New Chapter | Teen Ink

New Chapter

March 27, 2013
By ANN97 PLATINUM, Palatine, Illinois
ANN97 PLATINUM, Palatine, Illinois
24 articles 13 photos 0 comments

I took off this morning with nothing really in mind. It was nice out so I got dressed, grabbed my IPod, and put on my roller blades. I went out into the early spring air and enjoyed the feel of warmth on my normally frostbitten skin. I have no idea where I will roller blade today. Usually, I just repeat circles around my neighborhood but a day like this feels too nice to waste on the expected.
As I start out I go down the street very familiar to me but one I have been neglecting lately. I pass by symmetrical rows of trees while I listen to the common tunes on my playlist that bring me joy. I am unconsciously guided through the town in a certain direction. My feet bring me to the park I had come to so often only a month ago. It seems like it has been an eternity since that last night I visited him there.
I sit down in my usual spot on the wooden bench facing the bronze colored sculpture of a young girl and boy holding hands. The girl has always reminded me of myself with her cute little dress and perfectly shaped braids. I study her face more intently than ever before and find the shy little girl I used to be not so long ago. I sometimes miss her but realize that things always have to change.
There’s a noise behind me; it sounds like someone is there. This is park is usually vacant so I am surprised when I hear the sound of footsteps. I don’t look over until the person sits down next to me on the bench. It’s him, like me he has been drawn to here even though our relationship has ended.
He looks at me with a smile on his face but pain hidden in his deep blue eyes. “You missed it here too?” He asks in a voice that makes it sound as if nothing has changed.
I look at my roller blades and am so glad they brought me here. “I just couldn’t stay away, I guess.” I cannot help but let a smile show.
“Me neither, I love it here you can be so-“
“Alone” The two of us say in unison and I blush. He takes my hand in his and I wonder why this ever ended.
I shake my head slowly, “Why?” I ask not really specifically to him or to anybody. I have not really thought about it much, but I have missed him so much this last month.
He stares deeply into my eyes, “I don’t even remember how it started.” He laughs in the lighthearted way that is his character.
I look down again, hiding from his affectionate eyes, “I do. I don’t care though anymore.” Some things have to change so others can bloom. Not always do stories end, but in fact a new chapter just begins. I wrap my arms around the back of his neck and we kiss.


The author's comments:
I love rollerblading so of course I had to include it in my story!