My Crazy Girlfriend | Teen Ink

My Crazy Girlfriend

By alpacalypse SILVER, Austin, Texas
alpacalypse SILVER, Austin, Texas

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Unknown

“Hello? Is everyone listening?”
I froze. What could she possibly be doing over the school intercom? She can't be announcing that we're- no, she wouldn't do that.
“This is Jasmine Harris and I'd just like to tell everyone that me and Joey Dennis got together over the phone the other day.”
She did it.
“Oh god, how could she do this to me?” I muttered under my breath, slamming my head into my desk in shame as my classmates laughed around me. At me.
“Thank you.”
My girlfriend said this in french, which she speaks fluently unlike everyone else in this school. The only reason I understood was because she had taught me some french before we started going out.
“Very sorry for the inconvenience everybody. Now back to our usual schedule, I will be playing Beethoven,” Said our regular DJ who had probably just retrieved the mic from Jaz as everyone groaned around me.
“What the heck was she thinking?” I muttered, my head still on my desk.

“What the heck were you trying to pull back there?” I yelled as soon as we were out of school property later as we were walking home.
It was warm and summery, although it was still April.
“Well, Katie told me that normal girlfriends tell everyone who they are together with, and I didn't want to walk around the entire school telling every person that we were together so I thought it might be a little easier to well... announce it on the intercom,” I watched as Jaz pulled her straight, jet black hair nervously, the strip that had been dyed violet was almost hidden by her purple hoodie that she always wore with her dark skinny jeans and black converse.
“Well now thanks to you the whole school thinks I'm dating a lazy dork!”
“Why do you care what the school thinks? Why don't you hold your own opinion higher than others? If you're going to be like this then why are you even dating me?”
I looked away from the look of betrayal in her eyes.
“I like you, okay, but I'd prefer it if you didn't embarrass me in front of the entire school.”
“So the fact that we're together is embarrassing?”
“No! It's just... you announced it on the freaking intercom, Jaz. Normal girlfriends don't do that.”
“Then maybe I'm not normal. Are you sure you still want to date me if I'm not normal Joey? Do you want to break up with me just because I got excited and wanted the whole school to know? Is there something wrong with that?”
“No... Jaz...” I brushed my hand through the short strands of my hair nervously.
She was stressing me out. I didn't know what to do, what to say. This was all new to me and I said so.
“Well it's all new to me too Joey! The guy I've liked since first grade just told me he likes me back, and now we're dating. I haven't had any time for other guys. You're the only one.”
I glanced at her.
Tears were beginning to fall down her cheeks, smudging her mascara.
She hardly ever wore makeup. She really was excited. She had probably worn it just for me.
I suddenly felt very special. My girlfriend was wearing makeup for me. Just for me.
“Jasmine. I really do love you.”
I don't know what came over me but suddenly I was moving closer to her, then I was holding her in my arms, then we were...kissing.
“Joey?” Jasmine's voice was soft and quiet as she looked up at me.
“Yeah?” I asked.
“I love you too,” she said with a bright smile. It seemed to light up my world, wipe away every upset and angry feeling left in my body.
I laughed happily, “I'm glad.”

It was interesting to write from the opposite gender's point of view. This was also my first story with a romance/teen type genre so it was fun to write something like this and play around with it.

on May. 7 2013 at 9:07 am
Good job, Kismet! I voted five stars--good luck getting into the magazine!