Reader | Teen Ink

Reader

December 17, 2012
By SlightlyNHK SILVER, San Deigo, California
SlightlyNHK SILVER, San Deigo, California
6 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Dear Reader,

I’ve known you for quite some time. I don’t want to sound like a stalker or anything, I don’t want to frighten off the one person I admire most. No, you’re really something though. I can’t find the courage to say this to you in person. Hopefully my writing will catch your eye the way I know you’re prone to do. It’s the way my type can talk without fear, and feel courageous as a knight preparing to battle a troll. I spent all night wondering, no over thinking. I don’t know how to approach you, you’re so mysterious. There’s a mystic characteristic to your character I can’t ignore it draws me in wanting more. Sometimes when people don’t know a person, and when they over think about that person they become attached to them in a false reality. It’s unfair, I want to talk to you, have long debates on which is better, a green apple or a red. Personally I think green apples are nicer, but what do you think? Keep that thought in your head and goodnight.
With Fare Regards,
Your Writer
Dear Reader,

It’s raining tonight. Do you like rain? Oh I hope you do. The way rain drips down the window, and creating waves in air, it makes me so happy to experience. Tonight’s rain is especially exciting it’s pounding against the walls of my home, trying to say hello to me. My typewriter is cold, there isn’t much else to say, I wish you fare dreams.
With Fare Regards,
Your Writer
Dear Reader,

I decided to take a walk outside today, and I wondered if you liked taking unexpected walks in the morning. The morning dew rising inside our noses, it sounds so fun to experience with you. I know you’ll like to walk in the morning with me, because you’re that kind of person. Someone who enjoys the little things, the things people are too busy to notice in life. The wet smell of pavement is another thing people like you and me love. I walked quite a ways, about a mile or so. I found a road side stand for apples, and have you decided which is better yet? I couldn’t pick one out because you haven’t told me yet, I was afraid I’d pick the wrong one and you would’ve been displeased with my choice. Please tell me soon, I’ve started to crave apples but can’t choose.
With Fare Regards,
Your Writer
Dear Reader,

Today is hasn’t been the day I would’ve expected in my false reality. I’ve been rejected once again, I’m so sorry… I can’t seem to get a single piece of my writing out there so you can find me. Please don’t be mad, or saddened, I have to keep trying. I want to experience the rain with you soon.
With Fare Regards,
Your Writer
Dear Reader,

I can’t seem to stop over thinking. I’ve already smoked a few cigarettes to ease my stress, but they don’t help. Nothing is helping me easing this stress. Writing to you is the only option I have now. Please don’t get me wrong, I didn’t mean that in the way I don’t like writing to you, no. I love writing to you, you listen to me, and I hope you over think about me as I do about you. I decided to buy both green and red apples by the way. I walked to that road stand again this morning, and bought two. One red and one green. You should come and stop by, and we’ll split one apple in half. We’ll enjoy our half apples on an unexpected walk in the morning. We’ll have a big debate about which are better, red or green apples. You’ll laugh at my claims about how green are better, and I’ll smile with your laugh. We have to do this soon, before the rain season is at an end.
With Fare Regards,
Your Writer
Dear Reader,

I’ve finally done it! I finally got a piece of my writing out there, in the world. Please oh please read it, and find me. I believe that you can do it; you’ll know when you read the first word. I celebrated with my cat at home. I forgot to mention to you that I own a cat, his name is Tummus. Sort of like hummus but with a T at the beginning. I prepared him a dish of tuna while I had a bowl of green apple ice cream. It’s my favorite flavor of ice cream, I wonder if you like this flavor or the red apple flavor. There I go again, wondering about which flavor, or which apple you prefer. I can’t help it. But oh, I’m so happy that now there’s a chance for you to find me. Sleep well we’ll talk tomorrow.
With Fare Regards,
Your Writer
Dear Reader,

