New School, New Friends, New... Choices? | Teen Ink

New School, New Friends, New... Choices?

November 4, 2012
By Anonymous

September 20th, 2010

“What was the 23rd president? Ah, Miss… Youngblood, go ahead.” My new teacher asked

My mind raced for an answer, “F=ma!” The whole U.S. History class erupted with laughter.

I awoke with a jolt. Beep, beep, beep, my alarm clock rang. It was my first day at FDR high school in Bozeman , Montana .

I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom with my clothes in my hand. I reached the bathroom and realized I was too late.

I called out to my older brother, “Mark, get your butt out of the bathroom!”

“Hold your horses, lil’ sis. I’m almost done.” Mark complained

‘My horses are in the backyard.’ I thought as I walked back to my Gothic room. I got dressed into my black t-shirt that read ‘Love me, hate me, I don’t care.’ in maroon, and to go with it maroon skinny jeans with black converses.

I went to my black princess dresser and pulled out my spare brush and make-up. I’d gotten my hair brushed, and all of my make-up on when Mark barged in the room.

I grabbed the rest of my make-up, and darted for the bathroom, locking the door behind me. When I came out I felt refreshed and ready to go to school.

“Katrina! Hurry up or you’ll miss the bus!” My mom yelled at the bottom of the steps.

“Coming.” I muttered under my breath. I rushed down the stairs, grabbed my backpack and flew out the door.

I was the last stop on my bus. I got on the bus last, finding a seat next to a very tall, scrawny guy with curly brown hair and brown eyes.

“Hi.” The guy said in a soft, low voice.

“Hello.” I replied in a nice, quiet tone.

“What grade are you in?” the boy asked

“9th, what about you?” I asked him.


“12th, what’s your name?” he asked

“Katrina, what’s yours?” I questioned back

“Jasper. Do you have your schedule yet?” Jasper asked interested

“No, not yet. I have to go to the office after we get off the bus.” I explained

“Oh, well I can show you where it is.” Jasper offered

“I think I’ll take you up on that offer.” I told my new friend

That morning I was on time to all of my new classes. First hour was Physical Science B with Mrs. Stiff; Second hour was Choir with Mrs. Underwood; Third hour was Algebra with Ms. Larson; Fourth hour was U.S. History with Ms.Kanold; Fifth hour was English with Mr. Boswell; Sixth hour was Art with Mrs. Hadnot. In all my classes, but U.S. history, my teachers made me stand up, say my name, and tell the class one thing about myself.

In fourth hour I sat in back with a girl who had short brown hair, and a white
v-neck t-shirt with a pair of jeans that had flowers flaring up the right pant leg. Her face was concealed because she was reading with her hair draped over her shoulder. Once
Ms. Kanold called the class to order, the girl beside me put her book aside.


I looked over to see what she was reading. “Oh my god!” I gasped, “I love The Diary Of A French Vampire!”

My neighbor turned to look at me, “I know right! This is my first time reading the book though. I saw the movie for Halloween. What’s your name?”

“Katrina. What’s yours again?” I stupidly asked

“Alaizabel. You’re in my choir class.”

“Oh yeah. Now I remember seeing you.” I looked at my new best friend

Ms. Kanold started talking, so we started to pass a note.

‘ We have lunch in the middle of class.’ Alaizabel informed me

‘’Okay. Cool,’ I replied ‘ You can sit with my other friend and me at lunch.’

‘Okay, but I’m going to bring some other people with me.’

‘ That’s fine. They’re invited too.’ I wrote.

Just then the bell rang for lunch. Alaizabel ran out the door and waited for me in the hall, ready to show me the way to the lunch room. I took off down the red and blue halls, knowing where I was going.

“ You need to move your feet faster if you would want to survive in Utah.” I yelled back in time to see Alaizabel running toward me.

I got my lunch and sat down. Five minutes later I waved to Alaizabel to sit by me. When I turned to Jasper that we had some extra people coming to the table, he smiled a small smile. That moment I knew I had a crush on him.

