Of Crayons and Promises | Teen Ink

Of Crayons and Promises

By LilyT BRONZE, Randolph, Massachusetts
LilyT BRONZE, Randolph, Massachusetts

Eden and Aaron sat on the bench that was placed haphazardly in the middle of the park. It was a routine for them, a symbol of their friendship. Every day of the spring and into the summer ended with some ice cream and a walk through the park, staring at the clouds and enjoying the companionship. It had always been like this, and they wouldn't have it any other way.

Thinking back, Eden had always been a bit condescending; she knew she was brilliant, and she always had to win. Aaron on the other hand, stayed modest and level-headed, albeit they were both forgetful; he was the polar opposite of his best friend. They were a perfect scenario of best friends, sculpted from flaws and childhoods woven together. It was thanks to a crayon that they had the friendship they had today.

---

Eden rested her head on Aaron's shoulder, and hummed an unfamiliar tune as Aaron finished off his ice cream. He always finished after her, a habit he had picked up after she had punched him for eating faster than her in the first grade. It was completely reasonable to him, but to anyone else it would've seemed completely unnecessary. But, she was his best friend and he loved her. Eating ice cream a bit slower to see her smile victoriously had always been worth it. Aaron looked up when he noticed Eden had lifted her head up. She was studying his face intently. The brunette boy got up and tossed his cup into the trash.

“Why are you looking at me so seriously?” He asked.

“Do you remember how we met?” She asked, a small reminiscent smile on her face.

Aaron grinned and looked at her sharply. “Just because we're seniors now doesn't mean I've forgotten anything. I remember every detail.”

She huffed, but smiled warmly nonetheless, happy with his response. “Tell me the story, Aaron, if you really do remember so well.”

He rolled his eyes, but laughed good-naturedly. “Fine. I'll tell you the story.” It was when he looked at his watch he noticed something. Today marked the twelfth year of their friendship, and he had forgotten all about it.

“Why are you hesitating?” He heard Eden's voice pierce his thoughts.

“Twelve years.” Was all he gave in reply.

“You remember now? Tell me the story then.” She smiled patiently and waited for him to begin.

He shook his head softly and then looked at her with his warm chocolate-esque eyes. “I suppose I should start from the very beginning.” He cleared his throat and regained his composure, slinging his arm over her shoulder. “I was six years old when I moved to this town. There were two schools I could have attended, but my mother picked the one where I had the chance meeting with you. I was such a lucky boy, but I didn't know it then. I remember going to school the next day, shy as all hell and barely speaking to anyone. I was ridiculously shy. It got better the following week, and-”

Eden cut him off. “Skip ahead, narrator.” She made a face, but kept an amused expression on her face.

He laughed at her, but did as told. “Okay. It was the second week of school when I actually talked to you. The teacher, Ms. O'Conners, I think, had us draw pictures of something we loved. I drew a picture of my tree house, well I tried, and realized I didn't have any browns left to color it in with. I had asked the teacher for one, but she simply told me to borrow it from a peer.”

“No, I remember she said, 'I'll get you one, dear,' but you stalked off.” Eden butted in when Aaron paused.

Aaron raised an eyebrow. “Nope, not what happened. Let me finish. So I looked around, but everyone was working in partners, except you and I. Naturally, I'd go to you. When I asked to borrow the brown crayon, you answered simply. 'No.' And that was that. You told me that I would either steal or break it, so like any good mannered boy; I grabbed my drawing and slammed it onto your table. I replied that you could watch me color, and you relented.”

Eden whacked Aaron on the head. “This is for the next part.” She said, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I colored in my tree house-” Aaron was cut off once more.

“More like scribbled.” Eden scoffed.

Aaron eyed her, but continued anyway. “Like I was saying… I colored it in as best as I could, but before I could finish, the brown crayon snapped in half. I tried to apologize, but you gave me this intense death glare. I did what any six year old would have done. I ran for the hills.”

She bonked him on the head again, but grinned afterwards. “This is my favorite part.”

Aaron only nodded his head. He was happy he was making his best friend happy; sentimental moments like these ones came up every so often, and he tried to grasp onto them, afraid to grow old and apart too fast. “You chased me all around, until my shoelace came undone and I tripped. I fell flat on my face and you stood there, laughing. Your face was red, and your legs were shaking.” Aaron paused, awaiting Eden's response.

“That is so not how it happened.” She turned away from him, throwing his arms off of her shoulders. “I should have told the story.” She mumbled.

Aaron flung his arms back around her shoulders, ignoring her struggle to remove him and continued. “Okay so I exaggerated a bit. Whatever. So I fell, ha ha ha. You called it even from that, and you helped me up. You of course, being yourself, pushed me down again, and then called it even for real. I didn't let you help me up again. That's how we became friends. We gradually became best friends after that, and now you love me more than life. The end.” Aaron grinned and stood up, sticking his hand out. “It's time to go, Eden.”

