Ice Cream More Often | Teen Ink

Ice Cream More Often

February 27, 2013
By jennings.brooks SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
jennings.brooks SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
7 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney


The spring breeze floated in the air as Ellie walked down the winding trails feeling like she was floating on air. Three months ago if anyone had told her she would be holding hands with Sam Armstrong on a date in Central Park, she would have laughed in their face, yet blush a crimson red. Ellie had been thinking giddy thoughts ever since he grasped her hand when he kissed her hello. The sun radiated gently through the canopy of trees as they made their way past the duck pond in silence, just enjoying each other’s company. Ellie closed her eyes as Sam guided her along the paths worn into the park from the others who had taken this same route. Ellie opened her eyes as the shade of the tunnel they had just entered sucked away the warmth on her skin. They slowed their pace and lingered in the shade staring at their feet.
“So,” Sam said.
“So yourself,” Ellie responded with a hint of a giggle.
“ So,” Sam tried again. “Jake is having a party on Saturday. Do you want to go with me?” Sam asked with pleading eyes. Ellie sighed outwardly.
“I don’t know Sam. I mean I have a Spanish quiz on Tuesday and Calculus homework, plus we have that essay due next Friday, oh and don’t even get me started on that history project. I mean how in the world am I supposed to…” Ellie was cut off by Sam kissing her full on the lips and gently pressing her against the wall of the tunnel. She was surprised at first, but then she relaxed and without a moment to spare, let her lips melt into his. She closed her eyes and felt her stomach fill with the nervous butterflies she always had when she kissed Sam. They weren’t a bad kind of nervous. More like a comfortable kind of nervous. One that made her feel safe, yet made her adrenaline pump at an unnaturally fast speed, all at the same time. Ellie kept her eyes closed as Sam pulled away and pressed his forehead to hers.
“Please?” he whispered in her ear. Unable to control her body movements, Ellie slightly nodded her head up and down. Sam stepped away from her grasp with a look of satisfaction of his face. Ellie opened her eyes; a pout formed on her face. Sam chuckled as Ellie’s once innocent pout turned into a look of pure hatred for the trick.
“You cheated!” Ellie exclaimed.
“There were never any rules,” Sam said with a smirk. “You know you liked it,” Sam added making heat rise to Ellie’s cheeks.
“This is so not fair,” Ellie said exasperated. All Sam did was roll his eyes. “If I fail my junior year of high school it is all your fault.”
“So be it,” Sam said with a smile on his face, happy he had gotten his way, for once. “Is there anything I can do to turn that frown upside down?” Sam said in mock sympathy.
“Maybe,” Ellie said in a mysterious tone.
“Ice cream?”
“And?” Ellie hinted moving closer.
“A piggy-back ride home?”
“And?” Ellie prompted taking a step towards him again.
“And what?” Sam asked running out of things that could possibly please his ever so opinionative girlfriend.
“You’re so clueless sometimes,” Ellie whispered to him, as she was now standing right in front of him.
“What’s that supposed to mean?” Sam asked raising his eyebrow. Ellie responded by rolling her eyes and closing the gap between them by pressing her lips to his. They stood there like that for a while. Their lips pressed together, while Sam’s arms moved to wrap around Ellie’s waist and her hands entangled themselves with his hair. When they finally broke apart, they were both grinning. “Oh. That’s what you mean,” Sam said smiling down at Ellie. Ellie nodded her head and released her arms from Sam’s neck.
“But ice cream would still be great,” Ellie said looking up at Sam. Sam shook his head laughing silently to himself as he wrapped his right arm around Ellie’s waist.
“Why not,” Sam said as he kissed the top of Ellie’s head. They reached the end of the tunnel and felt the sun’s embrace once more. Walking away from the tunnel and towards the center of the park, Ellie thought, I might just have to get ice cream more often.


The author's comments:
A sequel to Utterly and Entirely Humiliated