday.
Finally, Friday evening came and I was on my way to Greenwich, CT with my parents. Luckily, my parents were very open to the Grayson’s so they trusted them with me; they stayed at the Mohegun Sun Resort in Uncasville, CT about a 1.5hrs away.

At last, we approached the Grayson Manor, as Mrs. Grayson called her beautiful home. My parents and I got out of our car and walked to the front door, without ringing the bell, Parker and his dad, Mr. Grayson, excitedly let us in and immediately offered us something to drink, how kind? Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mrs. Grayson outside on her patio, but she did not bother to acknowledge us. Mr. Grayson, being the compassionate man he is, led us outside to the patio where we greeted Mrs. Grayson; I guess he felt bad that his wife did not say hello when we were in her home. After the brief greetings with Mrs. Grayson, my parents left. A few minutes after they drove off, Parker lead me out the front of his home, as we walked out the gated manor, Parker and I just caught up on everything in our lives that happened over the two months. He told me of his successful football season so far, his stellar grades and how excited he was to get his learners permit. I told him about freshman year so far and how excited I was to start SDA. Also, I told him that I was recommended for a People to People student ambassadors’ trip, going to Italy, France and Spain.

“Oh wow! That’s great Shoshanah!” he said sounding very pleased with my accomplishments so far.

“Haha, thank you Parker! It means a lot to always have your support!” I replied.

Parker and I passed a Carvel, Parker, being himself, obviously had to walk in and purchase a chocolate ice cream cone with rainbow sprinkles.

“Shoshanah, the usual for you?” Parker asked, knowing my favourite ice cream combination; soft serve vanilla ice cream with rainbow sprinkles.

“Yes!” I replied.

As we exited Carvel, with our ice cream cones in hand, Parker did the most improbable thing.
“Shoshanah, I was wondering if you’d like to go out sometime. Like on a date? While you’re here visiting and stuff…” Parker asked awkwardly while focusing on some distant ad.

My brain sort of stopped processing everything for a few seconds until I finally caught on.
“YES! EHMAHGAWSH PARKER! YESYESYES!” I cheered semi-loudly.

Parker embraced me in a bear hug and then we continued to walk back to his home, hand in hand.

As Parker opened up his front door, he screamed “SHE SAID YES.”

I just laughed and blushed a deep crimson red, as his dad quickly walked down the stairs, and his mother cascading down the stairs, looking beautiful, but those cold and sharp eyes stared at me like daggers. The last time I saw Mrs. Grayson she was never this hostile towards me. Being the optimistic person I am, I brushed it off. I felt like Parker and Mr. Grayson also noticed her harsh ways towards me.

Parker and his dad went into their family theatre to get something, while his mother and I stood there awkwardly, exchanging very small smiles, mine were not forced, but her smiles to me were so beyond fake.

I saw Parker walking towards me holding a bouquet of 19 roses and a gigantic teddy bear, “Shoshanah, these are for you…I bought you 19 roses because it’s October 19th, the day I asked you out and a teddy bear so you can always remember the bear hug I gave you, when you leave back to Jersey…” He said in the sweetest voice possible.

“Oh my gosh! Parker, you are too sweet! I really appreciate this!” I hugged him.

I actually could not believe my ears after, I actually heard his mother scoff. I could not believe that a grown woman could have stooped that low. I’m assuming Parker heard, because he said ‘let’s get your stuff unpacked and maybe talk some more…’ in a very jagged tone, very different from the last tone he used.

I followed Parker up the stairs and into his bedroom, where I saw the bed was made for me and his air mattress on the floor. We unpacked most of my things, and laid down. We talked for hours until he fell asleep. That night, I heard loud and very clear, his mother thinks I am not good enough for Parker. She said, ‘Shoshanah does not have the same values as us, she is not destined to be a part of this family.’ Might I add, we’re 14 & 15 years old, she’s jumping onto many different levels. After I heard her cruel words, I cried just a little and quietly texted my mom to pick me up the next morning.

When Parker woke up, I was already up and packing my stuff to go with my parents.

“Shoshanah, what? Where are you going?” Parker asked in a crazy unsure manner.

“A family thing came up, I have to leave, I am so sorry Parker…” I replied, my voice very hoarse, from the additional crying.

Parker did not buy my words for a second, but he did not argue. He swiftly walked out the door and I walked out with my phone in hand and everything else in my carry on.

As my parents walked up the door, they did not dare step in; mom took my things to the car. My step dad shook hands with Mr. Grayson and said ‘thank you.’

“Shoshanah, take these please…still on for that date alright…” Parker said in a hopeful tone, pushing his gifts into my arms and giving me one last hug.

I said bye to everyone, including his mother and made my way to the backseat of my parents’ car, where I saw I had two new text messages. The first one read, ‘I know the truth, I’m so sorry about my mom…’ and the second, ‘I should have said something to her, I’m so sorry…’ both from Parker.
On my way home, I reflected on all of the memories Parker and I made over the summers and getaways together. I realized, those moments can never really come back, although we might want it to, we’re just too ‘different.’ I handled something no child should ever have to endure, I did it in a mature fashion and realized, life isn't always what it seems, maybe some things are just dreams, just like this weekend, a weekend of dreams.