Jake & Katherine | Teen Ink

Jake & Katherine

By paddycait BRONZE, Wagoner, Oklahoma
paddycait BRONZE, Wagoner, Oklahoma

Christ, the solid rock I stand. All other ground is sinking sand.

Jake reminisces on his high school fling that only lasted a short while, yet he knows there was something more there, that should've never ended. Keep watch for the next chapters, I'll post them periodically. Chapter 1: Reminscing On the morning of January 27, 1982, a little more than two years after he graduated high school, Jake Ryan stood in the door way of his apartment, watching the snow fall with the sun blooming in the background. Before him was the main highway, being run by people on their daily commute to work. You could almost see the hurry and rush just by watching the cars race past each other. Jake's head began to ache.
He needed his morning coffee. A little energy was all he needed to get his day started. He had a class in an hour, and was in no hurry to make an appearance. He had three classes today, then would spend the rest of his evening behind a counter, checking people in and out of the local hotel. He wouldn't have personally chosen this job if he had any other choice, but no where else in the town seemed to be hiring last year when he lost his first college job. When the hotel wasn't busy-the majority of the time-he spent his time paying bills, applying for scholarships, adding finishing touches to his homework at the last minute. He didn't particularly like having to deal with all things of the real world, but he couldn't spend another day in that town, let alone years. He was just going to have to grow up and handle life on his own.
Jake didn't date much. He was the talk of the town, ladies man back in North Carolina but along with his bad boy image and appealing personality, things had changed. Things were different being in a big city, like he figured they would be. He hadn't had a date since the week before he graduated, and with the way it went, he wasn't interested in anymore dates.
Jake had gone to school with Katherine all of his life. They wouldn't call each other strangers, but they by no means knew each other. They hung around the same crowd through all of high school. She was the quieter one of the group, spoke only when spoken to, had a softer style to her. Jake was the guy all the ladies followed around. He was the ladies man of the town and even had the "bad boy" act. Jake and Katherine were the type of people who never got along in the crowd, but alone, they clicked.
It was two weeks before graduation and they were all at the local diner. Half Jake's guy friends were drunk but he had to go home to his parents, so he avoided the alcohol. Typically, the girls in the group wouldn't drink. They may give into a little peer pressure once in a while, but it wasn't as regular for them as it was for the guys. Jake was getting annoyed by his drunken buddies, realizing it's not as fun when you're the sober one. He decided he'd get a milkshake and then head out.
"What can I get for you?" The waiter seemed to be a little too cheery for being at work on a Friday night.
"Strawberry Shake, please."
"Make that two."
Jake turned around to see Katherine taking a seat next to him.
"Oh, hey Kat. I didn't see you there."
"You never seem to."
"What?"
"Hm? Nothing."
Jake couldn't help but wonder what made her think to talk to him this night, when they've barely spoken since the fourth grade.
"Not having as much fun being on the sober side of the 'good time'?"
"Not quite.. They're really not as funny as they are with a couple beers in you." They both let out a small chuckle and grin.
"Now you see it from the ladies views."
"Yeah I guess.."
They got their shakes and spent a few minutes making small talk, realizing how much they actual don't know about each other. After they finally made it into a real conversation, Jake decided it was time to head out. He'd had enough of the drunk yelling and laughing.
"I think I'm going to head out. Not sure where I'll go, but anywhere is better than here listening to this."
"Oh, okay. I'll see you next week. Last week of high school, ya know!"
Jake grinned, "yeah.. it is."
He turned to leave, then had a spur of the moment idea.
"How would you like to come with me? We can just go for a drive or go to the drive in or something."
She turned, in shock, and their eyes met. She noticed his nervous, crooked grin. She figured he was trying to figure why he just asked her that.
"I might like that."
"Cool", he said. He knew he sounded like a total goon, but he didn't know what else to say. He wasn't even sure what got into him.
They spent two hours out just driving from place to place around town, telling their stories from junior high and their first years of high school, and about what their plans were after they graduate. All Jake could think about the rest of the weekend was how he never noticed things about Kat. Things that should be noticed. Things like the way her blonde hair had red tints to it, or how pretty her smile was when she didn't think anyone was looking, or how lovely she smelt. It was like a soft coconut, that made him think of a peaceful beach somewhere. He couldn't help be wonder how he'd never paid much attention to her. Now, he wished he would have.