Eden looked up and decided not to chastise Aaron for his closing argument. She grabbed his hand, but he suddenly pulled back. She fell back on the bench with a thud. Aaron held a smirk on his face.

“Now we're even.” And he ran.

“Aaron!” Eden called out as she ran off into the direction of their respective homes.

Their laughter echoed throughout the park.

---

When Eden met Austin, she thought it was love. She even called it love. Aaron called it infatuation, and he felt the need to strangle Austin every time he came near Eden. Aaron did not like the blond man, and it was obvious to everyone but Eden. She was blinded by the infatuation, as Aaron put it. It was not surprising to Aaron when halfway through their senior year Eden came running to him, crying one second and screaming profanities and pounding on his chest the next. When Aaron found out Austin had cheated on his best friend because she was allegedly “spending too little time with her boyfriend and too much time with her best friend,” he officially hated the guy. He did the most reasonable thing at the time, forsaking any level-headedness he had obtained in the years of friendship with Eden. He punched Luke square in the face, marring the pretty boy's face with a giant bruise and a broken nose. Eden was filled with gratitude for her best friend, but slapped him for being so reckless.

After that incident, Aaron noticed that Eden's smile never reached her eyes. And he was concerned. She stopped hanging out with him every day, and missed their rendezvous on the first day of spring. She blamed it on her busy schedule. Aaron knew better, but didn't want to bother her. He confronted her about it when he realized she couldn't get through it herself.

“I thought I really loved him.” She replied to him.

Aaron grimaced. “No, you didn't. It was a silly infatuation, trust me.”

Eden thrust her hands in her pocket, frustrated. “I don't care what you call it, but there were feelings involved, and he damaged something.”

He wanted to cry. For the first time in years, Aaron wanted to cry. His best friend was hurting and he couldn't figure out what to do. A pang of guilt nearly knocked his breath out. He remained silent.

Eden spoke up again. “I honestly believe I have no future with love. I should buy a cat. Or fifty.” It was meant to be a joke, but Eden choked on a sob.

Aaron closed the distance between the two and hugged her. “Don't say that. You're a catch, and you know it. You're brilliant and kind, beautiful in and out.” He stepped back.

She looked at him, teary eyes and all. “Yeah right. I don't believe you. No one will ever marry me.” Her confidence was shattering right in front of him.

He looked at her, unable to conjure up the words to fix this mess Luke had left behind. He let a small smile grace his lips. “I would marry you.” And he was serious.

Her face contorted into many emotions, but one was most evident. Shock filled her expression. “No. Seven or eight years from now you'll be happily starting your own family and I'll be alone with my fifty cats and no best friend.” She sniffled.

Aaron looked her in the eyes, deep brown eyes locked into blue. “I wouldn't allow it. Plus, you're a dog person. If no one marries you seven or eight years from now, I will. There's no doubt that I would.” Aaron's eyes never left hers.

“Do you really mean it?” Eden asked slowly, her tears stopping abruptly.

“Of course. You're my best friend, and that's the best kind of relationship. You are the most important person in my life right now.” He replied, his voice laced with truth and determination.

“And you, mine. In a sense, you just proposed to me, you know.” Eden laughed a genuine laugh and hugged her best friend.

“I sure did. And I meant every word.” He grinned when he saw her eyes light up when she smiled.

---

Eden was blind with jealousy, but her denial held her composure together. Latched on to her best friend was a rather voluptuous redheaded girl that she did not recognize, and her face was hidden. It was when the redhead looked up that Eden's jealousy faded away and turned into laughter. Peals of her chime like laughter echoed throughout the room, and Aaron only looked at her, bemused. The redheaded transvestite walked out in a huff.

“Don't you even dare ask. That cross-dressing man has been on my tail since I arrived at the office. I haven't seen one since I was put into a dorm with that one guy, Alex, or Alexis.” Aaron groaned.

“Okay, Aaron. Let's go before lunch is over.” Eden grabbed his arm and pulled him towards the restaurant across the street. Aaron only grinned and allowed himself to be pulled.

A few days later, Aaron found Eden in a compromising situation with his co-worker. He did not hesitate to punch the man in the face. After the misunderstanding was cleared up, Aaron apologized to his colleague, but he stalked off angrily. Eden just glared at her best friend. He was such an idiot sometimes.

Another co-worker stopped by to scope out the situation. “Why'd you get so mad?”

Aaron answered immediately. “I don't like it when other guys touch my fiancée.” His answer surprised all three people, but mostly Aaron himself.

The co-worker looked at Eden and Aaron, but left without another word.

“Fiancée, huh?” Eden smirked. “So after five years your memory hasn't deteriorated?”

“It was locked in my subconscious. And hey, I might be forgetful, but the important stuff never fails me.” He grinned. “We are the most special people in each other's lives as of yet, so technically what I said wasn't a lie.”

She nodded her head slowly. “I guess. But I will want a ring three years from now.” She laughed, and he joined in soon after.