I know I shouldn’t do this; it’d spoil the fun out of you finding my book. It has a green and red cover the colors are split in half, that’s the hint I’ll give to you. I do have some bad news however, not a single copy of my book has been sold. The publishers are considering of dropping my book. I can’t let this happen; I need you to find it as soon as possible. Before the publishers drop it, you have to find the cover, and buy it. Don’t you want to spend those mornings on unexpected walks? Maybe you don’t like unexpected walks… I’m sorry if you don’t, we can spend the mornings instead on debates while having a smoke and a cup of coffee. Debate about whether green or red apples are better. I’m happy though, really. I’m happy that you listen to me talk about my over thinking thoughts about you. I’m just so, drawn to you. I feel like if we met, we’d be the closest friends in the entire world. I’d love that to happen, I want that to happen. Let’s make that happen okay?
With Fare Regards,
Your Writer
Dear Reader,

They dropped the book… I’ve now thrown myself into a depression in which only you can help me out of. You know why? Because when the publishers told me the news, they said this.

“We’re sorry that your book was unsuccessful. Even with only one sell, your writing just isn’t what the readers want. We’re sorry; please take this as an appreciation of your time with us.”

They then gave me a bookmark, as if I needed one. One book sold though, only one. I can’t help but think it was you that bought that one copy, who else could it, be? If the readers of today’s society weren’t into my writing, then only you could’ve bought that copy. Read it carefully if you did, the hints and clues come together. And soon, we’ll be together. I thought about how me and you could play with Tummus one day; have him run around the house. We’d then pass out on the floor out of exhaustion and stare at the ceiling.

“Do you sometimes make the cracks on the ceiling into pictures and they form a story?”

“I’ve never done that before.” You’d take a gasp of air and turn to look at me and say, “I love that about you, you over think about the small things in life that other people don’t notice because they’re too busy.”

I’d then turn to look at you, “You love that about me?”

“Yeah.”
That’s just one of those false realities I make up about you, it keeps me happy. We’ll be close friends soon. I promise.









With Fare Regards,









Your Writer
Dear Reader,

Tummus started to sneeze early in the morning. I had to take him to the vet today, he was alright just had a cold. So he’s on bed rest for now. Afterwards I headed toward my coffee maker, made myself a cup of coffee and sat on the patio in the backyard with a smoke. I realized something that I should’ve before, long before. Do you even smoke? I hadn’t realized this until I finished my cigarette, and felt selfish for not thinking about this before. I can only hope you come to my door step, with my book in your hand.

“Are you my writer?”
How happy I would be. But it’s so unlikely, there are billions of people in the world, only one bought the copy. So how could it be only you? One out of a billion. I keep staring at the two apples on my dinning room table. They’re so lonely, please tell me which you prefer.









With Fare Regards,









Your Writer
Dear Reader,

The days are growing long, and I’m becoming impatient upon your arrival. Out of my own selfish rage, I threw the apples out on the road, smashing them in the morning. You’re draining what I have left as a person, please come and refill what I’ve lost. I know I’m a terrible writer, I can’t escape that. I want to be better for you, I try so hard. Why can’t you try so hard to find me? I love you, I really do. Not that kind of love where people just want to have sex, I love you the way I see you. I know you, why don’t you know me? I can’t help myself to over think about these things, but can’t you try harder? I love you okay? You inspired me to write books and stories in the first place, and even when I’ve gotten beaten down by publishers I kept trying. Keep trying for me, I don’t want you to give up on me. Hopefully you’ll find another writer, to keep you happy. I loved you, I really did but I can’t keep this anymore. I’m sorry, please forgive me of my selfishness.

“I love you too. Please, don’t go.”

“This is un-healthy, I have to.” I’d turn my back, and start to leave.

“Stop trying so hard for me, and let me try hard for you. I know how hard it is to go without being published, even though I’m not a writer, I can’t get any of my creative works out there. Please, let’s go on an unexpected journey in the morning. Let’s buy two red apples.”


The author's comments:
Took on a tumblr challenge of writing a story where the writer falls in love with the reader.