On Monday, Jake unknowingly looked for her blonde hair in every crowd. He couldn't believe, the day he actually wanted to see her, he couldn't find her anywhere. It was sixth period and he decided to give up. She must not be at school today. The bell rung and as he was at his locked about to head to the football field, he heard her soft spoken voice. He turned and saw her glance over at him. He immediately began walking over to her.
"Hey, Jake!"
"Hey Kat.. Uh.. How was your day?" He realized he wasn't sure why he looked for her all day or walked over to her, because he had no clue what to say or if she was interested in talking. He didn't even know if he was completely interested in talking.
Kat laughed, "My day was good. I'm just so ready to get out of this school.. Four more days!"
"Ha, yeah.."
"How was your day?"
"It was real good.."
They both grinned and Kat gave him a look like "is that all you wanted to say?" then went to turn and walk away.
"Wait, Kat! Would you mind hanging out? Like, tomorrow night?" He was talking slow and wasn't sure himself what word would come out next.
Kat grinned, "I'd like that."
"Cool.. I'll pick you up at seven?"
"Sounds good Jake."
The next day at school, they saw each other a few times and did nothing but grin and keep walking. They sat closer to each other at lunch, with the group. They were actually acknowledging each other. Jake went home after school and spent entirely too long thinking and planning what to wear and what they would do. He actually hadn't planned where they would eat or what they would do after. Usually, he had other ways to plan. He planned accordingly to get out of the restaurant quicker, to end all the talking, and just get somewhere alone. He usually took the girl to a place that got your food quickly, and you could eat fast. This was different. He liked talking with Katherine. He actually hadn't even considered getting her alone to do anything, maybe just to be able to talk in quiet. Jake didn't know how to handle the situation or what to do with himself. What was he thinking?
Six thirty came fast, and it was time to go pick up Kat. Jake tried on at least four different outfits, ranging from a suit and tie, all the way to sweats. He settled in the middle, for a more casual look, of his nicest dark wash jeans and a light grey v-neck. He also decided on it being a spur of the moment thing, and just go where he thought of first while driving.
When he showed up to Kat's house, he rung the doorbell and he heard Kat's voice, "come in, Jake!" When he walked in, her dad entered from the kitchen and shook his hand. He seemed very polite, maybe a little on edge about Jake taking Kat out. Kat came downstairs in tight black jeans and a light blue blouse. Jake couldn't believe how beautiful he thought she was. It wasn't a hotness or a sexual attraction, he just couldn't get over her true beauty. How had he never noticed this before?
"Hey.. Kat." Jake managed to spit out.
"Hey Jake! You look nice."
"Thanks, but Kat.. You look absolutely beautiful.." They shared a moment of silence before she softly thanked him.
"So where are we going?" She asked, when they got in the car.
"I can't tell you."
"Well, why not? I'll find out sooner or later."
"Its a surprise."
"Oh no, you're going to rape me and kill me, aren't you? That's what your plan is.. I should've known.", She said playfully.
"That's the plan." They both gave a teasing grin. He couldn't help but think about how sex was seriously the last thing on his mind with her.
He took her out to one of the nicest restaurants in town, where they shared a mean and laughed and talked for nearly two hours. They then decided to visit the local bowling alley. This was strange, considering the only people who went to the bowling alley in town were the elderly people who considered themselves pros, but were clearly amateurs. However, they had a lane next to a younger couple, maybe a few years older than they. Around eleven, the alley had to close down. They spent nearly half their time there not bowling, just sitting and talking. It amazed Kat how much Jake could actually hold intellectual conversation. He surprised her by being someone she never pinned him to be. They sat in Kat's driveway for quite some time, not even talking much. They just weren't quite ready to say goodnight. They eventually did, however.
"Well.. goodnight.."
Goodnight, Kat. I had an amazing time tonight."
"So did I. We should definitely do this again."
They slowly leaned in, and with their lips just close enough to hold a paper between them, he said "goodnight..". And Kat got out, and went inside. He sat in his car a moment longer, questioning himself. In shock, himself, about who he was tonight. He was himself..
And that was the end of it. After that night, they finished out their last week of high school, barely talking at school, and left the town, never speaking again.

This is the first piece I've written other than just little ramblings. I plan on making it into a full book. Please leave criticism/reviews!

ramfthomas4 PLATINUM, South Bend, Indiana

“If the present world go astray, the cause is in you, in you it is to be sought.”
― Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy

aaaaaaaw. that was so cute. :)