Even with the tension and awkwardness of the pseudo-engagement, their playful banter and friendship stayed strong.

---

It was barely a shock to anyone when three years later; a shiny diamond imbedded in a white gold band was found perched on Eden's ring finger. Rather, it was a surprise it hadn't come sooner. Aaron and Eden were inseparable, aside from them working at two different jobs. A cozy, platonic friendship gradually became that of a relationship, and they simply slipped into it, avoiding any and all awkwardness.

---

Aaron sat on the bench across from the school where it all began. He sighed and looked at his watch. Eden was always late these days, whether it was because she had go dress shopping or it was because she was busy planning something else. He checked his watch one last time before standing up. Maybe she wasn't coming. Just as Aaron began walking towards his car, he heard someone call out his name.

“Oh my gosh. I'm sorry I'm so late Aaron. The fitting took longer than expected and Emma was running late and then they took forever to eat and umph-” She hurried to get her words across, but Aaron stopped her with a swift, chaste kiss on the lips.

“It's okay. It wasn't like I was cold. It is summer time, Eden.”

“I'm really sorry. But enough of that, let's go get some ice cream, Aar-bear.”

“Alright. Let's go get you some strawberry ice cream, Eden of the East.” He smirked.

“I loved that movie, so I don't care.” She winked at him and ran off towards the ice cream shop. Aaron chased after her and hugged her from behind. He lifted her up and spun her around, before carrying her bridal style the rest of the way.

The two arrived home, tired but full of mirth. The day ended fairly uneventful, with Eden falling asleep on Aaron's chest during a rather slow movie. He smiled in contentment. He was more than ready to marry his best friend.

---

Aaron was beyond nervous. He was jittery and his face was flushed. He knew he had nothing to worry about, and that's what worried him. His vow was memorized, he had checked to make sure his nephew had the rings, his grooms men were all set to go, and he was sure his bride to be was ready to marry him.

Saying Eden was nervous was an understatement. Everything about the wedding was in place, except for her mind. She couldn't wait to be married to her best friend and the man she loved, but she was nervous on how he felt. She couldn't rid herself of the feeling that he was settling because of a promise he made in high school, but she knew better. While wrapped in her thoughts, she didn't notice the door opening a crack.

“Eden?” Called out Aaron from behind the door.

“Gosh! Aaron you can't be here!” Eden yelled.

“I won't look, I promise. Just give me your hand, okay?” Aaron said reassuringly as he stuck his hand in between the door and its frame.

“Alright.” Eden walked over and grabbed his hand, sweaty palms and all.

“We're both nervous. I can tell. But I just wanted to come by and tell you that I love you, and I'm ready for this.” Aaron said quietly. He waited for a second before continuing. “I really do love you, in all the ways possible.”

Happy tears rolled down Eden's face and she smiled. “I'm ready and I love you, too. So let's do this.”

“I'll see you out there.” Aaron let go of the warmth that was his betrothed's hand and walked back.

---

Aaron's mouth was agape, and a pinkish hue covered his cheeks. He looked in awe as he watched Eden's father walk her down the aisle. He had never felt luckier than he did today. It was his wedding day; their wedding day. Eden's long, blonde hair fell in curls, framing her face and bringing out her eyes. He pulled himself together and smiled at her. He didn't even flinch when her father whispered noncommittal threats about protecting Eden. Aaron knew he always would.

The time came for vows to be made, and Aaron began.

“I met you when I was six. I broke your brown crayon, and then I tripped on my shoelace trying to escape your wrath.” Their family and friends laughed. “We became best friends. In our senior year, a jerk broke your heart. I promised then that I would marry you, considering I didn't want you to be a cat lady. I fell in love with you a few years later, maybe even before that; who knows? All I care about now is us. I love you, and by God do I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Even more time than I already do.” More laughter ensued from behind the two. “So I promise that I'll always love and care for you, Eden.” He finished with a smile, his hands still grasping hers.

“You were always quiet when we were kids. When you broke my crayon I was so mad, but I got over it because you fell. As we grew older, you stayed by my side as the most amazing best friend ever. I couldn't believe how lucky I was to have you. When I started getting jealous of cross-dressers and their crushes on you, I knew I had fallen for you. Long story short, I'm standing here across from my best friend, ready to spend forever together. I love you, Aaron.”

The priest smiled at the two. “I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride.” And kiss they did. Pulling apart soon after, Aaron carried Eden out bridal style as the church erupted in cheers and whistles.

There was never a doubt in anyone’s mind that Eden and Aaron would get their happy ending, and of course, they did.

This piece came about in a very unorthodox manner. After going through all the notes my best friend had left for me on my phone, I decided to start a story right then and there - directly on the IPhone notepad. It was finally moved to Word and revised, right into the final piece of work that it is now.

GotSoccer19 said...
GotSoccer19, Dallas, Texas

"A real athlete knows that there's no off-season."

I absolutely loved every word of that story. So beyond sweet. Wow. I don't even have words to describe that. Well done! :D