No Such Thing As Perfect | Teen Ink

No Such Thing As Perfect

By @ReasonsForJoy GOLD, Hingham, Massachusetts
@ReasonsForJoy GOLD, Hingham, Massachusetts

"Hate? Hate is easy. But love... Love is hard."

“So I’ll see you tomorrow then?” I heard Mac’s voice through the phone against my ear as my thumb endlessly flipped through stations.
“Of Course,” I chorused.
“Alright goodnight love you Amber,” Mac said.
“Love you too, night Mac,” I hung up the phone and breathed out a sigh of pure pleasure. How had my life gotten this perfect? Growing up as a child my parents always said that there was not such thing as perfect. That you could always improve. But I had finally proved them wrong. My life was perfect right now at this moment. I was hopelessly in love with Mac the high school quarterback and he was head over heals as well. I’m pulled from my thoughts by the vibration of my phone.
Hey A what’s up? U doing anything tomorrow? - Kyle
Sry Ky Im hanging out with Mac after class- A
Oh np Ill c u in class- Kyle
Yeah c ya in chem.- A
Not only did I have a perfect boyfriend but a great friend as well. Things could not get any better.

2:11
2:12
2:13
The minute hand soundlessly trudged along as Mr. Vertoran continued with his lecture.
2:14
2:15
I collect my books as the final bell rang. I tried to rush home to start the history paper that is due tomorrow. My freedom out the gate was right in front of me as Kyle walked in front of me.
“Hey,” Kyle said. Kyle was cute no doubt, his shoulders slightly smaller than Mac’s. Striking green eyes, which accommodated his tan skin. His best quality is his smile. Even though he never had braces they were perfectly straight.
“Hello anyone in their?” Kyle waved his hands in front of my face.
“Oh sorry, guess I was zoning out.” I said realizing I had been staring right at his lips for the past ten seconds.
“I thought you were hanging out with Mac?” He said looking around for Mac.
“Na I got a paper that I’ve been leaving till the last minute. So I better get going,” I said turning away.
“Bye Amber I’ll talk to you later,” He said. But I was already out the gate.

Two hours of looking at my computer wasn’t helping me get anywhere on this paper. By the time I had written and rewritten the first line about 15 times I figured I deserved a well-earned break. I grabbed my phone to see if there was a text from mac. I had sent him one when I got home apologizing for not seeing him today since I didn’t see him in class. No messages. I flipped to his number and called him. On the fourth ring a female answered the phone.
“Hello? I’m looking for Mac, did I get the wrong number?” I asked being flustered by the surprise girl.
“Yeah he’s here.” “Honey there’s a girl on the phone for you.” She called away from the phone.
I ended the call before he answered. Who was the girl? And what was she doing at Macs apartment? More importantly why had she called him honey?
I grabbed my keys and was out the door before I could dread on the answer.

Mac lived only four minutes from my house. I tried to not think as I raced down the road. Maybe it was a relative, a distant cousin maybe? But whose cousin calls them honey? I was panicking as I made my way to the door of his apartment building. Mac never liked his parents so on his eighteenth birthday he finally could escape and get a place of his own. The elevator opened on the third floor and I stepped out. As I slowly approached Mac’s door I forced myself to take a deep breath. I blew out and knocked. I heard a female call that she got it. I sucked in my breath when I saw her. As soon as I saw her face I recognized her; she was my chemistry partner last year, Mary Garbet was here name. I took in the rest of her, my eyes almost popping out of my scull. She wore one of Macs favorite t-shirts along with only here underwear.
“Babe are you coming back to bead?” I heard Macs voice. I stopped breathing feeling as though I would pass out, but my vision didn’t go black. I pushed by Mary and ran into Macs apartment. There lying on his bed was Mac. I took the situation, Mary in his t-shirt, Mac with no shirt in bed waiting for her. He was cheating on me!
“What the f*** Mac!?” I screeched.
He looked confused for a second probably wondering how he managed to get caught.
“Amber…” He whispered.
I couldn’t take it I couldn’t bear this I ran for the door, “We are done Mac I never want to see you again!” I screamed and slammed the door behind me.

Getting back to my house was a blur. I didn’t remember driving home, or unlocking the door all I remembered was what I saw, Mac. Then the tears came, as water hit the floor I heard someone knock at my door. For a second I thought it was Mac and couldn’t wait to yell at him but when I looked out the peephole it was Kyle.
“What are you doing here Kyle?” I said trying not to snuffle.
“I came over to give you this book I think it will help with the paper,” Said Kyle.
I opened the door slowly the moment Kyle saw my red puffy eyes he moved into the room closing the door.
“Amber, what’s wrong?” He said hesitantly.
I didn’t want to talk now; I could explain my tears later right now I just needed comfort. Kyle read my mind, he walk over to me and gathered me into a hug, “what ever it is it’s going to be okay.” I nodded.

I sat on my couch with Kyle beside me. He stayed silent when he comforted me but I could tell he wanted to know what put me in this state.
“ Mac,” I barley managed to choke out. “ He, He cheated on me.” I saw his eyes widen with shock.
“Are you sure amber?” He asked
I laughed harshly, “maybe Mary and him weren’t half naked in his apartment.
I saw the sympathy in his eyes, “I’m so sorry Amber.” Kyle moved closer to me and hugged me again. He pulled away slightly and looked at me with much more intensity and he had been a minute ago. Before I could ask why he was staring at me I found his lips on mine. I was shocked I pulled back just as his hand moved to my neck.
“God. I’m sorry Amber. I shouldn’t have done that. It’s just that you’ve got no idea how long I’ve been waiting for you to end it with Mac. That night two years ago when I got a flat tire on the way home and had to cancel our study session was the biggest mistake of my life,” He ranted. I remembered that night Kyle had canceled so I went to a club with my friend Kelly. That was the night I met Mac. Sure we had class together but he never knew I existed. That was the night I kissed him. That was the night he asked me to the spring dance. A week after he asked me out.
I took a deep breath, “Kyle if the night you had to cancel, the night that led to Mac’s and I’s relationship, was the biggest mistake of your life then…”
Kyle looked into my eyes, “Then I’m in love with you.”
My heart stopped for a full five seconds. Every worry I ever had that I might be attracted to Kyle when I was with Mac slipped away. He loved me and even more important I loved him. I ran into his arms and finally let him kiss me. Everything was okay everything was…perfect.

Then I woke up. What? Wait I was just with Kyle, how did I get here? I saw my phone and opened it to read the messages,
Morning my love- Mac
Hey want to get some coffee before class? - Kyle
I sucked in my breath as I saw the date on my phone… Yesterday… No today.
It was a dream. I could almost cry. Mac didn’t cheat on me and Kyle didn’t confess his love.
Hey I’m outside want to get some breakfast? - Mac
I threw on some clothes and brushed my teeth and hair. As I opened the car to the sight of Macs car I sighed. Mac smiled at me with his slightly crooked teeth as I got in the car. My parents were right, there really is no such thing as perfect.

Unless we change things when we have the chance, perfect can only be in our dreams.

on Aug. 8 2013 at 11:20 am
NovemberBorn SILVER, Chesapeake, Virginia
Not bad. Slightly confusing, but not bad.