October 7th , 2010

“Lizzy, Julie!!” I called to Alaizabel and our new friend Julie Cray, as I entered the blue and red bricked Choir room, “Guess what! You know how I've been crushing on Jasper for the past few weeks?”

“Yeah.” Alaizabel said slowly

“He asked me out.” I finished breathlessly

“Really! Oh my god, I’m so happy for you!” Alaizabel pulled me into a hug.

November 15th , 2010

The next month was terrific. Well terrific except for one thing.

“Alaizabel? I think Jasper still loves Amanda.” I went up to talk to her after lunch, in our tan fourth hour class room.

“What?! No! He loves you. I see the way he looks at you. Plus he hates Amanda with all of his guts.” Alaizabel said, trying to convince me.

“Key word there, ‘guts’.” I pointed out.

Alaizabel rolled her brown eyes behind her purple glasses, and pinched the bridge of her nose. “ You know what I mean.” She reached over and gave me a comforting hug.

December 5th , 2010

“ Do you know who’s going out with Amanda?” I went up to Julie.

“No, who?” Julie asked mildly interested

“Halix Pharaoh. Jasper’s best friend! All Amanda wants him for is his looks. Now Jasper is going through trauma.” I complained in a rush

“ Isn’t that kind of wrong?” Alaizabel asked behind me

“ Holy crap! Yes, that is very wrong!” I answered her question, still skittish from her scaring me.

“Do you know Halix?” Julie asked confused

“Yes, I know Halix.” I replied “ And he’s making a big mistake.”

January 4th, 2011

“Julie, Alaizabel, I have a huge problem.” I told my friends in choir. “I have a crush on Halix.”

“What!?!” Alaizabel and Julie cried in unison.

“I mean I hate Jasper and all, but Halix?” Julie explained, “Halix is cool, but really?”

“I know…” I trailed off guiltily

“Katrina,” Alaizabel caught my attention, “I hate to say this, but you have to choose.

“I know…” I trailed off again deep in thought.

February 1st, 2011

“ I love you.” I said to Jasper in a squeaky baby voice, outside U.S. History. Jasper just stared at me with distant eyes. “What’s wrong?” I ask with concern

“Nothing. I’m okay. Really.” Jasper said in quiet tone

“Alright, bye.” I left to go to my fourth hour.

February 7th, 2011

“ Jasper’s being way too clingy.” I complained to Alaizabel and Julie.

“ Yeah we were talking about that before you came in.” Julie told me.

“I don’t like it. It’s creepy.” I told them

“ Yeah, we know.” Alaizabel said


Bing, bing, bing, bing, bing, bing ,bing the bell rang. I went over and sat at my new desk in the front. Then I started to cry.

February 9th, 2011

Amanda came up to me in the large blue and red hall, and said, “Jasper wants me back in his life. He told me to write a letter that says how much I love him.”

The breath caught in my lungs. My jaw dropped to the floor. I was paralyzed with shock.

I slowly walked to my first hour dazed. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Alaizabel looking at me with concern. I sat down, and Alaizabel got up.

“Katrina, what’s wrong?” She asked

“I’ll tell you and Julie in choir.” I whispered

In choir I described the whole fiasco.

“About darn time, too.” Julie commented happily

Alaizabel hugged me from the back. “It’s going to be all right.”

May 23rd, 2011

I was walking to Algebra, when Jasper came up to me again. I leaned my head into Halix’s side and prayed for help.

“Katrina!” Jasper started desperately, “Please reconsider. Take me back. Please.”

“No Jasper.” I said calmly

“I love you. Please take me back.” Jasper begged.

“No Jasper.” I started getting angry.

“Please! I dumped-” Jasper was cut off by Halix.

“Jasper! She said no! Now stop!”

I looked up from Halix’s side and said loud and clear, “Jasper, go home.”


The author's comments:
This was my first finished story. Yay! Go writing!