Our Life, Our Journey, Our Precious Memories

On February 14th, 1956, I bought an ice cream soda from the local drug store down my street and then rushed out to leave. I wanted to head out quickly so I could make it to my job as a librarian at Angel’s Brook Elementary School. I was a twenty year old single woman who had the slightest clue to what my life would bring.

So it was fortunate that I met you.

Right before I left the drug store, you came up behind me and asked, “Will you pinch my arm so I can tell my friends that I’ve been touched by an angel?” That’s when our journey of memories began:

A first date at the movies watching the new adventure film.

A fifth anniversary at a French restaurant.

A proposal with a diamond ring.

Months of bridal preparation.

The big wedding ceremony and the first time I ever saw my father cry.

Honeymoon in Paris.

Our first house – baby blue behind a white picket fence.

Our first set of twins named Jasmine and Emily.

Late night feedings, constant crying (by us), and no sleep for weeks.

Our first pact to never have another baby.

Our third child named Ryan.

Our fourth child named Henry.

Our fifth child named Tiffany.

Our sixth child named Brian.

Our second pact to never have more children or else I’d go mad.

Pushing all of our children to go through college and finish with degrees.

Watching all of our kids become married, have their own house behind a white picket fence, and obtain much more children than they’d planned on.

Retiring from both of our jobs and enjoying the new position of being grandparents.

Your almost broken back after all sixteen grandchildren decided to jump from behind you at once when we visited them for Christmas.

Your decision to always wear football gear before you headed over to their houses during the holidays.

Our fiftieth wedding anniversary . . .

Oh, dear, our fiftieth wedding anniversary. My voice cracks whenever I think about that time.

On that day, you became sick and were hospitalized.

That’s when the fairytale we lived in began to deteriorate.

I visited you every day for six months.

The doctor said you were becoming more and more sickly. You would die after another month.

My cheeks were soaked in tears after every leave of the hospital.

The entire family came to see you. Another week was left for you to live.

But then that dreaded last day finally arrived. Even I had to come to terms with the fact that you weren’t going to live.

I woke up at three in the morning and stayed with you on your last day. We watched the Late Show with David Letterman and discussed how rude young folks were becoming in this day and age. We listened to Stevie Wonder to make us feel better. I want you to know that it was the best day we’d ever shared.

At 11:58:02 pm, you said you were starting to see the light. I wanted to join you, but it wasn’t my time. I wanted to go with you, but it wasn’t my ride. You said that you’d see me on the other side and it filled me with hope. I held your hand and said I didn’t want our life journey to end. But you said it was only just the beginning for us. Then you left me. Forever.

Every year on February 14th, I go to that local drug store that started it all. I buy the ice cream soda just like I did the first time we met. And whenever I go, I can hear the cheesy words of your voice say in my head, “Will you pinch my arm so I can tell my friends that I’ve been touched by an angel?”

I can’t wait to join you on the other side, Johnny. And start another lifetime with you.

I love you.

With all my heart,
Rachel

ramfthomas4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 10:00 pm:
This story is amazing! I think a everyone wants to have a relationship like that your characters have- at the very least, it's what I want.

OldYoungOneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:04 pm:
I liked the image of a fast paced life. I usually don't enjoy reading anything longer than a few stanzas but you kept my attention (I have little patience :/)

kmeepThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:07 am:
Really nice story. Love it!

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really good and I like the quick life that you portrayed :) this really moved me because my grandad just passed away after 2 months of being hospitalized so I understand how it feels :( but I think a little bit more emotion and extension of the paragraph where he passes away would make it better because you could explain how she would feel and how horrible it was, although you already imply it. :)

ZozeyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Beautiful, purly beautiful. Keep writing I love your stuff. I think at the end there could have a bit more emotion.

MorenSore said...
I thought it was an interesting out look on life. although im pretty sure that that was supposed to be a iced cream soda, and that she hadn't any idea what life was about to throw at her. P.S are you LDS because iv'e never met anyone insane enought to have six children unless they were LDS

In_Love_with_WritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:16 am :
Actually it is ice cream soda and I'm not LDS. Many people have had six children or even more in this day and age or in the past.

kmeepThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:24 am :
Ever heard of the Duggars?

Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:44 pm :
Just searched them now and whoa that's a whole lot of kids

Sparkle1popsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this so much, I like how its in kind of a bullet point format, like a map of teir life. I like how you mad his deat exactly at the end of that day. This is great work!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:51 am:
That was so sweet and beautiful. I could imagine both of them so well. This is truely a beautiful peice.

JunieSparrowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow.  This is a very poignant story.  You expressed the woman's love very well.  The flow from happy memories to sad memories was also very smooth.  Good job!

lucybrownThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is a beautiful piece.  I loved it.  You described their life together so well and I find your writing very touching and heart warming. 

grohr said...
Truly a beautiful piece. you are a fantastic writer!

aladine_98 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
With just a couple hundred words, you were able to sum up an entire lifetime... I could just see them growing older, and feel time passing them by. It was a heart warming story. Was it supposed to be a letter to him? I wasn't sure because of the ending. I've read all of your work so far, and you're very good! I'm glad I subscribed. :)

Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:02 am :
Oh, you are so sweet! Thanks very very much! I'm glad you subscribed. I'm getting that warm, tingly feeling I describe as pure happiness :) :)